• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Tommy2holes

Life President⭐
After a very solid start and a good performance by the fringe players against higher league opposition I was wondering how far this team can go.

Personally think we have a stronger and more exciting squad than last year who really have a very good chance of finishing top 3.

How does this team compare to the last team that got us out of this division ? I think this team has better quality on the ball.

Still think we are two quality players away from contending for the title, maybe another proper goal scorer and a creative central midfielder.

As for the current bunch it all depends on luck with injuries and keeping our discipline to avoid suspensions, the latter has massively improved under Brown.

So if we are 'lucky' as we were under the Tilly back to back promotions, I can't see why we can't get automatic promotion this season and make an attempt for top ten next season.

In terms of strength in depth I think our squad is up there. I'd expect us still to be able to grind out tough wins in Jan or Feb. However, like Silencer says, I think we're maybe missing a touch of genuine quality in the final third which will help us unlock tough defences.

Definitely think that things are looking good and I've not sensed this much positivity for a long time.

Far too early to say. Signs are good but we've had 2 league games, one of which was against many people's favourite to get relegated. It could all come crashing down tomorrow. Ask the question after 10 games if we're still doing as well.

They've already been to Madrid. Is that not far enough for you?
Perhaps we can arrange a pre-season training camp in New Zealand next year!

If we can keep this squad together for 100 years they could become legends and our ground known worldwide as Fortress Fossets Farm :whistling:

Defo think we have a chance of promo, but I've said that the last three years. Get knocked out of the cups early and concentrate on the league is my theory.

We are all full of hope and aspiration, but it is still way too early to call this. The squad definitely is stronger than last year, a consensus we all appear to agree on (unusual on here!) so we will make progress, but it does depend on so many things, not least, predatory higher clubs taking our best players if we are doing well.

Still think we are two quality players away from contending for the title, maybe another proper goal scorer and a creative central midfielder.

As for the current bunch it all depends on luck with injuries and keeping our discipline to avoid suspensions, the latter has massively improved under Brown.

So if we are 'lucky' as we were under the Tilly back to back promotions, I can't see why we can't get automatic promotion this season and make an attempt for top ten next season.

Fully agree.
a creative midfielder and a genuine goal scorer would top this squad off nicely.
Sadly both are rare and / or expensive at this level.

Yep agreed, although saying that how on earth AFC Wimbledon pulled off the signing of Matt Tubbs I'll never know - would be great to snap up someone in that mould. If not, at the other end of the scale Elliott Lee is scoring loads for West Ham development squad in pre season, he would be worth a punt.

Hopefully with Weston now amongst the squad that can mean extra goals from Midfield too

a creative midfielder and a genuine goal scorer would top this squad off nicely.

I'm not sure I understand the phrase "genuine goal scorer" .......... genuine meaning authentic and actual?

When Myles put the ball in the net on Saturday he looked genuine to me - and so did Barney the previous Saturday .............. they all count you know.

Back