• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Help?

Honestly I’ve loved doing this mate and I would certainly recommend anyone else to do it. My partner bought me one of them ancestry DNA kits, you’d be surprised what turns up. Regarding the family tree, it seems Charlie wasn’t the only talented sportsman. My nan on my dads side had 2 uncles, Dennis and James Hunt, who played together for Swansea RFC, Dennis even scored a try at a packed St Helens (Swansea rugby and cricket ground), in a 10-3 win over the all blacks, making Swansea the first club team to beat the top 3 Southern Hemisphere teams, that was around 1935-ish. I even found video footage of the game and him scoring the try. My nan’s family on my mother’s side also had some sporting talent. Her grandfather Fredrick George Scrine, also played for Swansea RFC and quite unbelievably, also scored a try against the all blacks at St Helens 30 years prior to Dennis. My nans brother Frank Scrine was a footballer, playing for Swansea Town (as we were back then) and Oldham Athletic, also making 2 appearances for Wales. As a massive sports fan in general, you wouldn’t believe how proud I am to have found all these things, but so disappointed at the same time because none of this talent seems to have been passed down to me haha!

Last edited:
Great to hear your story and see your enthusiasm. I too have a similar story as I have two ancestors who were professional tennis coaches c1900+ one of whom was described as being ‘one of the finest professional tennis coaches in the world’. As this is a football forum, I won’t go into detail but I can really appreciate your desire to delve further and find out as much as you can about your ancestors. It is so rewarding.

Talking of Swansea, I had one of my greatest memories as a football supporter there in 2006. Happy days.

It really is intriguing, especially when you find stuff like that involving your own family.

Yeah i vaguely remember you bringing a good few thousand down the year you got promoted I’m assuming. I always hated playing you lot, Freddy Eastwood always seemed to chip in with a goal or two. I have made a visit to Roots Hall, possibly that year infact. Gutted to see you drop out of the league though. I was actually a mascot down the vetch against you as a kid, I’m sure you put 3 or 4 past us and had 2 or 3 men sent off as well. One of them I believe was Mark Gower, who helped us on our way to the premier league.

Back