• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Grimsby Town v Southend United, Friday 19th November, 1945KO, NL (Live on BT Sport)

Starting XI and Result

• Steve Arnold

Votes: 55 75.3%
  • Jason Demetriou

Votes: 23 31.5%
  • Rob Howard

Votes: 26 35.6%
  • John White

Votes: 14 19.2%
  • Kacper Łopata

• Shaun Hobson

Votes: 53 72.6%
  • Nathan Ralph

• Tom Clifford

Votes: 7 9.6%
  • James Dunne

Votes: 24 32.9%
  • Abu Ogogo

Votes: 23 31.5%
  • Harry Phillips

Votes: 35 47.9%
  • Nathan Ferguson

Votes: 25 34.2%
  • Louis Walsh

Votes: 36 49.3%
  • Zak Brunt

• Matt Dennis

Votes: 12 16.4%
  • Sam Dalby

Votes: 42 57.5%
  • Rhys Murphy

Votes: 51 69.9%
  • Matt Rush

Votes: 8 11.0%
  • Terrell Egbri

Votes: 7 9.6%
  • Charlie Sayers

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Harry Seaden

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 2 2.7%

• Win

Votes: 8 11.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 9 12.3%
  • Lose

Votes: 42 57.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shrimpergonzo

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver⭐
Staff member
Anyone fancy a Friday night in Cleethorpes in November?

Thought not, but that's what blues and their fans are faced with this week with the added bonus for those of us not able to make the trip that the game will be shown live on BT Sport.

For much of this season attention has been focussed on how Grimsby's Mr Robinson did a better job than Southend's Mr Robinson in overseeing the close season recruitment following our mutual relegation from League 2 last season.

However, in recent weeks the wheels have come off the Mariner's promotion wagon after 4 consecutive defeats (1 in the cup and 3 in the league), the most recent of which was at Mark Molesley's Aldershot Town.

Of course, the blues' own promotion wagon is still in the garage, propped up on jacks awaiting Kev and the gang putting the wheels on, so effectively the game is between two very much out of form sides - it's not set up to be a cracker, that's for sure!

After blues were soundly beaten by mid-table Woking last Saturday there has been talk of additional signings, system changes etc. One change that will have to be made for sure is someone to replace the crocked Jack Bridge - one of the brighter stars so far this season. Pictures of Tom Clifford in training were encouraging, as was Nathan Ralph's appearance from the bench last Saturday. The left hand side may not look too bad, but it's down the middle that we've looked leggy and vulnerable with Dunne, Ogogo, Ferguson and Phillips not really cutting the mustard so far.

So who will King Kev choose to start on Friday night and what will the result be? Over to you

Can't see much change from the last game except maybe Ralph in for Bridge, unless we go for a change of system and Maher springs a surprise, which I doubt.

Would be great to have Clifford start as a LWB with Ralph on the left of the back three and Hobson on the right, but don't think he is 100% match ready yet.

Is the game available on TV outside the UK?

Can't see much change from the last game except maybe Ralph in for Bridge, unless we go for a change of system and Maher springs a surprise, which I doubt.

Would be great to have Clifford start as a LWB with Ralph on the left of the back three and Hobson on the right, but don't think he is 100% match ready yet.

Is the game available on TV outside the UK?
I think your looking at a uk proxy vpn and buying a 30 day BT pass. Or chancing your arm on dodgy sites n apps

This is almost an away trip from hell or certainly has been in the past in my experience having seen us soundly beaten had the game postponed at six o'clock due to fog just as we were parking up and the last game of the season heartbreak at which a friend who got separated from us got a bit of beating by some local yobs.

So although not too hopefully of getting a result pleased to be able to watch this from my sofa safe in the knowledge there will be no spinning wheel to anoy me even if the result does.

This is almost an away trip from hell or certainly has been in the past in my experience having seen us soundly beaten had the game postponed at six o'clock due to fog just as we were parking up and the last game of the season heartbreak at which a friend who got separated from us got a bit of beating by some local yobs.

So although not too hopefully of getting a result pleased to be able to watch this from my sofa safe in the knowledge there will be no spinning wheel to anoy me even if the result does.
This place is just not good for the Shrimpers. I cannot remember a time where we've come away from there with three points. Hopefully tomorrow night our fortunes will turn.

As for that last game of the season heartbreak, I remember driving away from there and some of their fans kicking passing cars and causing trouble, their quite an unsavoury lot!

If ever we had a bogey team, Grimsby are it!

Come on Southend!

Looking forward to watching this one. Kevin maher darren currie and mark bentleys barmy army!

Must win for me...

I will be there, let's please go for a flat back four, two proper wingers and just go for it. Grimsby have lost 4 on the trot and must be fragile, we should attack from the start, nothing to lose. Everyone expecting defeat anyway so let's go down fighting and not sitting back, you never know, fortune favours the brave.

My prediction narrow 2-1 defeat, having taken the lead. UTB

Have never got over that final day draw at Grimsby in 2005. One is a visit is too many.

It wasn't for nothing Baron Cohen named his movie after the town, even though some of it was filmed in Grays. Oh! The irony.

Would we currently compete with the likes of Stockport based on last night's Cup win? Hmm...
Chapeau to all those headed there. The medal is in the post!

I would prefer to sit on a national express coach to Birmingham and back, next to the toilet than travel all the way to Grimsby to watch those clowns.

The quicker we get some more new players in the more chance we have of surviving this stinking horrible league.

Gutted, had tickets and then son tested positive for Covid but club excellent and issued a refund straight away so BT sport for us, not the same as being there and hate missing away games. Going for a sneaky 1-0 win

Gutted, had tickets and then son tested positive for Covid but club excellent and issued a refund straight away so BT sport for us, not the same as being there and hate missing away games. Going for a sneaky 1-0 win

Shrimpet had you rattled.

Hope your son is OK. My oldest has just tested positive as well but no symptoms so she's frustrated about having to cancel weekend plans.

This is going to be the same as the England vs San Marino game Monday ?

Can see this being our smallest away attendance all season: away game on a Friday, televised, last train to London leaves at 21:30, quite the trek and a former regular haunt for seasoned travellers. Looking forward to it, nonetheless!

Last edited:
I've never visited Grimsby and truth be told I've never wanted to. Clue is in the name.

As for the game. I'll watch it on the box and fully expect us to get smashed.

Hope I'm pleseantly surprised. I'm flying out to lanzarote on Saturday morning and miss the Maidenhead home game.

Be nice to come back to 6 points

I've never visited Grimsby and truth be told I've never wanted to. Clue is in the name.

Hope I'm pleseantly surprised. I'm flying out to lanzarote on Saturday morning and miss the Maidenhead home game.

If we do tommy, that means your banned from every future game ?

Only chance you'll have of coming back to 6 points is if you get caught for speeding on the way to the airport.

In all seriousness i'd take a draw for this one and sneak a win against Maidenhead

Sorry to hear about your son and hope he is ok. Good to hear that the club did well with the refund.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back