• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ivan Toney banned for 8 months

Supershrimper

First XI⭐
Either their being so much gambling in football; Club shirt sponsors, ex players popping up on adverts advertising betting is it any wonder.

Shame as I really think he has potential to play for England and gives us a dufferent option other than Harry Kane.

BBC News - Ivan Toney banned: Brentford striker given eight-month ban over betting

Small club syndrome at work here imho. If Toney had played for Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester United etc the ban would have been much more lenient.

Small club syndrome at work here imho. If Toney had played for Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester United etc the ban would have been much more lenient.

To the contrary I entirely disagree and personally think for so many charges he got off very lightly and should have been suspended months ago. In fact he will only miss the last two games of this season and as can play again in mid January it is a long way short of an eight month ban.

I think the punishment is harsh when you compare it to other punishments in football e.g the small punishments given to players found guilty of racism etc. It deserves punishment but they have found no evendence of corruption or influence over games. I think this seems to be a warning to anyone else and unfortunately for Toney, he is the scapegoat

I think the punishment is harsh when you compare it to other punishments in football e.g the small punishments given to players found guilty of racism etc. It deserves punishment but they have found no evendence of corruption or influence over games. I think this seems to be a warning to anyone else and unfortunately for Toney, he is the scapegoat
The Cantona kung-fu kick

I assume Brentford will be changing their kit sponsor then ? I appreciete Toney broke the rules, but the hypocrisy in football is ridiculous.
You've misunderstood why Toney is being banned, there's no hypocrisy here, just the same greed that makes the FA think advertising gambling is fine.

Toney hasn't been banned for advertising bookies, he's been banned for betting on football, something he has inside knowledge of that's the bookies don't (e.g. if a club is resting their best player). He's essentially been banned because he knows enough about the sport to make a profit off the bookies, and the bookies don't like losing money. The FA like the sponsorship money bookies give them so if they say "ban footballers from betting on football" then the FA will do what they say.

Over 200 hundred charges now including 13 betting on his own club to loose which just so poor even if out on loan at the time.
OK with that information I think the punishment is probably right. I very much doubt there was any fixing going on but if you are betting on your own club, even if you are out on loan, there is that possibility.

OK with that information I think the punishment is probably right. I very much doubt there was any fixing going on but if you are betting on your own club, even if you are out on loan, there is that possibility.
I don't. Like any addiction, help rather than punishment is better, ask Paul Merson.

Perhaps we should also ban players who fill their cars up, drink certain brands of beer etc.

As already stated gambling is, in some cases, an addiction. A suspended sentence would have been more appropriate.

Would Kane, Salah, Haarland etc get the same treatment? I doubt it.

Perhaps we should also ban players who fill their cars up, drink certain brands of beer etc.

As already stated gambling is, in some cases, an addiction. A suspended sentence would have been more appropriate.

Would Kane, Salah, Haarland etc get the same treatment? I doubt it.
Personally I think a bit of help, and punishment would be correct in equal measure. He needs help for his addiction, but shouldn't be let off because of it.

Would you also let a drug addict off if they were caught stealing to feed their habit? Personally, I wouldn't.

As for your point about Kane etc., you may be right (although it is pure speculation so we probably won't ever know), but to me that would be a reason to be more harsh on them rather than more lenient with him.

I don't. Like any addiction, help rather than punishment is better, ask Paul Merson.
That was considered apparently the ban was 11 months brought down to 8 with evidence of addiction. It's a bit different from other addictions because if you are betting on your own club there is a question of influence and spot fixing etc. I'm not saying Toney was doing that but who knows what conversations went on between him and his team mates? A message needs to be sent out. I agree with you on other additions and gambling in fact, if the gambling was on other sports/leagues.

Back