• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Napster

No ⭐
Following on from Uxbridge's post - can we name an eleven of players who were amazing elsewhere but pants here?

1. Neville Southall (578 appearances for Everton, 92 caps, 2 titles, 2 FA Cups, 1 ECWC)
2. Chris Ramsey (FA Cup finallist with Brighton)
3 Frank Lampard snr (2 caps)
4 George Parris (300 appearances for West Ham)
5 George Molyneux (2 caps, FA Cup winner)
6 Percy Sands (Arsenal captain, FA Cup semi-finallist, one-time record holder for Arsenal appearances) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percy_Sands
7 Lars Unger (Werder Bremen and former German under-21)
8 Darryl Sutch (Norwich hall-of-famer)
9 Paul Williams (top goalscorer for Charlton, circa £1m transfer for Sheff Weds, League Cup winner, 1 promotion, Championship winner, runner up for top goalscorer in Championship)
10 Eddie Firmani (3 caps, but only player in history to score 100 league goals in both England and Italy)
11 Kevin O'Callaghan (Ipswich record transfer under Bobby Robson, 21 caps, 2 promotions, UEFA Cup)

Subs: Trevor Whymark (Ipswich legend - 75 goals in 261 appearances, 1 cap, FA Cup winner (didn't play)
Norman Uprichard (Considered one of Swindon's top 100 players, 18 caps)

To be fair, Firmani was still a class act when he played for us, by all accounts.

Michael Ricketts would be in with a shout. Red hot during that spell with Bolton with 15 goals in his first Premier League season by February. And then the descent began. Played for England off the back of that spell but didn't score. Didn't score for Bolton again that season. 4 in 38 then for Middlesbrough. 0 in 25 for Leeds. Then failed at Stoke, Burnley, Southend, Preston, Oldham and Walsall before getting sent off 14 minutes into a return game against Southend United for attempting to punch that renowned nasty bit of work... Kevin Betsy!

Michael Ricketts - we salute you!

:smile:

I'm being a little harsh here perhaps, but Michael Kightly was released by us to few people's great disappointment and went on to England U21 honours and play in the top flight.

Paul Byrne is remembered fondly by many at Celtic for a great goal scored in an Old Firm game, but by us as more of a ****head.

I'm being a little harsh here perhaps, but Michael Kightly was released by us to few people's great disappointment and went on to England U21 honours and play in the top flight.

Paul Byrne is remembered fondly by many at Celtic for a great goal scored in an Old Firm game, but by us as more of a ****head.

To be fair to Kights, I've gone from peaks in early career to troughs in late career at Southend. I could have put Collymore, or even Powell who made over 200 appearances in the Premier League and won 5 caps after us. Granted he was great for us, but that's an excellent, achievement for a Shrimper.

To be fair to Kights, I've gone from peaks in early career to troughs in late career at Southend. I could have put Collymore, or even Powell who made over 200 appearances in the Premier League and won 5 caps after us. Granted he was great for us, but that's an excellent, achievement for a Shrimper.

Yeah, even as I was typing I felt it wasn't quite in the spirit of the thread!

We'll see ever fewer examples of top players slumming it with the likes of us as invariably they just don't need to money-wise. The days of top internationals ending their careers in the lower leagues are largely behind us.

Don't you read the last line?

To be fair, the gap between playing in Serie A and playing at Roots Hall is still massive.

No greater than the gap between the Premiership and Roots Hall (in fact the latter is greater now we're a division lower), so on that basis you could include anyone who has played in the Premiership.

Hooper must be worth a shout to replace him.

I think Firmani was excellent for us, scored lots of goals but the manager only wanted players who ran about all the time, which was never his style.
Trevor Whymark was one of he biggest disappointments, showed no sign of class when with us
Surely George Parris was only a trialist, so maybe a it harsh to include him.
In 1977 we signed some guy whose name escapes me - scored lots for Middlesborough in Div 1 but did nothing for Sunderland and was no good here

In 1977 we signed some guy whose name escapes me - scored lots for Middlesborough in Div 1 but did nothing for Sunderland and was no good here[/QUOTE]

David Young - ugly blighter......

Sorry, you could be referring to Alan Foggon too here.......

I know he didnt play for us , Bobby Moore will always be rememberd as the manager of a bad team at a bad time .

Billy Kellock appeared for Wolves v Spurs in a first division fixture in the first ever BBC live game before signing for us and then was absolute pants.

Back