• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I know I'm going to be hated for this ...

In response to the opening post, if we had lost that last game against Sunderland I dread to think what state we would be in now. So for the feeling of euphoria that I experienced for days after the result, I am oh so very glad we stayed up.

9812282.jpg

A not to be forgotten moment.

It's why you are a football fan and I wouldn't want anyone to not experience that, I just can't believe we'd be so thoroughly directionless now. Hey, who knows, Sunday May 3rd 1.50pm, you could relive it with a victory that keeps us up against Shrewsbury :-) I've hired the pitch for a game with mates the next week, will get some shrimperzone fans in on it too if we stay up!

Still time to pull it around. Looking more unlikely every week, but there's 111 points left to play for. Ron needs to sign a manager and the bad apples need sidelining.

Still time to pull it around. Looking more unlikely every week, but there's 111 points left to play for. Ron needs to sign a manager and the bad apples need sidelining.
99 actually but I take your point.

I would Never ever ever wish for league 2 no matter what happens. Its the bloody pits

My 9 year old had the time of his life going on the pitch after Sunderland. Moments like that make all the s**t worthwhile. We’d have struggled down there this season, big time.

with Bury & Bolton's situation we basically only have to be better than two other teams.

with Bury & Bolton's situation we basically only have to be better than two other teams.
Actually, the ones we need to catch are 5, 6, 7 and 8 points ahead of us now with a +10 advantage on goal difference, so we need be at least six points better than two other teams.

Actually, the ones we need to catch are 5, 6, 7 and 8 points ahead of us now with a +10 advantage on goal difference, so we need be at least six points better than two other teams.
The supreme optimist in me says that if we could win our next two games against Wimbledon and Tranmere ( and Tranny lose at Covo this Sunday), then we would be out of the relegation zone.
Nurse........

Ah...………….. patient Stuart.....your stay at Runwell has been extended for as yet, an undefined period of time.

We intend to re-address your optimism after the appointment of a new manager.

As much as Chris Powell was a playing legend and he had an horrendous injury list , I really don’t think we’ve had anyone with Sturrock or Browns knowledge and ability since those two.

They both knew the type of player we need in L1 and L2 - Timlin , Corr , Cresswell , Barratt, Atkinson and several others.

Our team had no character, guts or guile.

I think SBH said it on another post , but I agree that I feel totally distant from these players and feel none of them care about SUFC - something I believe all those I mentioned above did to some extent
I can’t argue with that but it underlines the fact that we are in as bad a position now as when Sturrock arrived to find he only had one 1st team player (A. Grant) still here. Fortunately he knew our level well and had the contacts to build a team in just a few weeks. Although not world beaters they knew how to battle and get results to give us a far better season than we expected. We need a similar type now who knows and understands our level with contacts to bring in players who would be happy to play for us and battle 100%. Otherwise It will be league two for many seasons to come if we survive. Sorry if this may sound defeatist but I think I’m being realistic.

Last edited:
Phil Brown was doing a decent job for the club and fans and then we signed Ranger. Plenty said he was bad news and we all got shouted down and now here we are.
Of course it’s not all down to this but it was the start of dressing room unrest and led to Phil having to go and now here we are.
Signing that filth was the worst thing we’ve ever done in the 35 years I’ve been coming.

My 9 year old had the time of his life going on the pitch after Sunderland. Moments like that make all the s**t worthwhile. We’d have struggled down there this season, big time.

But where was he when Derby where taking the **** back in the late 80s/early 90s?

Slightly off topic , and as great a ‘day’ it was against Sunderland, part of me dislikes that we were celebrating ‘not being relegated’.

Slightly off topic , and as great a ‘day’ it was against Sunderland, part of me dislikes that we were celebrating ‘not being relegated’.

Totally agree, it was a great day but in no way can be compared to other great victories.

Totally agree, it was a great day but in no way can be compared to other great victories.

No sure it did. I went home with a smile on my face but not the same buzz like I had after our true triumphs like Wycombe or Man Utd.

Back