• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Happy 30th Birthday

MK Shrimper

Striker
sinclair_zx81_1.jpg

Anyone have one? It certainly kicked started my love of programming, computers and general nerdyness. Ah the memories of wobbly RAM packs, Mazogs......

Mazogs.screen.gif

I had one. I sold it at a boot fair in about August 1991...with it's 16k ram pack (wow!), but no leads!

I always coveted my mates brothers ZX81.

Until I got a Commodore 64 for Xmas when I then thought he was a pikey ****.

Yep, I had one. Think it cost around £50 back in '81.

It's amazing how far we've come since then. Unexpanded the ZX81 had 1k of RAM. My PC now has 4Gb, so approximately 4,000,000 times the amount!

As for programmes, who can forget the 5 minute loading time of a dodgy copy of a game off an old C90, or typing in pages of programming from a magazine, only to find that at some point there's a typo?

Never had one, my first computer was a C64. Its amazing to think how far we've come in a relatively short period of time!

Never had one, my first computer was a C64. Its amazing to think how far we've come in a relatively short period of time!

Moore's Law. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moore's_law

I always coveted my mates brothers ZX81.

Until I got a Commodore 64 for Xmas when I then thought he was a pikey ****.

However British Z80 Processors are far more economic than American wasteful 6510 ones :winking: Hence why modern PC's have huge amounts of memory just to run Windows. C64 was my fave computer though, beyond a shadow of a doubt.

ZX81 > ZX Spectrum > C64 > Amiga > PC.

Moore's Law. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moore's_law

However British Z80 Processors are far more economic than American wasteful 6510 ones :winking: Hence why modern PC's have huge amounts of memory just to run Windows. C64 was my fave computer though, beyond a shadow of a doubt.

ZX81 > ZX Spectrum > C64 > Amiga > PC.

Certainly remember using the Spectrum for classroom teaching back in the 80's.

Really? Not confusing it with the BBC Micro?

The BBC Micro came a little later I think. They had them when I was in secondary school, yet the ZX Spectrum was early on in my junior school. Mind you, at Secondary they also had a few older computers.....the legendary.......Commodore Pet!

commodore_pet_2001-321.jpg

Mattel Intellivision
Acorn Electron
C64
Amiga
Sega Master System
Sega Megadrive
PC
PS1
PS2

That was my computing/gaming history. I haven't yet succumbed to the PS3/Xbox generation. The Electron was rubbish in general but that was the computer I wasted spent many valuable hours playing Elite so will always hold a special place in my heart.

Back