• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Memory Lane Introduction

I think you are doing yourself out of a few years support? The Birmingham FA Cup match was 1956/7 season.

Did you go to Coventry in 1962 you might see yourself in the crowd? a 3-3 draw pity the cameraman missed all 6 goals, some nice shots of Jimmy's chin though! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GXXB3Jms1Q
Blimey, I am older than i thought!!! I think Birmigham was a one off for me, before becoming a regular fan in 1958, my father took me to see my hero Gil Merrick in the Brum goal. I recall a 6-1 thrashing I think Roy Hollis scored our goal? Great atmosphere as i remember, despite the beating. Happy memories !

Didn't Granger Road 'go to the dogs' before it was finally demolished.

It did I remember going there in the late 60's.

Yes Granger Road Stadium carried on with Greyhound racing regularly after Southend United moved to Roots Hall in 1955. In fact the last Greyhound Race meeting occurred on Boxing Day 1985.

I attended that day along with under 1,000 other people in the pouring rain. In fact it was raining so hard the hare keep stopping as it ran round the track, and being caught by the greyhounds much to the amusment of everyone in attendance. They ended up having to cancel the last race and everyone got their money back from the Bookies and Tote.

Very sad day all round, the stadium was pulled down some months later, to make way for the Greyhound Retail Park.

Couldn't get any closer to the Kursaal, we were ajacent to the parking lot. Last time I was there it was a housing development. The Jolly Spot was an amusement center, had a dodgem and a electric speedway track. It closed in 1953 when my Dad died. It was on the same spot as a vaudaville concert party called the Jolly Boys.
My Dad was in vaudaville and was part of that group. Time would have been somewhere in the early 1900's I was born 1925 just celebrated my 86. So far, so good.Thanks for your interest. I think you will need to check some of your older relatives to remember thase days.

Couldn't get any closer to the Kursaal, we were ajacent to the parking lot. Last time I was there it was a housing development. The Jolly Spot was an amusement center, had a dodgem and a electric speedway track. It closed in 1953 when my Dad died. It was on the same spot as a vaudaville concert party called the Jolly Boys.
My Dad was in vaudaville and was part of that group. Time would have been somewhere in the early 1900's I was born 1925 just celebrated my 86. So far, so good.Thanks for your interest. I think you will need to check some of your older relatives to remember thase days.

Did they ever go on an outing?

Welcome aboard young man.

That is the first time I had heard that we had a ground there! You have inspired me to log into Amazon and buy some Southend History books, town and football.

God Bless you.

Yes Granger Road Stadium carried on with Greyhound racing regularly after Southend United moved to Roots Hall in 1955. In fact the last Greyhound Race meeting occurred on Boxing Day 1985.

I attended that day along with under 1,000 other people in the pouring rain. In fact it was raining so hard the hare keep stopping as it ran round the track, and being caught by the greyhounds much to the amusment of everyone in attendance. They ended up having to cancel the last race and everyone got their money back from the Bookies and Tote.

Very sad day all round, the stadium was pulled down some months later, to make way for the Greyhound Retail Park.

Southend have played at Grainger Road rather more recently than 1955. Pegasus Athletic, a local non-league side and founder members of the Essex Senior League, played there. Southend United "A" team were also members of that League but in addition to them playing there, I'm sure I recall going there when Southend took a "first XI" for a friendly one Sunday afternoon (Ernie Shepherd was managing Pegasus). Doesn't seem to have made its way into the excellent SUFC Database site though. I know I'm getting old, but pretty sure I didn't imagine it; early 70s I'd say.

Southend have played at Grainger Road rather more recently than 1955. Pegasus Athletic, a local non-league side and founder members of the Essex Senior League, played there. Southend United "A" team were also members of that League but in addition to them playing there, I'm sure I recall going there when Southend took a "first XI" for a friendly one Sunday afternoon (Ernie Shepherd was managing Pegasus). Doesn't seem to have made its way into the excellent SUFC Database site though. I know I'm getting old, but pretty sure I didn't imagine it; early 70s I'd say.

I've got vague memories of that, and IIRC Pegasus folded soon afterwards.

I was there that day. I used to love it there. It was a fantastic grass track, but the stadium was a dump. I would bet very small with combination forecasts. Until I latched on to a sprint dog (200Metres) called Kilnagleary Gent. It won about 6 on the trot, as it always broke out of the traps first and kept just holding on. Because it kept winning in a photo or by a nose or head, I kept getting about evens on it with the on track bookies. I ended up placing bigger bets on it. Won a nice few quid. As a young man, it was happy days and more to spend at Zhivago's Disco.

The other thing was as a young lad I went to watch Southend v Spurs youth in the combination league at that Grainger stadium. Spurs had the reputation for the best youth set up at the time. The crowd was about 150. Spurs won about 7-2.
A few of us thought we were good at football. That was a big and disappointing reality check.

I was there that day. I used to love it there. It was a fantastic grass track, but the stadium was a dump. I would bet very small with combination forecasts. Until I latched on to a sprint dog (200Metres) called Kilnagleary Gent. It won about 6 on the trot, as it always broke out of the traps first and kept just holding on. Because it kept winning in a photo or by a nose or head, I kept getting about evens on it with the on track bookies. I ended up placing bigger bets on it. Won a nice few quid. As a young man, it was happy days and more to spend at Zhivago's Disco.

The other thing was as a young lad I went to watch Southend v Spurs youth in the combination league at that Grainger stadium. Spurs had the reputation for the best youth set up at the time. The crowd was about 150. Spurs won about 7-2.
A few of us thought we were good at football. That was a big and disappointing reality check.

Zhivagos now your talking, we used to come out the Sutton and bunk in by going up the ramp to the car park, jump across to the service tunnel behind the Garden of China restraunt then bunk in the fire exit that mates had left open for us. Happy Days.

I've got vague memories of that, and IIRC Pegasus folded soon afterwards.

Yes ... and no.

They were originally Pegasus (Coryton) but renamed as Pegasus Athletic to join the Essex Senior League. They later reverted back to their original name and now play in the Thurrock Sunday League!

Welcome aboard young man.

That is the first time I had heard that we had a ground there! You have inspired me to log into Amazon and buy some Southend History books, town and football.

God Bless you.
Make sure you get 'The Official History of the Blues' by Peter Mason and Dave Goody printed by Yore Publications ISBN 1874427-208. As well as decent history & photos it has details of all league and cup matches from 1920 to 1992. You can get it from Amazon but beware some jokers on there want £100 for it, £25 to £30 is a much better price although I have seen it go for less on a certain internet auction site.

Also worth getting some of the newer books by Peter Miles & Dave Goody and various others.

If you want to know where the ground was in the Kursaal, the centre spot was about where the Marionette block of flats are today and the ground faced North to South alongside Arnold Avenue.

Make sure you get 'The Official History of the Blues' by Peter Mason and Dave Goody printed by Yore Publications ISBN 1874427-208. As well as decent history & photos it has details of all league and cup matches from 1920 to 1992. You can get it from Amazon but beware some jokers on there want £100 for it, £25 to £30 is a much better price although I have seen it go for less on a certain internet auction site.

Also worth getting some of the newer books by Peter Miles & Dave Goody and various others.

If you want to know where the ground was in the Kursaal, the centre spot was about where the Marionette block of flats are today and the ground faced North to South alongside Arnold Avenue.

I know the Shrimpers Trust arranged a blue plaque for the Blue Boar, but how about plaques at the sites of all our different home venues? I know the Trust probably have more important things like pre-season trips to fund, but I'd like to see Southend's history and place in the community better recognised.

BTW The Official History of the Blues is great

I know the Shrimpers Trust arranged a blue plaque for the Blue Boar, but how about plaques at the sites of all our different home venues? I know the Trust probably have more important things like pre-season trips to fund, but I'd like to see Southend's history and place in the community better recognised.

BTW The Official History of the Blues is great

Yeah good shout about the Blue Plaques we would need one at Roots Hall now for 1906 to 1919 and then when/if we move again.

With regards to Southend Stadium the centre circle was about halfway along where Greyhound way is today. The main West stand was where Martins Court is. If you park in Matalan car park you are on the North End of where the pitch was. If you look today at the wall at the North End of the Matalan car park that was the Northern Boundary of the Stadium site was. The Southern Boundary was right up to the houses in Maldon Road and the Southern Entrance was where No's 61a and 61b are today in Maldon Road.

Good memories on this thread for some of us old gits! I used to live behind the Grainger Road stadium in Maldon Road and remember Pegasus playing a few matches there. I think they had a gate of about 800 for their first game which was good for the level they played at. Was also at the last greyhound meeting to be held there, I still have the official racecard. I think the last football match to be played there was in the 60's and was a charity match between the Radio One DJ's and what I think was an ex Southend United XI. Tony Blackburn and Pete Murray played for the DJ's team an there was a decent crowd of around 3000 in attendance.

I remember very little,but saw my first Blues game at Grainger Road,Boxing day 1952.I was only three months old,but my mother and father were staunch supporters.At at a later time Southend United youth played at Grainger Road.They were in the Southend Borough Combination.I played against them and we won 2-1.Peter Taylor and Gordon Hill (he of Millwall and Manure fame),were on the wings.Roots Hall holds special memories for me also,as i remember the construction of it.I only ever supported the Blues,West Spam were flung down our throat at school,what a happy day last Sunday was !!! I just hope SUFC can continue as a League club.Who cares about any other club.Up the Blues !!

I remember very little,but saw my first Blues game at Grainger Road,Boxing day 1952.I was only three months old,but my mother and father were staunch supporters.At at a later time Southend United youth played at Grainger Road.They were in the Southend Borough Combination.I played against them and we won 2-1.Peter Taylor and Gordon Hill (he of Millwall and Manure fame),were on the wings.Roots Hall holds special memories for me also,as i remember the construction of it.I only ever supported the Blues,West Spam were flung down our throat at school,what a happy day last Sunday was !!! I just hope SUFC can continue as a League club.Who cares about any other club.Up the Blues !!

Mounted on the wall at Canvey Jobcentre is a photo of Westborough Juniors football team 1963/64 with your good self holding the ball and me standing at the back looking very shy and retiring.

Back