• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend Pier

Manager
Having glanced through todays Echo Phil Brown has now labelled the players " A bunch of children". Following on from his rant last week where some on here thought stating the players lacked character in public wasn't right, has he gone to far still further with this latest public outburst?? ( Apologies if this should have been part of that lacking character thread).:smiles:

Having glanced through todays Echo Phil Brown has now labelled the players " A bunch of children". Following on from his rant last week where some on here thought stating the players lacked character in public wasn't right, has he gone to far still further with this latest public outburst?? ( Apologies if this should have been part of that lacking character thread).:smiles:

Phil's man management leaves a lot to be desired,His infamous half time talk on the pitch was a sight to behold and the constant berating of his current crop in public is now becoming tiresome.

Totally wrong. Phil Brown only does and says things for his own public image. Wrong appointment for the club and the sooner he goes the better.

Probably right what he says, but I think it should be kept behind closed doors. I can't seeing the players reacting positively if they're getting slating in public.

Not read it but he needs to an extent to keep criticising players private.

When you are on a run of 5 games without a win though its hard not to point out any failings though, but it has to be balanced. Bury we were a minute or two away from a good result so if he is then publicly criticising them for a game we were close to winning then thats very harsh.

Di Canio paid the price the weekend in very similar circumstances, he accepted no responsibility and they were only where they were because the players didnt want to win.

Buck stops with the manager at all levels.

Not read it but he needs to an extent to keep criticising players private.

When you are on a run of 5 games without a win though its hard not to point out any failings though, but it has to be balanced. Bury we were a minute or two away from a good result so if he is then publicly criticising them for a game we were close to winning then thats very harsh.

Di Canio paid the price the weekend in very similar circumstances, he accepted no responsibility and they were only where they were because the players didnt want to win.

Buck stops with the manager at all levels.

Was just about to post something along these lines. Brown only needs to look at Di Canio for someone who managed to lose a dressing room of players in record time by hanging them out to dry in public on a regular basis. Every report this morning tells of major dressing room unrest and the players simply couldn't take his ranting seriously. Brown hasn't gone as far as Di Canio might've done, but if Brown taking the squad to task publicly is going to be a recurring theme this season then it won't be long before discontent lurks in.

He may have his personal opinion but I do think it was wrong to air it so publicly and to blame them so totally. Lots of work to be done this week otherwise we're going to have Friday night carnage at the Hall again when the supporters get all irate.

Hmmm..as someone else stated...the buck stops with the manager. As a manager, if you publicly criticise your team - you are directly criticising yourself.

Footballers are not stupid(most of them)and will in private question Phil's recent management record and it's not very good,Add the fact that Penney when Bristol boss was slated by his striker who publicly admitted he was pleased DP was sacked,Penney's recent record is also poor.Add it all together and we have a situation which will be resolved one way or the other.

...if Brown taking the squad to task publicly is going to be a recurring theme this season then it won't be long before discontent...

Sadly so. If the 'lack of characters' comment was a risk, I was potentially comfortable with it as a heavy escalation following a more softly-softly approach when three straight defeats turned into four. However, this would seem to be a further step down the wrong road when Phil should be looking to repair any fall out across the squad. The Di Canio parallels seem all too obvious - and sobering - although I'll be reserving judgement until I can actually read and understand what he said myself (as should everyone). There's nothing on the Echo site yet.

The tide is turning against PB quite obviously. I give him until Christmas until Ron drops that axe.

Sadly so. If the 'lack of characters' comment was a risk, I was potentially comfortable with it as a heavy escalation following a more softly-softly approach when three straight defeats turned into four. However, this would seem to be a further step down the wrong road when Phil should be looking to repair any fall out across the squad. The Di Canio parallels seem all too obvious - and sobering - although I'll be reserving judgement until I can actually read and understand what he said myself (as should everyone). There's nothing on the Echo site yet.
It is in the paper today SBH.

This sort of stuff should be kept behind closed doors. We've seen with Di Canio's rants about his players in the press and how that leads to a huge negative reaction from the players and he has subsequently lost his job.

And if this stuff is getting aired publicly, just whats does go on in the changing room!?

Ayreshire , I never tire of watching the Corr goal on your posts - cheers up any day.
Question though.
Who is the Blues player on the far left who turns away appealling before BBBC scores ?
And what is he appealling about ?

I dont really blame Brown for his public slagging off ... He should never pick out + name individuals who makes errors but when , like it or not, he is in the media so often being questioned about each performance what is he supposed to say? Its refreshing for a manager not to blame the referee for every defeat . If we have played poorly or if the team needs to man up then why not tell it like it is . We seem to have become far too precious .

Ayreshire , I never tire of watching the Corr goal on your posts - cheers up any day.
Question though.
Who is the Blues player on the far left who turns away appealling before BBBC scores ?
And what is he appealling about ?

Not sure - might it be Ryan Leonard.

Whether the remarks made by PB are right or wrong, wise or unwise, is it beyond doubt that the essence of what he has said is correct? It comes across to me like the poor players who bemoan fans negative comments when substandard performances are produced. Just when are we allowed to comment on/criticise players without having to take into account their fragile sensitivities?

I know football is far from the 'mans game' it once was but do they have to live up to the namby-pamby rep that is afforded to them by so many in these modern times?

Quite frankly the players need to grow a pair and get on with their job to a standard that is above criticism.

Here's the piece in the Echo - now online.

Echo said:
SOUTHEND United manager Phil Brown slammed his side as a bunch of children after they were held to a 1-1 draw at Bury on Saturday. The Shrimpers had to settle for a share of the spoils at Gigg Lane after conceding an injury-time equaliser. And that infuriated Brown at the final whistle.

“I’m angry and massively disappointed because all the problems we had were of our own making,” said Brown. “We panicked under pressure and that was right from the start.

“We were naive and like a bunch of children out there making wrong decisions. We’ve thrown away two valuable points and if these players don’t learn soon then we’ll have to change them.”

Southend went in front midway through the first half against the Shakers when Ben Coker netted his first ever goal in the Football League when he curled home a fantastic free-kick. But Coker went from hero to villain in the closing stages as he was sent off three minutes from time after being shown two yellow cards.

But Brown refused to blame the full-back for the draw.

“Do I blame Ben Coker? No,” said Brown. “The lad clearly dived for his first yellow card and the second one was given for handball, but I still think he’s been one of the finds of the season for us.

“He recovered well from the trauma he went through against Scunthorpe when he made a mistake for their winner and he’s responded by scoring a fantastic goal.

“I could stand here and blame him, or the referee or the red card – but I don’t want to. We played for 45 minutes with 10 men at Hartlepool and still won the game, so we should have been able to do it for three. I actually blame the people who keep on giving away these needless free kicks and we have to do better.”

The draw pushed Blues up to 14th in the League Two and ended a run of four straight defeats.

But Brown felt his team paid the price for failing to build on Coker’s opening goal.
“We should have got a second goal before half-time and that also cost us,” said the Shrimpers boss.
“Freddy (Eastwood) had a great chance, Mark Phillips blocked a shot from John White and then also had a header saved so the opportunities were there.
“If we had got that second goal then it would have been different and we ended up paying the price for it right at the end.”

What I've noticed with Brown is that it's all about him before the games ; " It'll be me pitting my wits against.... (similarly once famous ex-higher league manager)" but following any defeat it's all back on the players.

Back