• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Installing AVG

shrimpermatt

First XI
ok so last month i thought i would upgrade and install the new free AVG, which is 8.5 i believe. When i tried try install it an error occurs and it doesnt install.

Now to be honest i kind of forgot about this (meaning i had no Anti-virus software at all) until the other day when my laptop just decided to turn off, and then wouldnt turn on for 5 minutes (no it didnt run out of battery before someone thinks they are clever :)) when it eventually came on it ran some system repair thing and eventually decided to system restore. it has now done this a couple of times.

i tried to install the new AVG again a few times and always get the same message saying that errors occured during installation. According to AVG the errors are;

Local machine: installation failed
Installation:
Error: Action failed for file _AVG7_avgemc.exe: stopping service....
Error 0x8007041d
Rollback:
Error: Action failed for file _AVG7_avgemc.exe: starting service....
Service AVGEMS failed to progress during startup at checpoint 0 (wait hint 10000 ms) in 90153 ms.

which i dont understand at all. i've tried to install other free anti virus programmes as well (Avast etc) but with no luck. so now i have been stuck without any anti virus software for about a month (admittitly without realising it) and think my laptop is really virused up!.

green for anyone who can help me ? :)

Last edited:
Run a system restore to over a month ago and try again. I am running v8.5 without issue. You may have a virus stopping it installing. A system restore will take the syatem back to the given time.

You can also run regedt32, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, software, AVG and delete the keys in the folder. Then try and re-install AVG.

Run a system restore to over a month ago and try again. I am running v8.5 without issue. You may have a virus stopping it installing. A system restore will take the syatem back to the given time.

You can also run regedt32, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, software, AVG and delete the keys in the folder. Then try and re-install AVG.

this worked :) thank you! Green coming your way

Can anybody help me on a similar issue?

I went to my local computer shop and the bloke told me that the AVG 8.5 was hopeless and I may as well not bother. He flogged me a protection system called Panda. My colleague says that that's total bollox and that AVG 8.5 is the best going.

The obvious inference is that the guy in the shop was just trying to flog me a virus protector, but not so because when I suggested buying a windows upgrade (which is what I had come in for) he told me not to bother and to downdload something for free! So, if he's wrong, it's not through trying to flog me software. I do have severe reservations about him, though as his free upgrade was rubbish for reasons I won't go into.

Who's right the bloke in the shop or my colleague? I need to know now because I couldn't uninstall the obsolete firewall (Norton) that the computer came with, so now I've uninstalled AVG, haven't installed Panda, so all I have left is the Norton.

Help!

P.S - PM's gratefully received if this is too boring for a message board.

I went to my local computer shop and the bloke told me that the AVG 8.5 was hopeless and I may as well not bother. He flogged me a protection system called Panda. My colleague says that that's total bollox and that AVG 8.5 is the best going.

The obvious inference is that the guy in the shop was just trying to flog me a virus protector, but not so because when I suggested buying a windows upgrade (which is what I had come in for) he told me not to bother and to downdload something for free! So, if he's wrong, it's not through trying to flog me software. I do have severe reservations about him, though as his free upgrade was rubbish for reasons I won't go into.

Who's right the bloke in the shop or my colleague? I need to know now because I couldn't uninstall the obsolete firewall (Norton) that the computer came with, so now I've uninstalled AVG, haven't installed Panda, so all I have left is the Norton.

Help!

How terribly inane.

Windows upgrade? Do you mean from XP to Vista?

My advice is to take back Panda to the shop for a refund, remove Norton (though that can be tricky because it hides stuff in the registry), and install either Avira or AVG which are free and perfectly adequate protection.

Windows upgrade? Do you mean from XP to Vista?

My advice is to take back Panda to the shop for a refund, remove Norton (though that can be tricky because it hides stuff in the registry), and install either Avira or AVG which are free and perfectly adequate protection.

Panda is a piece of ****. As for Norton, search the Symantec site for a removal tool. I had the same issue with removing McAfee and they had the complete removal tool on their own site.

Help!

Seems to me like this bloke saw you coming pal and has taken you for a total mug.
Whatever you ultimately decide, you need to get revenge on this ****.

I'm not a violent man, but I suggest torching his shop.

Let me know how you get on.

Kind Regards

I used to use AVG but when I moved to Vista with a new PC, the new version of AVG just kept failing to update, so I ditched in favour of Avast! and I have to say I have been most impressed with it.

So for my recommended Anti Virus click here!

Comedian aren't you :p

In all seriousness, AVG is excellent... however some annoying popup messages from them have been occurring in the past couple of weeks, asking me to upgrade. I might give Avast a go instead if they persist

Back