• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Latest Rumours January transfer window

Nile Ranger has put on his social media he is in Southend and CP just put up a tweet about an interesting story with a power Ranger gif!

Well this could be interesting, will be some very divided opinions if true I'd imagine!

Pay as you play terms until he shows he has what it takes to have truly turned it around. On time for training, last to leave etc etc

We all know what he is capable of doing on the pitch, its just the off-field activities thats been Rangers downfall

when I've thought about the type of player we miss I always came back to a Nile Ranger type. It's up to MM. No doubt he will have had long conversations with just about everyone about the other side of Nile and with Nile himself. Whatever the decision it will be made with eyes wide open.

So, we’ve been making some transfer moves already and we’re now not looking too scruffy. Who is next in, with the January sales about to begin?

So, we’ve been making some transfer moves already and we’re now not looking too scruffy. Who is next in, with the January sales about to begin?

Got to be a striker for me. A target man to play up with Akinola or to rotate with him. Akinola’s doubtful for tomorrow night and the options without him have proven not to be good enough.

In an ideal world, would like to see us extend Olayinka and Taylor’s loans until the end of the season and end Sterling’s loan early. Would also like to see White sign an extension and wouldn’t mind Halford signing for the rest of the season if he’s fit enough. Think we would then need to sign a couple of strikers, one being a big lump, another winger and another centre back.

I know it is all the rage on here to talk about a big target man and I can remember the many front men who have performed that role for Southend United over the years but there are alternative approaches that revolve around having a player who just has a "nose" for putting the ball in the net and is content to get in the box and stay in the box as much as possible.

I would widen the net beyond just looking for a "big lump".

Who then? I have no idea .............

I know it is all the rage on here to talk about a big target man and I can remember the many front men who have performed that role for Southend United over the years but there are alternative approaches that revolve around having a player who just has a "nose" for putting the ball in the net and is content to get in the box and stay in the box as much as possible.

I think if you’re going purely route one then a big lump is definitely needed as the ball will just come straight back without one. If you’re going to get the ball on the deck and play, a big lump isn’t necessary if your strikers are good enough.

I think we play a mixture of both. We’ve gone more direct recently, but still play some really good football at times. The big lump we need doesn’t necessarily need to be 7ft 4 tall, he just needs to be able to play with his back to goal, hold the ball up and bring others into play. If I could get my magic wand out and wind back the years, I’d sign Marc-Antoine Fortune in a heartbeat.

That’s the sort of player we need. I could see Akinola and even Goodship scoring a hatful playing off someone like that. But pair Akinola and Goodship together and I think they’d struggle.

I kind of agree with you, we need a finisher at this level or higher and we should be able to attract someone who fancies being a saviour, especially as we have some space in our salary cap.

The only thing that might scupper that idea is the increase in covid cases and postponed games which could lead to a halting of the season.

Back