• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Hartlepool by bike!

Status
Not open for further replies.
[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Fitter @ Dec. 01 2005,16:13)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (wiggy @ Dec. 01 2005,15:02)]Might give it a go!
It depends.

Will you be riding a Chopper?
That will be tonight after Eastenders!

Maybe Lance Armstrong is a closet Southend United fan & stumbled upon this message board and used the psuedonym "Wiggy" as a reference to the hairloss during his cancer treatment.

Hence, if this deduction is correct, I predict South East Essex to Hartlepool would take about 11 hours
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (wiggy @ Dec. 01 2005,16:22)]
[b said:
[b said:
It depends.

I'm not enjoying that thought.
sad.gif

Well lets see;

By car = 7 and a half hours including stops.
By bike (avoiding all motorways)
= on average 6 miles an hour
= 298 miles /6 hous
= 49 and a half hours continous cycling

but you will never do 6 hours per hour so you are looking at 70 hours

Well, according to the AA, it's a shade over 300 miles:

Roots Hall to Victoria Park avoiding motorways

As a cyclist, you can assume that you'll be able to manage 12 m.p.h. - but let's be conservative and say 10 m.p.h. (makes the numbers easier).

That would represent a raw figure of 30 hours' worth of cycling.

You should then factor in that you need probably a 15 minutes stop every hour - for a breather, a wee etc., and 4 longer stops during a days' cycling - an hour for lunch, an hour for tea, a coffee break etc.

So, factoring in fitness levels, breaks, meals, sleep and things like punctures, you'll be doing well if you cycle for more than 6-7 hours in a day. So, let's presume you'll travel 70 miles a day, then it should take you somewhere between 4 and 5 days to get to Hartlepool from Southend.

Oh, and it'll take between 4 and 5 days to get back, obviously.

wink.gif

So long as you set off first thing on Tuesday morning and put a big day in, then you should theoretically be in Pools in time for a 3pm kick-off on Saturday; coming back, you should be back by some time on Thursday the following week.

That said, out of an abundance of caution, I'd clear two weeks in your diary - leave Southend on the Monday, and bank on getting back by the Friday after the game.

cool.gif

All part of the friendly SZ advisory service, you know...

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SUFCFARAWAY @ Dec. 01 2005,16:26)]= on average 6 miles an hour
That's bloomin' slow cycling, if I may say so.

I'm not exactly Lance Armstrong, but I can achieve 12 mph cycling in London - it's pretty standard cyclist speed.

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (moneypit23 @ Dec. 01 2005,16:25)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (wiggy @ Dec. 01 2005,16:22)]
[b said:
[b said:
It depends.

I'm not enjoying that thought.  
sad.gif
I am! Bit bored, just trying to get more replies than the ' Harlepool by train' thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back