• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Latest Rumours Herd to Cardiff?!

Smiffy

¡Viva la Aussielución! 🇦🇺 🦘 ⭐️
Staff member
Quote from the not so reliable rumours website - Here

Cardiff City are set to sign these following players:

Johnny Herd – Lb– Replacement for Capaldi – Southend

Coming from me here in Portugal, on the Cardiff tour!

Surely not?

Wow, thought he'd be one of the last with speculation this summer to be honest.
I guess if they watched the chelsea game, they couldn't have seen much bad though!

It's only a dodgy rumour, BUT, if a championship club is interested, then Herd is good enough and Tilly needs to play him regularly and tie him to a long term deal if not done already

I would have Capaldi in return (Plus a fee obviously) He is a left back after all...

It's only a dodgy rumour, BUT, if a championship club is interested, then Herd is good enough and Tilly needs to play him regularly and tie him to a long term deal if not done already
Got too go along with this,if Cardiff think him good enough, then he has got to be played in league 1, wonder what type of contract he is on.

In my opinion he is too lightweight to cut it at L1 level, let alone CCC!

Of course he has attributes but he has failings too.

Lets get some money in.

Cardiff can keep their dirty sheep bothering hands off or I'll report them to the police for interfering with a minor.

Lets get some money in.

Blimey... not often I disagree with you, fbm, but I don't share your views on Herd. We were all saying the Moose was a bit lightweight as he emerged from the youths, yet look at him now. Johnny simply needs to go on a similar training / bulking regime, and then he'll be the real deal - good in the air, cultured left foot, decent turn of pace on him and his fantastic long throws.

I'd be very disappointed if getting Herd to bulk up - and thence into the first team - wasn't a major priority for the club. I'd certainly not like to see him shipped off to Cardiff for a pittance.

Matt

Herd is the absolute bollocks. People have short memories of what he did last season... set up Peter Clarke at the Bridge, held his own and didn't look out of place in the league. He's a quality youngster and I think could be a huge player for us in the future. I'd be very worried about both our finances and our squad if we cashed in one of our biggest prospects.

Blimey... not often I disagree with you, fbm, but I don't share your views on Herd. We were all saying the Moose was a bit lightweight as he emerged from the youths, yet look at him now. Johnny simply needs to go on a similar training / bulking regime, and then he'll be the real deal - good in the air, cultured left foot, decent turn of pace on him and his fantastic long throws.

I'd be very disappointed if getting Herd to bulk up - and thence into the first team - wasn't a major priority for the club. I'd certainly not like to see him shipped off to Cardiff for a pittance.

Matt

I, similarly, would be very disappointed to see one of our brightest prospects leaving........not to mention the loss of any of our, precariously,
small squad.

I'd be absolutely amazed if we sold a LB when we're supposed to be looking to buy one.

Of course if a large wad of cash was raised under our noses that would finance a move for someone like Harding that might make sense.

Lets get some money in.

For my reaction to this please see my avatar to the left of the screen.

Thank You.

I'd be absolutely amazed if we sold a LB when we're supposed to be looking to buy one.

Of course if a large wad of cash was raised under our noses that would finance a move for someone like Harding that might make sense.

(a) That would be short term-ism of the highest order.

(b) I doubt Cardiff would wave large wads of cash under our nose - no one seems to do that to us.

(c) I'd rather we brought back Che Wilson as cover for a year and kept hold of Herd, than blow all the wages on Harding (who might choose to walk at the end of his deal a la Peter Clarke).

As I hinted in a post yesterday, Johnny got a fair few admirers from the Division above when he had his chance in our team. Reading were very, very interested and at one point I really did think he'd be going there.

It wouldn't surprise me one little bit if a Championship team came back in for him.

Matt

My thinking here Matt is this:

1) They are just a few months apart in age but Franck came through earlier (at 16/17) and was obviously still going to grow a bit. Johnny was 19 when he broke through which is actually quite late to expect any more physical growth other than bulking up what is a lightweight frame.

2) You can easily be a short and lightweight midfielder. Some of the best players have been of this stature... Alan Ball, Billy Bremner, Johnny Giles, and more recently and globally Maradona, Juninho and Deco. Can't think of too many top class full backs that are small.

3) The defensive side of Johnnys game is actually quite poor. He doesn't get close enough to his man, he runs away from the ball and back towards his own goal too often and he is easily brushed aside. On the plus side he has quick feet, is good going forward and can pass pretty well as well as having a long throw. But he's not THAT quick, not THAT cultured and his throw isn't THAT long.

4) He'll do a job, certainly, but I have serious doubts as to whether he will be a stalwart of the CCC in time. My guess is he may drop to conference level where he will be a decent enough player.

Having said all that, we need a left back and he's certainly good enough to fill in. However, if it's a decent offer from Cardiff then if we can get a replacement I think it would be good business to move him on.

I, just like Matt am slightly surprised at your dim view of Herd, fbm. What you have to remember about him is that he was playing park football at the age of 15 and has had a meteoric rise. He's not had the advantage of being at a club from an early age. To play as well as he did at Stamford Bridge, baring in mind he's someone who suffered nerves when he first played for the first team in pre season friendlies, is nothing short of fantastic.

I'm sorry but this is just one of the most ridiculous rumours i've ever read on here, Cardiff have a new stadium and Premier$hite inspirations, they will not be in the market for a L1 reserve LB, no matter how talented

If AndyS (the only poster on here who has proven to know what's going on inside the club, many times) has heard (no pun intended) rumours about CCC clubs being interested, then it doesn't make this rumour beyond the realms of possibility. Herd put himself in the shop window after playing so well against Chelsea.

Back