• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

High Spirits in Iraq

Xàbia Shrimper

Co-founder of ShrimperZone
Following on from the "Kokomo / Kosovo" video of last week, here is the Royal Dragoon Guards version of Peter Kay's "Road to Amarillo" that has received so much media exposure this week.

I'm pretty sure most of you have seen it but a special message to chadded ~ if and when you get posted to Kosovo mate, these sorts of things really do help to pass the time; I'm almost envious!

Amarillo

WS

Quality.

Put my dreamsheet in this week regarding posting. Get it through in about 2 weeks.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (chadded @ May 20 2005,22:12)]Quality.

Put my dreamsheet in this week regarding posting. Get it through in about 2 weeks.
Ah ... my dreamsheet once read :

Cyprus
Canada
Australia
Bosnia
USA

Guess which one I got ... ?!

WS

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Xàbia Shrimper @ May 20 2005,20:25)]
[b said:

Cyprus
Canada
Australia
Bosnia
USA

WS
I presume Cyprus before the days when the Uk Armed forces got banned from almost everywhere? It;s a #### first posting apparantly for me anyway, mainly a PADS sort of posting.

Hopefully I'll get C********r.
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (chadded @ May 20 2005,22:29)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Xàbia Shrimper @ May 20 2005,20:25)]
[b said:

Cyprus
Canada
Australia
Bosnia
USA

WS
I presume Cyprus before the days when the Uk Armed forces got banned from almost everywhere? It;s a #### first posting apparantly for me anyway, mainly a PADS sort of posting.

Hopefully I'll get C********r.  
smile.gif
What are you?

WS

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Xàbia Shrimper @ May 20 2005,20:42)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (chadded @ May 20 2005,22:38)]PADS are married and accompanied personnel.
I know. That's why I was asking, you skipper ...

WS

tounge.gif
Oooo, but if you read the words before it, youd see that I'm not a PAD, so ner :P

I got C********r for my first posting -join the army and see the world? Not in my case! I did get Cyprus with the UN though for 6 months and a cracking good posting it was. We shared a bar with the scaleys, BTW Mike.

Hmmm... I was drifting, not settled at any particular job. I'd had 6 months as a CO in the Civil Service, which clarified in my own mind that I never ever wanted to work in an office or commute to London again. Also at 19 I couldn't see any other way of being able to leave home. More negative reasons than positive, I'm afraid, but I don't regret my time there. I joined the Army Air Corps, and would have loved to get onto aircrew which in the army is very attainable for the lower ranks, but my colour vision let me down. I got my HGV which has been useful, but if I could go in again I would go for something like the Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers (REME) so that I had a proper trade.

Always wanted to. It's the best thing I've ever done. In seven months, I've been adventure training, learnt to drive, been to France, and got paid a decent wage. And I'm still in phase 2 training.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Xàbia Shrimper @ May 21 2005,09:16)]Everyone should do it, at least for a minimum two or three years.
I really don't agree Mike. Yes, for a lot of people a stint in the Army would do them a lot of good but I really don't believe it is the right thing for everyone. I for one know that I would not react well to the sort of discipline that Army life entails - but I still managed to be a fairly well rounded adult without National Service.

Believe me I'm not knocking it, my cousin only recently came out of the Army after a 5-6 year stint and spent time in Northern Ireland, Afghanistan and Iraq and I and the whole family are very proud of him. However, as I say - it's not for everyone.

Back