• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

With 16 players under contract and 2 on non-contract terms, SUFC currently has 18 players guaranteed for next season.

2 more players have options or are in discussions with regard to extensions (Gilbert and Kalala)

Sturrock is rumoured to be looking at another 5 signings ........... plus he uses trials during friendlies to add to the squad.

It might be unlikely that all 5 current targets will sign .......... so if I say 4 sign and another couple of players are "unearthed" during the friendlies and only 1 of the 2 existing players is signed up, I get a total of 23 contract players and 2 non-contract.

That sounds about right to me given that Strurrock may well also have a contingency pot to allow him to bring in loan players if required.

Yeah I think 23 feels about right. It's comprehensible that at stages of the season we'll have 6/7 plays out injured/suspended. With that we'll probably have dipped into the loan market and so I reckon we'll be ok. Having a versatile squad is key, IMO.

Could be less though - if we only sign 3 of those being targeted and if Gilbert and Kalala are not kept on (views seem to be split on the merits of this), then we could be down to around 20 - and 2 of those would be relatively inexperienced goal-keepers. Then the squad might look to be a little thin in places.

If Gilbert were to go we would need a left back.

All depends on who these 5 players are that we are talking to. They may be replacements for Gilbert/Kalala.

Think 23 is a decent size, although we had less under Tilson.

Good point, Jam Man - perhaps it is the club that is delaying discussions with Gilbert and Kalala whilst they talk to possible replacements ......... Gilbert has been inconsistent and the fitness of Kalala is an unknown factor.

I do have a great deal of sympathy with players out of contract - I would have loved to have been a professional player but it can't be much fun trying to get another club if your contract is expiring. :sad:

could be replacements for this fella....

Sky Sports understands Blackpool have had a fresh bid for Southend United's highly-rated Bilel Mohsni rejected.

The Shrimpers have just taken up a year's option on the French stopper, who can also play up front, but they face a fight to keep him.

Seasiders boss Ian Holloway has been tracking Mohsni for over 12 months and has had bids rejected in previous windows, but he is now looking to press through a deal this summer.

Blackpool are understood to have lodged their new bid earlier this month but Southend again rejected their advances.

A number of other Championship clubs, including Middlesbrough, Bolton and Burnley, are also continuing to monitor Mohsni's situation.

Back