• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Hartlepool By Train?

overseas shrimper

Life President⭐
Thanks to all you ORM wannabes for closing the Hartlepool thread!

I had asked a sensible question which, being out of touch, I would appreciate any help going.

What I'd like to know is... are there any cheap train fares up to Hartlepool if booking in advance?

Yours Sensibly

OS

tounge.gif

I know - I started it all off with a sensible question of who is going an how are people getting there and certain people had to turn it into Billy Bonds Fantastic Circus.

On the train situation I went on nationalrail.com and it came up with nearly 200 quid for a ticket! what a joke! that can't be right!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SUFCFARAWAY @ Dec. 01 2005,15:27)]I know - I started it all off with a sensible question of who is going an how are people getting there and certain people had to turn it into Billy Bonds Fantastic Circus.

On the train situation I went on nationalrail.com and it came up with nearly 200 quid for a ticket! what a joke! that can't be right!
Cheaper to fly.

Where's MtS when you need him? He's the man for rail research!!!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ Dec. 01 2005,14:43)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (SUFCFARAWAY @ Dec. 01 2005,15:27)]I know - I started it all off with a sensible question of who is going an how are people getting there and certain people had to turn it into Billy Bonds Fantastic Circus.

Cheaper to fly.

100 pound return from gatwick to newcastle with BA.

we're waiting.........
tounge.gif

It's still a fair old trek to Monkeyhanger land from the airport (as it's north of Newcastle), and with no easy rail-links.  I remember there is a direct train-link from Newcastle to Hartlepool but it's a really slow train and follows the coastline and seems to stop every 5 minutes or so via Sunderland & the MetroCentre.

I don't think anybody does cheap domestic flights to Tesside airport as that would be your better bet if you were flying.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SUFCFARAWAY @ Dec. 01 2005,14:48)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ Dec. 01 2005,14:43)]
[b said:

Cheaper to fly.

100 pound return from gatwick to newcastle with BA.

we're waiting.........
tounge.gif
Similar from Stansted (Easyjet).
You would need to allow at least an hour and a half from airport to Hartlepool station.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ Dec. 01 2005,14:43)]Where's MtS when you need him? He's the man for rail research!!!!
As for getting there by train, there are two options - one if you fancy a beer up there first; one if you prefer the quicker journey time and getting there 30 minutes before kick-off.

Make your own way to London - you don't need my advice for that.

- - - - -

Then, it goes as follows:

Train from King's Cross to Darlington
dep 13:30 arr 15:55  

Change trains, Darlington to Durham
dep 16:06 arr 16:22

or

Train from King's Cross to York
dep 15:00 arr 16:46  

dep 16:58 arr 17:58

Walk from Durham train station to Durham bus station (only about 5 minutes - it's near the
red circle on this map)

Catch no. 22 bus from Durham bus station to Hartlepool
dep 17:12 hrs arr 18:14 hrs  or
dep 18:20 hrs arr 19:18 hrs

Get the driver to let you out in Hartlepool as near as possible to the junction with Raby Rd and Middleton Way, and you'll be pretty much at the stadium.

For the sake of ease, you may want to stay in Durham after the game, in which case you can get a 22 bus back to Durham from Hartlepool Town Centre:
dep 22:20 hrs arr 23:18 hrs

You can then get a direct train back the next day from Durham to London:
dep 10:45 hrs  arr 13:45 hrs

Costs:

Train = cheapest seems alas to be the Saver Return at £88 at the moment - but that may be because they haven't released the cheaper single fares yet.

Bus = £5 return.

Will that do you...?!

tounge.gif

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Dec. 01 2005,17:33)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ Dec. 01 2005,14:43)]Where's MtS when you need him? He's the man for rail research!!!!
As for getting there by train, there are two options - one if you fancy a beer up there first; one if you prefer the quicker journey time and getting there 30 minutes before kick-off.

- - - - -

or

Walk from Durham train station to Durham bus station (only about 5 minutes - it's near the
red circle on this map)

Get the driver to let you out in Hartlepool as near as possible to the junction with Raby Rd and Middleton Way, and you'll be pretty much at the stadium.

For the sake of ease, you may want to stay in Durham after the game, in which case you can get a 22 bus back to Durham from Hartlepool Town Centre:

Costs:

Train = cheapest seems alas to be the Saver Return at £88 at the moment - but that may be because they haven't released the cheaper single fares yet.

Bus = £5 return.

Will that do you...?!

tounge.gif

Matt
You might prefer to stay on that 13:30 to Newcastle, where it connects (or should) with the 16:30 train to Hartlepool arriving at 17:13.

Admittedly you would be missing out on the delights of standing around at Darlington, a walk across Durham and over an hour on a bus but you would arrive an hour earlier.

(An extra hour in Hartlepool ? Is that good or bad ?)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Dec. 01 2005,18:33)]
[b said:

- - - - -

or

red circle on this map)

Costs:

Bus = £5 return.

Will that do you...?!

tounge.gif

Matt
Well researched yet again.

Cheers, Matt.

Seeing as you've done trains from London, Matt, how about trains and prices from Cheltenham?!
biggrin.gif

Back