• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I-Tunes has made me cry

Davros

The Whippet
So, went onto my Dj laptop last night, and thought it would download a few songs (usually do it on my home pc and transfer them across as dont like taking that laptop on the net, but the mrs was in bed in the room the desktop was).

Anyway, Itunes insisted i upgrade my itunes to Itunes 10. Whats the harm i thought...

Well, the harm was i have lost 1/3 of my library, from what i can only establish were the files that were mp3's and not m4a's.

The tracks still appear in Itunes, but if i click on it, it says it cannot locate the original track.

Has this happened to anyone else? If so, are my songs gone, or have they been moved elsewhere on my drive?

Help needed asap, as need to use my laptop for dj'ing on friday, and if i do need to put the songs back on there manually, that is two loooooooong nights :sad: :'(

Where are the original files kept? I think I-tunes 10 had an update whereby everytime you add a song to I-tunes it would automatically make a copy in the I-tunes folder in My Documents > Music > Itunes (something like that). With 9 though I think you had to do a Consildate Library which would then make a copy of any files into this folder.

All I can think is that where it has updated, the old files are still in the same old place and not in the Itunes Library Folder which is where the Itunes songs will be getting references from. So just do a search on your Computer for a name of one of the files of the missing songs and it should show up. It wouldn't just delete them

Use Windows Media Player. At least that doesn't require you dropping trousers and letting Steve Jobs have his wicked way with you first.

steve jobs having his way with you > bill gates having his way with you

But previosuly the files had all been kept in I-Tunes music, as they had all been imported from CD via I-Tunes. According to what i have read online its an issue to do with I-Tunes and MP3's, there are apprently a number of fixes, assuming the files are still on the drive somewhere.

I would like to punch every smart arse who's only comment to Yahoo answers etc is 'Wouldn't it be a good idea to have a back up'

Will have a hunt for them tonight searching via Mp3, prey they be there!

Thats a strange one, never heard of it being a problem. So are the files still in the Itunes Library Folder then?

In fairness though they do have a point about backing them up (waiting for slap to the face...) especially if you are using them for DJing. I picked up a 1TB hard drive the other week from Curry's for £50 in a sale and it works a treat. Plus if your hard drive ever went on your laptop or Desktop then you will still have the files and it would save weeks of having to re import every single song via CD.

trust me Mr Guiness, the purchase of a 1TB hard drive has moved right up the list!!

Toddy, to be fair a lot of what has been deleted is mainly the disco cheese etc, as that was the first stuff i put on there (also Nows 22-49 have gone) so its more future weddings im worried about than Friday (that and the fact im not getting paid). That said, i would like to have the choice back! (if not i can still battle through with the near three thousand tunes that did survive the transition!)

Whats really annoying is that i spent a long time going through the songs etc assigning them Genre's so they would be easier to find when DJ'ing (ie Disco, Party, 70's, 80's), and also in my DJ software had sat there for hours putting a lot of songs in to the channels and out again so it would record and save the BPM's for future reference. Hopefully the basis works on the song rather than the file, else im going to have to do that all again as well. That said i think that would be the case even if i had backed it up.

All in all, not having much luck with the End Of Season Do, since last year the left channel of my amplifier started to go. On the plus side it was better that it went there than at my next gig (MK Shrimpers Wedding), and the new amplifier is more powerful and weighs less... maybe they'll be a happy ending to this story too!

Last edited:
I'd be surprised if it had deleted all of the mp3's. I reckon that it's reorganised your music, so in Itunes it's not pointing to the right place and says it's not there.

Could come round and have a look if you want?

I'd be surprised if it had deleted all of the mp3's. I reckon that it's reorganised your music, so in Itunes it's not pointing to the right place and says it's not there.

Could come round and have a look if you want?

Thanks for the offer mate, but have a committee meeting tonight... fortunatly some chap that you might refer to as 'Gaffer' is coming along also, and has offered to lend his expertise.

Yeesss! All songs now back in the right place. For some reason during the update it moved 11gb of music in to the album artwork folder. Wtf!!

Yeesss! All songs now back in the right place. For some reason during the update it moved 11gb of music in to the album artwork folder. Wtf!!

I think I have the same issue. Exactly how did you go about moving it back to where it belongs?

I think I have the same issue. Exactly how did you go about moving it back to where it belongs?

Copy and paste the folder (as it creates a main one in the artwork folder) back into the main music folder.

I then had to import all the songs back into i-tunes, but all the info was saved as before (ie the genre changes i had made etc)

However, i then had to go through an delete all the 'dead' songs that had lost there link... that is the annoying noise Kev referes to!

Back