• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

If it happens....

Rbs_shrimp

So if we get the ground this will be our 4th home unless you want to count Roots hall twice. Anyway, this being our 4th move how many teams in the English leagues have moved so many times?

There cant be many teams with this amount or more. Alot of the bigger clubs have been at their grounds since the beginning and updated them accordingly. So any statos out there who know?

Arsenal moved four times as well, they had two grounds in South London before moving to Highbury and then the Emirates.
I think :p

everton have had 4 stadiums and are lining up another one at the momentand man utd have had 4 stadiums as well

So if we get the ground this will be our 4th home unless you want to count Roots hall twice. Anyway, this being our 4th move how many teams in the English leagues have moved so many times?

There cant be many teams with this amount or more. Alot of the bigger clubs have been at their grounds since the beginning and updated them accordingly. So any statos out there who know?

I would count the original Roots Hall as a 'ground' it was in a totally different position to our current ground. Also you should include New Writtle Street as it was our home ground during the 2nd World War.

So Fossets Farm will be our 6th home ground.

I'm sure some clubs have had more grounds than this especially in their early years when football grounds could be built virtually anywhere. Quite a few clubs used to move grounds & take their old stands with them!

Last edited:
I would count the original Roots Hall as a 'ground' it was in a totally different position to our current ground. Also you should include New Writtle Street as it was our home ground during the 2nd World War.

Wasn't it about 50ft higher up than our current home or something like that?

The Football Grounds Guide offers the following as a list to the number of different home grounds. I have included moves to and from a former ground as a separate home.

The Tops for moves though is QPR, by quite a long way!

Arsenal:6
Villa:4
Barnet:3
Barnsley:3
Brum:4
Blackburn:4
Blackpool:7
Bolton:4
Bournemouth:4
Bradford:1
Brentford:6
Brighton:5
Bristol City:3
Bristol Rovers:7
Burnley:2
Bury:1
Cardiff: 6
Carlisle:3
Charlton:10 (The Valley 1912-13, 1924-85, 1992 to present)
Chelsea:1
Cheltenham:2
Chester:6
Chesterfield:2
Col U: 1
Coventry:4
Crewe:6
Crystal Palace:4
Darlington:2
Derby:3
Doncaster:6
Everton:4
Fulham:10 (Craven Cottage 1894-2002, 2004 to present)
Gillingham:1
Grimsby:3
Hartlepool:1
Huddersfield:2
Hull City:6
Ipswich:3
Leeds:1
Leicester:7
Leyton Orient:5 (not including 2 games played at Wembley Stadium)
Lincoln:2
Liverpool:1
Luton:3
Macclesfield:2
Man City:7
Man Utd:5
Mansfield:4
Middlesbrough:5
Millwall:6
MK Donalds: 10
Newcastle:2
Northampton:2
Norwich:3
Forest:7
Notts County:4
Oldham:5
Oxford:7
Peterborough:1
Plymouth:1
Portsmouth:1
Port Vale:5
Preston NE:2
QPR:17!!!! (13 different venues)
Reading:6
Rochdale:1
Rotherham:3
Scunthorpe:3
Sheffield Utd:1
Sheffield Weds:7
Shrewsbury:4
Southampton:5
SOUTHEND UTD:5
Stockport:7
Stoke:3
Sunderland:7
Swansea:4(?)
Swindon:5
Torquay:5
Spurs:3
Tranmere:3
Walsall:6
Watford:3
WBA:5
West Ham:4
Wigan:2
Wolves:4
Wrexham:2
Wycombe:4
Yeovil:2

My anorak is now safely back on its hanger.

I was surprised aswell, but Mr Benedict is right:

Newton Heath played on a pitch from 1878-1880 before their first move to North Road Monsall. Their Next move was to Bank Street, Clayton. Changed name to Manchester Utd in 1902- moved to Old Trafford in 1910. In 1939 Old Trafford had its largest attendance ever with the FA Cup semi-final between Portsmouth and Grimsby (76,962).
After heavy bombing of the Trafford Industial Area in 1941, Man Utd moved to Maine Road until 1949. Old Trafford now has a capacity of 76,000, so with further redevelopment, it won't be long until Old Trafford sees it's highest attendance as an all seater ground! I think they are thinking of the ground increasing to 90,000.

90,000! God I hope they do a Leeds.. Would love to see that stadium with 17,000 against M.K. dons

90,000! God I hope they do a Leeds.. Would love to see that stadium with 17,000 against M.K. dons

You never would though. Even though a lot of Manure fans are glory hunters, at least they seem to stick with their team when they're going through a 'lean' patch (i.e. not winning the league for a few seasons).

Besides, they have far too much financial clout - even considering their debt - for anything like that to happen.

As for their stadium expansion, IIRC there's planning difficulties which are preventing them from taking OT's capacity up to 90k...

As for their stadium expansion, IIRC there's planning difficulties which are preventing them from taking OT's capacity up to 90k...

There's one last stand (the old main stand on which another tier could be built), I don't think Salford MBC are keen on it, partly due to the issues another 15,000 on match-day would cause in the local area. I think it would also cause design issues in getting it built, there's hardly any spare space behind that stand IIRC and I think maybe even part of the canal the other side of their fence so they can't even purchase more land.

Interesting fact about the opposite stand to this one, the roof if it was laid flat would be double the size of the pitch!

Back