• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Official Match Thread Harlow Town v Southend United U23's Essex Senior Cup 3rd Round

On the back of that performance, Wabo's double should hopefully mean he will be involved in the CheckaTrade thingy next Wednesday.

SOUTHEND United’s under 23 side fought back from two goals down to triumph 5-2 at Harlow Town in the third round of the Essex Senior Cup tonight.

More...

On the back of that performance, Wabo's double should hopefully mean he will be involved in the CheckaTrade thingy next Wednesday.

It certainly maintains him above Ba, if there is a pecking order, I think.

Be interesting to see if he appears on the bench on Saturday, as a starting point.

No, I followed it live on the OS twitter site.......did you go?

You see this is what winds me up. I understand it’s not everyone’s cup of tea and it may not be accessible to everyone to go to Harlow for a 23s game, but to say Wabo should be included in a first team squad based on following the game live on text just infuriates me!

I’m not to say whether he should or shouldn’t but it just seems the endless calls for Wabo or Ba to be included in a 1st team game are based on text updates!!

Yes I went. Harlow isn’t far for me so it was convenient to be fair.

I've got to ask this, if I may.

In post #22 on the Hopper injury thread, you posted a really excellent point about giving opportunities to younger players and alluding to the fact that we won't know how good they are unless they are given a chance. Highlighting Dru as an example.

Since then, there's been suggestions that certain players could fit in that bracket, yet it seems none are up to the standard.

So, is Wabo one to try and see how it goes or should we get shot at the first opportunity?

CP sees these players day in, day out. Just because Wabo knocks in a few against a team of decorators, milkmen and students doesn't mean he's ready for pro Lg1 football.

By all means give him time on Saturday if we're comfortably ahead, but please don't think he's the new messiah on the back of a win against Harlow.

In fairness, no-one is.

What some are saying is that he is our own player, developed through our system and has appeared as a sub on a few occasions and impressed more than others who have been given more game time and are not even our own players.

He has impressed, when seen by the loan clubs supporters, as well.

The point is, before we start dipping into the January Sales, shouldn't we really be sure we haven't got someone in our own ranks who might just cut it at League 1 level more than we think.

Yes, Norman deserves a chance in the cup matches. We were very fortunate when we got Britt Assombalonga on loan but every team wants a good striker so doubt there will be too much available in January - let's give our own players a go rather than take a loanee from a bigger club who also lacks experience.

My thoughts on the game briefly.....The first half was poor by most of not all.

We struggled to adapt to what was possibly the worst Astro surface since QPR in the 80s! But we also looked like a group of players that felt technical ability was enough to win any game of football. Harlow were bigger quicker and stronger while we took too many touches played with no pace or purpose.

In saying that and despite being 2-0 down we still had good chances from Hutchinson early on and Wabo who went round the keeper but couldn’t find the target, as well as several other opportunities that with better decision making could easily have been goals.

The second half was a transformation! If they got the proverbial kick up the backside at half time it was fully deserved but they also changed formation, Rene came off Phillips moved the left after having no impact whatsoever through the middle, Hutchinson went to the right and Ba came on up front with Wabo.

Almost immediately Hutchinson cut inside and slipped a ball to Wabo who held off his man and toe poked into the top corner from an angle.

The next few minutes we literally peppered their goal with shots from all angles and it was no surprise when Phillips slipped in Hutchinson who turned and drilled it low into the bottom corner for 2-2.

From then on Harlow collapsed!! Hutchinson returned the favour to Phillips who was then fouled for a penalty...which he took and missed with a tame effort, fortunately the rebound fell straight to him 4 yards out with an open goal!

It became the Harlem Globetrotters show after that. Hutchinson, Klass and Phillips all had good efforts and all 3 over did it a little. Phillips then played Wabo in for him to score his second (rounding the keeper and this time finding the target!) and Erin Kineli who’s come on as a sub scored with a great bit of skill as he twisted round 2/3 hapless defenders and poked it home.

Overall a great comeback and a worthwhile learning curve for the players in realising that work rate and competing against adults is vital and without it you will struggle!!

My thoughts on a few players :-

Klass - he is clearly a class act. However he needs to play quicker and with more purpose. He has undoubted talent and some things he did were outrageous!
However he needs to look at his end product......he had several shots and although all well struck, none tested the keeper or hit target and he didn’t have a single assist....on the other hand Hutchinson and Phillips both scored and both assisted twice....

Wabo - look this boy lives for goals. It’s all he is interested in. If you think he should play on the first team then be prepared for what you will see...he’s very much in the Jermaine Defoe mould. He’s quick and agile and doesn’t mind working BUT his hold up play his link up play and his ability to combine and create for others is non existent. I’m not saying if he’s good enough or not, what I am saying is know what your looking at when you see him or you will be disappointed. Yes he can score, he’s a 6 yard box poacher and shoots at every opportunity and I think if given the chance he could transfer that into the first team but rest assured he will simply give you very little else....

Ba - Only played a half but I think he made a huge difference when he came on. It may have been the formation, it may have been wind assisted or it may have been the *ollocking at Ht, but he came on and created space for others and added an injection of energy and enthusiasm that was lacking first half. He won’t get the goals Wabo does but does more for the team.

Hutchinson - There’s something about this kid I like. First half he didn’t have the best of times tbh, his touch was a bit off he got caught on the ball a couple of times....but he produced one or two moments that set him apart from others.
Second half it was like he knew he’d underachieved and showed good intelligence to work out how and why and within 20 mins he’d assisted Wabo, scored the equaliser and played in Phillips who was then fouled for the penalty.
He over done it a little after that but he moves well with the ball can see a pass and clearly knows where the net is. He’s also the most two footed player in the squad and can play either side although he’s clearly happier centrally.

Phillips - An enigma inside a puzzle. Totally anonymous first half. Offered nothing whatsoever. Second half he moved out left and once we took control he looked very good. He also had two assists (Hutchinson and Wabo) and scored the rebound form the penalty. He clearly has talent and clever with the ball at his feet. My worry is how effective he is in tighter more physical games. He makes little or no effort to defend or win the ball back at all.

Rene - not his best game, but I feel for him....in the Cambridge Checkatrade game I thought he was excellent, I also thought he was one of the better ones v Colchester (although not as good as previously). Both games he played CM whereas last night he seemed to be on the right wing with little or no service and seemed a little lost in terms of his role. He definitely has talent but didn’t really perform last night.

Bishop - Looked very assured. Sharp off his line a couple of times and is very confident. Didn’t have a great deal to do tbh but done enough to show if he has a loan move it should be higher than Bostik Prem!

Of the others, Taylor Curren was excellent, possibly the best I’ve seen him play (although I’ve only seen a handful of games)

Overall, do we have talent in that squad? Yes most definitely! What will they look like in first team games? Who knows. It’s a big step up. CP will see them training in and around the first team and if they can get a chance in checkatrade or as subs then they need to take their chance!

What I would say is remember it is exactly that.....they are trying to break through. Don’t expect to see the finished article in game 1....look for glimpses...look for the ones who can keep the ball well under pressure...who can be trusted in possession and who can understand tactically their roles and responsibilities....if they can do that then given time they will make it.....and by given time I mean from us, the supporters who at times can be ruthlessly impatient!!!

Last edited:
Fantastic report 'Grapevine' and a godsend for so many of us who don't get to these games.

Particularly interesting reading your comments on the performances of Wabo and Ba.

That's exactly how I see Norm. Yep, he won't be a hold up player, but neither are any of the other options particularly and certainly the likes of Harrison last season, wasn't.

What he does possess is the desire to score goals. It sounds odd, as you would think that all strikers would, but too often they don't and too much value is placed on their contribution away from the goal.

However, give me a fella who wants to score goals and yep, I'll take him every time.

Good example of Norm is the below from around 1:30 in. I was right behind that shot and that was travelling and going in. Reminded me of the sort of thing Freddy use to do :-

Anyone going to the next round at Waltham Abbey?

There will be a few ground hoppers as I don’t think we have played there.

I will certainly try and go. The under 23’s and under 18’s have been real good value so far this season...there are some other perks, like at Orient you could go in the main bar and had a good view from inside. Didn’t have to rush your half time pint etc.

Well worth a couple of you jumping in the car... What else will you be doing on a miserable winters night.

Back