• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

HTC Desire

pringlejon

Pringello Indexinator
Anyone got one or used one. I'm on a shocking contract at the min and need to change (can cancel current contract at any time).

Want to get an android phone but dont know if this is the solution. Am looking at deals on www.buymobilephones.net

The guy at work who sits next to me just got one a couple of weeks ago.
He really likes it and feels it's a better option for him than say an iPhone.
He said the battery life was dodgy but has now turned off (or lessened) a lot of the background processes and gets almost 3 days out of a full charge. He's on 3 and got a good deal.

HTC phones are rubbish, batteries need recharging couple of times a day unless you turn half the functions off.

Kay is right... I swapped my 3G iphone for a Desire and initially it was ok, but just too many niggles and I kept coming back to the feeling that 'it isnt an iPhone'.

Some of the things that annoyed me;

1) Sunlight - couldnt see the screen AT ALL. I know most phones suffer, but literally saw nothing on the Desire.

2) Keyboard is rubbish, far too sensitive and spent as much time correcting mistakes than texting, Was literally every other word needed correcting. I'm pretty fast typing on the iPhone with far fewer mistakes.

3) Apps. Obviously most platforms cannot rival the iPhone, so its a no-brainer. The App marketplace on Google is a mess (all in different currencies for a start) and just generally nowhere near the quality.

4) Battery - battery does suck - and when people say "ah well, if I turn off X,Y and Z its ok". Fine, if you want to compromise!

5) Text messaging app is just poo. 3rd party ones are ok, but again "not as good as iPhone".

I just found the whole experience frustrating and felt I was compromising just to be different, so I went back to the iPhone and got a 3GS and I dont care if I'm a sheep!

There were some good points of the Desire;

1) Camera is excellent - flash is a bonus

2) Google Maps integration was brilliant too, probably my favourite feature.

My advice would be to get an iPhone 4G.

I was looking at the HTC Desire as it is full of spec & most techs like that, however, if it is a pain to work & live with I will have to save for the Samsung Galaxy S as the iphone would put up my tariff a bit with Orange.

I was looking at the HTC Desire as it is full of spec & most techs like that, however, if it is a pain to work & live with I will have to save for the Samsung Galaxy S as the iphone would put up my tariff a bit with Orange.

Check out some of the deals here dashman.

Dash, we were told to turn the bluetooth off whenever you're not using it, but when you're in and out of a car that's just not practical. Within half an hour of taking it off an overnight charge, you lose a bar and as Paul says, you just can't see the screen in bright light (turning the brightness down as the shop did yesterday to save battery is just a ridiculous idea when you struggle to see it anyway!). The apps are excellent but it just doesn't do what it's designed for really.

I believe a lot of the shops currently hold little stock of HTCs as they are gradually being withdrawn because there are so many problems with them.

HTC phones are rubbish, batteries need recharging couple of times a day unless you turn half the functions off.
OBL for a smart phone thats normal ! for an HTC to run for 3 days is fantastic . Iphones must be recharged everyday ! (its all usage !!!)

HTC are basiclly the best smarts at the moment . IF youve had teh Iphone its going to be strange , you have to do more with it . AS both HTC and Apple us the same tech for their screens , both are useless in direct sunlight (its a disadvantage of LCD tech).
Most test find its the touch screen is a personal issue anyway and you will have to get used to both . Apple make their products to work out the back with no fine tuning .... and thast it it never gets better . Other makers give you some leeway .

Basically if you want to get one and fiddle and make it your own do so . If you want it all in a plate (and occasionally your signal dies because your holding it ;) ) Get an Iphone

Last edited:
Also it appears teh newer batteries require time to achieve a full charge (unlikle older lithium's which had a memory and if you didnt charge correctly (or over time ) . The charge capacity got smaller.

Back