• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

DTS

The Business
I think Sturrock has done well this window in dumping some of the dross such as Prosser, Zabooub and Spencer.

Sawyer has been I think a great potential signing and the emergence of Kane Ferdinand as a first teamer seems to have added a bit bit more depth to the midfield.

However I still think were woefully lacking a right winger and also a 2nd striker maybe.

I really hope Sturrock can bring someone in tomorrow that can add a bit more to the squad as I think we have seen there is nothing to be scared of at this level.

I'd be disappointed if that's it, as I'd like us to make a signing or two from non-league with a view to next season.

I'd rather we picked up the new Ryan Hall now, so he's got 6 months to get use to professional football, training every day, learning Sturrock's systems etc so he'd be in a position to contribute from the start in August.

The only signings that I'd expect to have an impact on this season would be loan signings and the window doesn't shut for that.

Ideally I would like us to sign a striker and/or winger with a bit of pace, even if they are quite raw from non-league, and only play for 20 minutes or so from the bench.

On the other hand if the price for not making any further signings was keeping Grant & Moshni (both rumoured at various times to be leaving) I would not be too disappointed.

I doubt we will get anybody until the transfer window closes. Once this has happened I expect PS will sign a couple that didn't go during the window, on a loan for the remainder of the season.

For me, another striker, as Corr is as mobile as a super tanker. He is clinical as long as he doesn't have to do too much. We need a decent winger so that we don't have to play Sores!

With that beingthe minimum we need, I think we can push on and sneak a play off spot.

I think we may get 1 maybe two tomorrow. Suspect one, and it will be a striker (maybe Sodje). Our proximity to the playoffs may now help with that.
To me in some ways more important is that I see us retaining bothy Grant and Mohsni. Frankly if we needed the money come not may we could hawk both around and get decent fees for both- so if they stay, as I think they will, it tells me that the finances are now managable and we we are looking to future. We have already added Sawyer and Commingues so one or two more and I think things are looking really good.

I doubt we will get anybody until the transfer window closes. Once this has happened I expect PS will sign a couple that didn't go during the window, on a loan for the remainder of the season.

For me, another striker, as Corr is as mobile as a super tanker. He is clinical as long as he doesn't have to do too much. We need a decent winger so that we don't have to play Sores!

With that beingthe minimum we need, I think we can push on and sneak a play off spot.

eh? For a targetman, Corr's about as mobile as they come. His injury is hampering his movement somewhat, but if you compared his with the likes of Akinfenwa then only then can you appreciate how mobile he is. I do agree that we could use with something extra up front, someone with a bit of pace to work with the other forwards we have, but I'd also agree with YB's sentiment that we should be buying for next season, rather than this one.

eh? For a targetman, Corr's about as mobile as they come. His injury is hampering his movement somewhat, but if you compared his with the likes of Akinfenwa then only then can you appreciate how mobile he is. I do agree that we could use with something extra up front, someone with a bit of pace to work with the other forwards we have, but I'd also agree with YB's sentiment that we should be buying for next season, rather than this one.

Revs & Prince Harry, to name two, were both a lot more mobile, but I will accept that he is carrying an injury which doesn't help him.

We aren't doing too badly right now and have a bit of depth, so as others have said, I'd take the best result of this window keeping grant and mohsni and maybe picking up a loan or freebie in the coming weeks when needed.

I'm confident that we'll see a quick striker arrive tomorrow or in the next week or so.

I think Sturrock has done well this window in dumping some of the dross such as Prosser, Zabooub and Spencer.

Sawyer has been I think a great potential signing and the emergence of Kane Ferdinand as a first teamer seems to have added a bit bit more depth to the midfield.

However I still think were woefully lacking a right winger and also a 2nd striker maybe.

I really hope Sturrock can bring someone in tomorrow that can add a bit more to the squad as I think we have seen there is nothing to be scared of at this level.

I think we're fine with what we have. Obviously if someone is available that improves on what we have then sign them. But I don't think we need to sign people for the sake of it. Also think "woefully lacking" is a tad OTT regarding a right winger if you look at the system we have become more comfortable playing, playing another winger means leaving out 1 or 2 of Grant/Easton/Ferdinand/Sawyer/Sturrock. Soares is Ok if we need a right sided player.

I think we're fine with what we have. Obviously if someone is available that improves on what we have then sign them. But I don't think we need to sign people for the sake of it. Also think "woefully lacking" is a tad OTT regarding a right winger if you look at the system we have become more comfortable playing, playing another winger means leaving out 1 or 2 of Grant/Easton/Ferdinand/Sawyer/Sturrock. Soares is Ok if we need a right sided player.
Unfortunately, I would have to disagree with you. Nothing much wrong with the team we are puting out at the moment, it may even be good enough to get us out of this division. The problem comes with those little inconveniences called suspensions and injuries...........Coughlan could be out for a while ......Grant picked up a knock at Barnet..........and love him as we may, who knows the next time Bilel (or anyone else for that matter) will see red. The TEAM is fine (apart from perhaps a speedy striker).........but, in my opinion, the SQUAD needs strengthening.
Having said that, we sadly appear to be dealing with the double whammy concerning the quality of player we are searching for........firstly, I imagine that there are some who don't want to come to Southend due to the events of last year and secondly, others who just don't want to play League Two football. You can have as many targets as you like.............if they wont sign, there's not much you can do about it. I know that it is probably not PS's prefered option but I feel that he may have to settle for loan players. If at the same time, we can hang on to Grant and Mohsni..........keep them fit and free of any long suspensions......we just could see the season through to a successful conclusion.

Last edited:
Revs & Prince Harry, to name two, were both a lot more mobile, but I will accept that he is carrying an injury which doesn't help him.

Maybe, but did they score goals!??!!...I am pleasantly surprised with the number Barry has notched!

Maybe, but did they score goals!??!!...I am pleasantly surprised with the number Barry has notched!

As we know, both have scored a fair few since leaving RH, especially Revs who has scored 13 this season at a higher division!

3 weeks ago Sturrock said definately 3 or 4 players in. 2 weeks ago, it was 2 or 3, last week it was 1 or 2, now it maybe a grand total of 1.

I admit that we had to get people off the wage bill as Sturrock has said, but we have shipped out Zaboub, Prosser, Spencer and maybe Bouzid and brought 1 in with Sawyer.

We are so short up front that we had to play a centre back there, and we haved had a succession of loan players, Jarvis, Midson, German etc.

I will be deeply dissapointed if we don't sign at least one more after the spiel that we have been told by the club.

3 weeks ago Sturrock said definately 3 or 4 players in. 2 weeks ago, it was 2 or 3, last week it was 1 or 2, now it maybe a grand total of 1.

I admit that we had to get people off the wage bill as Sturrock has said, but we have shipped out Zaboub, Prosser, Spencer and maybe Bouzid and brought 1 in with Sawyer.

We are so short up front that we had to play a centre back there, and we haved had a succession of loan players, Jarvis, Midson, German etc.

I will be deeply dissapointed if we don't sign at least one more after the spiel that we have been told by the club.

Poor Comminges....:sad:

Have we not all ready signed 2 players? - Comingues and Sawyer. I am also not sure that playing Moshni up front is just because we are short of players - it was a gamble that played off against Bury when we were chasing the game (stick a big man up front and see what he can do) that was carried forward into the next 2 games. Given his mixed performance at Barnet I expect Moshni to revert to defence against Oxford.

I am sure it was (and still is) the intention to bring in 3 or 4 players and would not be too surprised if another player is signed before the transfer window closes

Back