• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Is this the Golden era of Southend United?

Csboy

Manager
In all the years I've been watching Southend its the best of times.

Crowds are higher than they have been for over 30 years, we are playing good football. have a great manager who is Southend through and through and a new Stadium on its way. We are are even starting to have a few Cup runs and causing a major upset in the Cups something we have never really seen before.

Relegation last season didn't stop the fell good factor and we could even bounce straight back which really would be a remarkable achievement.

Even our 6 years in the old 2nd Division back in the 90's never felt this good. Then we had to contend with Jobson destroying things when they were looking good and the crowds were not as they are now.

Still makes me laugh when people moan on here, having lived through the nightmare of the Jobson era then 6 years in the bottom half of Division 4(League 2) there is no much to moan about.

In the words of the late Prime Minister Harold MacMillian 'You have never had it so good'.

Does a few bevvies make me more objective and less likely to fall in with the generally euphoric state on here? I really can't get over some of the completely over the top posts tonight.

It's not the best of times, two seasons ago sitting at the top of the division with Freddy scoring for fun was better for starters. I'm sure others can come up with some other similar comparisons.

Yes, we're doing very well, we are now 4th and we have to consolidate that position. We are playing well, though the goal scoring has dropped off again recently which is a concern. If we are still thereabouts at the end of the season I shall be very pleased.

Bring on Crewe and Brighton and then let's see where we are.

Does a few bevvies make me more objective and less likely to fall in with the generally euphoric state on here? I really can't get over some of the completely over the top posts tonight.

It's not the best of times, two seasons ago sitting at the top of the division with Freddy scoring for fun was better for starters. I'm sure others can come up with some other similar comparisons.

Yes, we're doing very well, we are now 4th and we have to consolidate that position. We are playing well, though the goal scoring has dropped off again recently which is a concern. If we are still thereabouts at the end of the season I shall be very pleased.

Definitely not. It's great that we are playing so well, and on such a good run, and as I said in another thread the confidence coursing throughout the side is great to see.

Let's enjoy, but stay cautiously optimistic. The next 3 games will tell us if we make the play offs or not, however our fate is now in our hands, and we aren't so much reliant on other teams results.

Hopefully the best times are yet to come. Fossetts, consolidation in the Championship, a good cup run.... Look at Reading / Wigan....

You're talking just on the field. Take everything into account - the stadium being on the verge of starting, the healthier bank balance - this, to me, feels better than sitting top a few seasons back. The club is even healthier than it was then and in al honesty, despite not being top this time around, I feel that the squad is stronger than it was then. Says more about the this league and the fact that the quality is better than it was 2 years ago.

You're right to wonder whether people are going over the top - as lots of us were when everyone comes on here slagging everyone off after one defeat. We've been inconsistent this season and watching football is an emotive business so as long as we can discuss all opinions then no harm done.

Today was an outstanding performance from a young, clearly talented, team and it right we should celebrate it and be pretty excited about the future I think - on and off the pitch. What pleases me most is how we have reacted to relegation and have reconstructed the team within the season to be probably the best footballing team currently in the division. Last time we were relegated from the second tier the club went into free-fall. This time we've galvanised, shown character and ability and are (hopefully) going to go back up stronger.

I really think that some people have trouble seeing the wood for the trees.

Things like a few lost matches here and there, one or two dodgy signings and so on carry little to no significance whatsoever in shaping the future of the club compared to the go-ahead for the stadium and our continually growing fanbase. For me this is undoubtedly the best time to be a Southend United fan. Fossett's Farm opens up possibilities which I never dared dream of when I chose to support a side in the old Fourth Division. When I hear moans, groans and cries for the manager's head I can't help but be glad that I'm not that short sighted.

In the 21 years I've been a Southend fan we are by far in the best shape we have ever been promotion or not this season.

Whilst everything in the garden at the moment appears rosey, I do find your memories of a certain Vic Jobson a little far removed from the truth.

Love him or loathe, ultimately, he died for this club, and I don't care what anyone says, without him, it's likely we wouldn't even have a Southend United to support right now.

Yes, he was often unpopular, but he got us to 1st place in what is now the Championship - no one else has managed that since. He also spent our record transfer fee on Mike Marsh, and a few others as well, and that has not come close to being matched since.

Of course, he wasn't perfect, and some of his ideas and actions were odd to say the least - moving the club to Basildon for example, although in this day and age, grounds 6-7 miles from the geographical location of the football club are becoming more common place these days - maybe he was ahead of his time?!

I met him on numerous occasions, and the one thing I know for sure is he cared very deeply for this club, and as I say, with the stress of running it, he lost his marriage, became ill, and in the end, lost his life.

If one takes the original thread in the context it seems to have been intended, I would 100% agree that this current team show the talent, spirit & potential to acheive like no other in the past 35 years, the period within my personal knowledge.

Old Blue Lady may also be correct, concerning Freddie.......but team games are all about the 11 and how they play as a complete unit, as well as collectively in the individual units & triangles they create.

Any single individual, no matter how good that individual may be, is not bigger than the team. Collymore was a good example, there is life and the club will survive after an exceptional talent, may depart.

Many teams who appear very strong on paper, often don't perform or achieve to expectations. England are good examples in succesive World Cups.

Without going OTT just yet, the signs are very encouraging, across the whole spectrum, from the bottom to the top of the club, and long may that remain.

Our two full backs looked and played excpetionally well to-day, it was a toss up between them for MOM, IMO. Had Francis' left footed shot on cutting in from right beaten their keeper, that would have swung it for me, but a great effort anyway to cap yet another commanding performance.

The pair looked different class to me and equally good, if not better than Austin/Edinburgh [and that is not said lightly].

Tilly will have to try & twist McCarthy's arm to make Charlie's loan, into a permanent deal, before Mc C, might himself be forced out of Molyneux.

Clean sheet from the defence - noteworthy.

Totaly agree with this post Kay.......yes we are a form team at the moment but to be fair, this is not the Golden era of Southend United.........but it is on its way folks!!!

Whilst everything in the garden at the moment appears rosey, I do find your memories of a certain Vic Jobson a little far removed from the truth.

Love him or loathe, ultimately, he died for this club, and I don't care what anyone says, without him, it's likely we wouldn't even have a Southend United to support right now.

Yes, he was often unpopular, but he got us to 1st place in what is now the Championship - no one else has managed that since. He also spent our record transfer fee on Mike Marsh, and a few others as well, and that has not come close to being matched since.

Of course, he wasn't perfect, and some of his ideas and actions were odd to say the least - moving the club to Basildon for example, although in this day and age, grounds 6-7 miles from the geographical location of the football club are becoming more common place these days - maybe he was ahead of his time?!

I met him on numerous occasions, and the one thing I know for sure is he cared very deeply for this club, and as I say, with the stress of running it, he lost his marriage, became ill, and in the end, lost his life.

I was one of the disciples that stood in the car park game after game with our "Jobson Out banners" and helped orchestrate the sit down turn round protests in the North bank.......but as RC says....with out Jobson (Dave spits on the floor) there probably would be no Southend United and certainly no SZ.....then what would MK do with his spare time!!

Hang on a minute the original post was spot on in many ways, I been a loyal supporter for 25 years now and without a shadow of a doubt the tilson era is the best ever, I know we stayed in the second tier for more years but honestly people have a look around we have 4/5000 season ticket holders, I remember when we would say 4000 on a saturday was a 'good crowd', three trips to the millenium stadium in the space of fourteen months, excuse me but when the fek did that happen before, a style of football that I will say is better than the webb era(not just based on today btw) a new stadium on the way, a youth system that is finally producing players, how in the hell is this not our golden era. Just fo the record yes jobson was way off the mark on occasions but without him we would not have a club.

Hang on a minute the original post was spot on in many ways, I been a loyal supporter for 25 years now and without a shadow of a doubt the tilson era is the best ever, I know we stayed in the second tier for more years but honestly people have a look around we have 4/5000 season ticket holders, I remember when we would say 4000 on a saturday was a 'good crowd', three trips to the millenium stadium in the space of fourteen months, excuse me but when the fek did that happen before, a style of football that I will say is better than the webb era(not just based on today btw) a new stadium on the way, a youth system that is finally producing players, how in the hell is this not our golden era. Just fo the record yes jobson was way off the mark on occasions but without him we would not have a club.

Agreed. It's not just about the here and now, but also what we are producing and where are we (potentially) heading.

Someone said we've been inconsistent this season - we're 4th for gods sake! If you go back 5/6 years, I dare say most of us wouldn't have dreamt we'd be in the position we are now in.

Better than the 90's? Absolutely.

**** me, why are the posts so long.

Yes, yes, yes

as Sally once siad to Harry (probably not cnaveyshrimper)

Glad to see at least some people are grasping the point I was trying to make about this being the Golden era of Southend. I didn't just mean this season I mean't over the last few years mainly since Tilson took over.

You only have to see what we achieved before Tilson took over (not much really) and compare it to what we have achieved since he took over to see this really is the Golden era.

Glad to see at least some people are grasping the point I was trying to make about this being the Golden era of Southend. I didn't just mean this season I mean't over the last few years mainly since Tilson took over.

You only have to see what we achieved before Tilson took over (not much really) and compare it to what we have achieved since he took over to see this really is the Golden era.

Ok, I accept that I must have misconstrued your original post, and indeed, things off the pitch do look very rosy. Just goes to show that when everyone pulls together at the Club then the right things can happen both on and off the pitch.

Having been a fan for only 8/9 years this is definitely the best period I've seen (meaning since we got promoted from League Two). Whilst people still like to moan, at the end of the day we're moving in the right direction, we have an excellent young manager, a smart chairman who genuinely cares about the club, a new stadium on the way and a club that the town can actually be proud of and is proud of. Things could be a lot worse.

Back