• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

How many names is too many?

Chaps,

Again I come to you all for advice.

Tomorrow I will be heading to the civic centre to register the birth of my son who we have decided to call "William David Gracie".

But the other day the missus suggested we add in the name of her Dad into the middle so that it would be "William David Ian Gracie" (or perhaps I should spell it Iain to preserve the scottish blood!), now I have no problem with the name and I initially suggested that we go down that route until I realised that "WIG" just doesn't seem right.

However my problem is I feel it is just plain weird to have more than 1 middle name and basically told her where to go. Having thought about it for a while I'm wondering whether it's not such a bad thing and would be a nice gesture.

What are your thoughts and opinions on this?

Last edited:
Two middle names is no doubt 'different from the majority', but I'm certain it's not weird. I know at least three other people with two middle names, so it's never seemed that strange to me.

With the names you're suggesting, I think both versions sound pretty good.

my old flatmate was nigerian and had over 20 middle names!

I've got two middle names well - named after my two grandfathers. Nothing wrong with it in my view.

my friend gave birth to a baby boy in March and it has 12 names, not counting the surname.

And no I don't know what they all are!

[first name] Paul Dean Chris Peter Spencer Steve Paul Dave Andy Ian Brett [surname]

i think 3 names including first and surname with one in the middle should be it.

Why? That's a very blinkered view. I have four initials (i.e. two middle names) and have never thought that it was a problem.

Matt

to be honest i've never even thought about this topic until this thread.

I don't have a problem with people having 4 or 24 middle names. All my 3 kids have just the one which is my preference.

Back