• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

half time game

stainless shrimper

Can someone plaease explain to me what the deal is with the new half time game. The spaeaker wasn't working where I was sitting in the south upper and I didnt hear a word of what he said, so I haven't got a clue what it was all about.

Ok. theres four balls. One at the edge of the box. One about six yards outside the box, one about halfway between the 18 yard box & the halfway line and one on the half way line. Plus theres a piece of plastic sheeting covering the bottom half of the goal.

Whoever "wins" the draw gets 45 seconds to take one shot with each ball. If they get the ball in the top half of the goal three times out of four, including from the halfway line, they win a car.

However this is about ten times more difficult than the previous competition was.

ok - i'm not able to watch this, but i have a hint

if you win the draw, knock in the couple closest to the goal, on the way to the ball on the half way line just hoof the third ball anywhere you want so as not to waste valuable time, then you should have enough time for a good attempt from the halfway line

or have i not quite grasped the concept of this

Al

Does anyone know the timings of todays events at the meet the blues day?
Cos ive got a bad cold and dont fancy standing in the wet all day.
If the clubsite is rite then i get the feelin the new away shirt is not available on the day...another great bit of club pr if true.
So more lemsips and see you there!
sad.gif

How is anyone going to get it from the half way line? Also, are they always going to use an opposition fan as well as a Southend fan because the Norwich fan did OK yesterday compared the Southend lady who completely embarassed herself
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (zulu_shrimper @ July 24 2005,09:25)]ok - i'm not able to watch this, but i have a hint

if you win the draw, knock in the couple closest to the goal, on the way to the ball on the half way line just hoof the third ball anywhere you want so as not to waste valuable time, then you should have enough time for a good attempt from the halfway line

Al
shooting the ball in the back of an empty net from the half way line isnt that hard, you just need a bit of lift, power and to hit it straight. however what usually happens is the ball lands on the groundaround the penalty area, takes a couple of bounces and roles in the goal. to score from the halfway line you need to either get a lucky bounce or hit it high in the air at the exact angle with the exact amount of power so it drops in the net under the cross bar and over the banner. its near impossible. beckham did it and even the great pele couldnt do it. i know there were keepers in the goal but very badly positioned and these were the great players of the world i mean Pele, what a player. also when pele attempted it and beckham did it the ball was slightly moving and hittting a moving ball is easier that a still ball. i think that ford are well safe of keeping the car this season.

another thing in previous season the winners of shoot for the car always seemed they came from a box. they were well dressed and never wearing a blues shirt, with smart shoes on, not trainers or anything, very suspicious. they couldnt even get the ball off the floor from the edge of the box. now imagine how hard it is to score from the half way line with a pair of slip on loafers.

It looks insanely difficult, much more so than the original game. One of my mates who sits in the East stand said they were calling it easier than the old one and 'really wanted to give a car away this year'.

Yeah right, whatever.
tounge.gif

at meet the blues day the official site says that tilson and his squad tried out the new halftime challange. out of a squad of PROFESIONAL footballers, only tilson himself managed to succesfully do the challange, so how is any other tom dick or harry supposed to win

[b said:
Quote[/b] (zulu_shrimper @ July 24 2005,09:25)]ok - i'm not able to watch this, but i have a hint

Al
O, its easy then
tounge.gif

Thanks

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Alex @ July 24 2005,16:09)]at meet the blues day the official site says that tilson and his squad tried out the new halftime challange. out of a squad of PROFESIONAL footballers, only tilson himself managed to succesfully do the challange, so how is any other tom dick or harry supposed to win
I'm sure after a few pints I'd think I could do it.

tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Alex @ July 24 2005,16:09)]at meet the blues day the official site says that tilson and his squad tried out the new halftime challange. out of a squad of PROFESIONAL footballers, only tilson himself managed to succesfully do the challange, so how is any other tom dick or harry supposed to win
Sign him up, sign him up, sign him up!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Alex @ July 24 2005,16:09)]so how is any other tom dick or harry supposed to win
i think thats the idea. they don't want to give the car away each week do they?

[b said:

Al
I'd go for the half way line one first (while still having a bit of energy!) and then successively nearer ones finishing with the nearest. That way you would only have to cover half the distance too.

Using this tactic would change it from virtually impossible to ........ er, virtually impossible.

Another own goal, won't be buying any of those tickets, lottery sounds easier!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wiggy @ July 24 2005,19:35)]Another own goal, won't be buying any of those tickets, lottery sounds easier!
That's your choice, we've just tried to make it a bit more interesting as the old format was getting tired.

We'd love to give a car away, in fact we really want to, it doesn't cost the Club anything as it's all insured.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (McScriven @ July 24 2005,19:29)]There's other prizes though for getting 1, 2 or 3 in though.
Ok, thats good. That wasn't what was said yesterday though.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (southender @ July 24 2005,19:01)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Alex @ July 24 2005,16:09)]so how is any other tom dick or harry supposed to win
i think thats the idea. they don't want to give the car away each week do they?
Or ever, its there for a laugh for the fans, and some of the efforts last season were funny.

My only concern is that in January/Febrauary, in the cold, this could be dangerous, due to slippery conditions.

Especially the winter tuesday night game, which 2500 attend

Back