• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

If you're bored over the next three days...

Matt the Shrimp

aka Harry Potter
...and fancy a chuckle, then you can listen to yours truly burbling nonsense over the internet about cricket.

I'll be commentating on the West Indies v. MCC game up at Durham, and you can listen to my errant twitterings here.

http://mcc.sportslinemedia.co.uk/

I believe you can even send us emails, although I will probably not mention ShrimperZone on air. Nor will I respond to any particularly barbed comments from Cousin Weir, should they be forthcoming...

:p

Cheers folks,

Matt

We charge for advertising on this site :mad:

That'll be £4,750 please made payable to Spiff, Spiff Towers, London SE18

Thank you

We charge for advertising on this site :mad:

That'll be £4,750 please made payable to Spiff, Spiff Towers, London SE18

Thank you

That sounds far to cheap Spiff....I think you should have a rethink for such blatant advertising.:D

It's not advertising, it's all part of the great work I do for char-i-dee...

What is the e-mail address?

With mounting speculation about Sir Ian Botham, I might have a question about cricket commentators being knighted for their charity work...

...and fancy a chuckle, then you can listen to yours truly burbling nonsense over the internet about cricket.

I'll be commentating on the West Indies v. MCC game up at Durham, and you can listen to my errant twitterings here.

http://mcc.sportslinemedia.co.uk/

I believe you can even send us emails, although I will probably not mention ShrimperZone on air. Nor will I respond to any particularly barbed comments from Cousin Weir, should they be forthcoming...

Cheers folks,

Matt

And there's even a pen-pic of our MtS on there as well

http://www.lords.org/lords-ground/media-information/ball-by-ball/matthew-walker,745,AR.html

We are truly in the presence of greatness :)

BTW I'm incredibly jealous Matt, hope it all goes well.

That pic was taken 10 years ago..:hilarious:

But good luck all the same Matt.Great work for charity.

Last edited:

With mounting speculation about Sir Ian Botham, I might have a question about cricket commentators being knighted for their charity work...

LOL - I'm a little way off the gong yet...

And that photo was taken this year, John! I occasionally scrub up well...

Paul - thanks (and no, you're in the presence of a jammy git, that's all!)

Matt - email address is ballbyball@lords.org

:)

Have you mailed in yet ?

I think MtS has just finished a stint.

The words "nonsense" and "cricket" in the same sentence? Perfect combination ... and I'd rather listen to Take That than pollute my eardrums with talk about cricket ...

Mike, I know you're no fan of the hallowed sport of cricket, but do you honestly think you're going to persuade us? I really have no idea why you even come on these threads. You dislike cricket, a lot of people on this board love it, and we really will have to agree to disagree.

You can rant & rave until you're blue in the face, but nothing you say will alter my view that the two finest sports that the good Lord ever invented are football and cricket.

:thump:

Good work from Cousin Weir on the emails, managing to mail me with a query about Paul Sansome...

:D

How did he manage to ask a question on Sammy during a cricket match between MCC and the Windies !! Mind you, I'm surprised it wasn't on Sir Chrissy Powell !

Hope you enjoyed yourself, even if the match wasn't the best.

Last edited:
How did he manage to ask a question on Sammy during a cricket match between MCC and the Windies !! Mind you, I'm surprised it wasn't on Sir Chrissy Powell !

It was because I was commentating about Darren Sammy, who was bowling from the City End. He wondered whether, when commentating, I wanted to chant "ooooooooooooOOOOOOOH! It's Sammy!" as he ran in...

I had an absolute ball over the last three days - being back in the office is tough! The match was weird - Runako Morton's knock was (and I know this sounds odd) the worst double-ton I've ever seen. He played some absolutely ridiculous strokes, and only through "sheer dumb luck" (as Dame Maggie Smith would say) did he not perish during the first half of his innings. That said, he did hit some of the biggest sixes I have ever seen... 200+ yds. Mindboggling.

After a scratchy start, Denesh Ramdin played himself in really nicely - a very correct, wristy player who was patient and who put away the bad balls.

The match wasn't a bad one - other than a surreal ending to the game from the Windies; I thought they should have declared a bit earlier and gone in for the kill against the MCC side. Winning is a habit, after all.

As for the MCC side, lots of players to watch out for. Laurie Evans sported the brown cap of Surrey and looks a real prospect, a very fluent batsman. Paul Dixey (England U19 & Kent) also impressed - lovely glovework behind the timbers and once he'd played himself in, a confident player of the ball. Raul Brathwaite, a big Barbadian, got some nice movement through the air with the ball, and may work his way into contention for the Windies at some point.

As for the Windies, Dwayne Bravo is clearly a massive talent, Jerome Taylor was by miles the best bowler, but apart from that (and I am sorry to say this) they are a rabble, an absolute shambles. Weather permitting, and even allowing for Harmison's & Plunkett's wonky radars, there's really no reason why England shouldn't win this series 3-0. There are talented players there, for sure, but there is absolutely no discipline and little evidence of application or hunger.

They are crying out for a Clive Lloyd character to lead them; the likeable but softly spoken Shiv Chanderpaul is not that man. If Chris Gayle ever grew up, he could mould them into a side of winners, for sure. But right now, he is the ringleader of the naughty boys, it seems to me. He has the talent, personality and physical stature to make players follow him. Right now, they're following him down the path of lacksadaisical, devil-may-care showboating. If he discovered some hunger and some maturity, he could lead them down the path of application, of physical conditioning, of hard-work and of victory.

But right now, that looks like a massive "if" - it certainly won't happen this year. It really should be 3-0 to us in this series... as I said, the Windies are a shambles and until they have a sea-change in attitude, their 2-year winless Test streak will keep on lengthening.

Matt

Darren Sammy was playing for the Windies. I can't have been alone in expecting the dulcet tones of MtS to break into an "oooh its Sammy" every time he ran into bowl.

Cricket commentary is I imagine a lot harder than you would at first think. I thought Matt was one of the more natural ones and came over well, some of the other commentators were trying a little too hard to impress - words like rumbustious clearly aren't part of their everyday vocabulary.

The worse bit of radio commentary I heard this weekend was actually once I switched over to Essex's game at Swansea. BBC Essex were clearly engaging in a bit of cost-cutting as they only sent one guy along to cover it, so they got an expert summariser in from Swansea Univeristy radio. The BBC Essex guy was made to sound Benaudesque by this student, whose knowledge of cricket was, shall we say, minimalistic. I was wincing as this student tried to bluff his way through it.

When Southend are next on Sky, maybe MtS should do fanzone?

Or Paul Clarke who drove me round the bend.

Yb Mate, there is a question for you in ex .shrimpers

It was because I was commentating about Darren Sammy, who was bowling from the City End. He wondered whether, when commentating, I wanted to chant "ooooooooooooOOOOOOOH! It's Sammy!" as he ran in...

I had an absolute ball over the last three days - being back in the office is tough! The match was weird - Runako Morton's knock was (and I know this sounds odd) the worst double-ton I've ever seen. He played some absolutely ridiculous strokes, and only through "sheer dumb luck" (as Dame Maggie Smith would say) did he not perish during the first half of his innings. That said, he did hit some of the biggest sixes I have ever seen... 200+ yds. Mindboggling.

After a scratchy start, Denesh Ramdin played himself in really nicely - a very correct, wristy player who was patient and who put away the bad balls.

The match wasn't a bad one - other than a surreal ending to the game from the Windies; I thought they should have declared a bit earlier and gone in for the kill against the MCC side. Winning is a habit, after all.

As for the MCC side, lots of players to watch out for. Laurie Evans sported the brown cap of Surrey and looks a real prospect, a very fluent batsman. Paul Dixey (England U19 & Kent) also impressed - lovely glovework behind the timbers and once he'd played himself in, a confident player of the ball. Raul Brathwaite, a big Barbadian, got some nice movement through the air with the ball, and may work his way into contention for the Windies at some point.

As for the Windies, Dwayne Bravo is clearly a massive talent, Jerome Taylor was by miles the best bowler, but apart from that (and I am sorry to say this) they are a rabble, an absolute shambles. Weather permitting, and even allowing for Harmison's & Plunkett's wonky radars, there's really no reason why England shouldn't win this series 3-0. There are talented players there, for sure, but there is absolutely no discipline and little evidence of application or hunger.

They are crying out for a Clive Lloyd character to lead them; the likeable but softly spoken Shiv Chanderpaul is not that man. If Chris Gayle ever grew up, he could mould them into a side of winners, for sure. But right now, he is the ringleader of the naughty boys, it seems to me. He has the talent, personality and physical stature to make players follow him. Right now, they're following him down the path of lacksadaisical, devil-may-care showboating. If he discovered some hunger and some maturity, he could lead them down the path of application, of physical conditioning, of hard-work and of victory.

But right now, that looks like a massive "if" - it certainly won't happen this year. It really should be 3-0 to us in this series... as I said, the Windies are a shambles and until they have a sea-change in attitude, their 2-year winless Test streak will keep on lengthening.

Matt

If you put me in charge of the West Indies, the first thing I'd do is drop Chris Gayle. He's got the talent, he hasn't got the bottle nor the fight. I think he is a cancer on that team.

Back