• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Jason Demetriou wants impressive display with Cyprus to boost his season at Southend United

Evening Echo

The News
SOUTHEND United defender Jason Demetriou wants his spell with Cyprus to transform his season with the Shrimpers.

More...

Have to admit. His performance was head and shoulders above any display anything Elvis and Ralph have shown this season. Be bonkers if he doesn't walk into the first team next week!

I’ve been wondering why we don’t pair him up with Elvis on the right, probably JD at right back and Elvis right mid. But then I don’t get to as many games as I should so I might be talking bollocks :Smile2:

Okay, I accept he played well for Cyprus against the Jocks.
And played the whole game, uninjured and sharp.
So is this a miraculous recovery? has he been shaming it here? is our set up SO bad? did he want to send a "play me" message to Sol? did he want to send a "sign me " message out with his agent?
What is the FULL story Demi?

I’ve been wondering why we don’t pair him up with Elvis on the right, probably JD at right back and Elvis right mid. But then I don’t get to as many games as I should so I might be talking bollocks :Smile2:

I thought that too, possibly the other way round though.

Okay, I accept he played well for Cyprus against the Jocks.
And played the whole game, uninjured and sharp.
So is this a miraculous recovery? has he been shaming it here? is our set up SO bad? did he want to send a "play me" message to Sol? did he want to send a "sign me " message out with his agent?
What is the FULL story Demi?
It could be as simple as the fact that he's had more time to recover since he last played for us. He'd been on the bench for us for a few games but not got on the pitch.

Last time he played for us was against Ipswich, and he only came on a few minutes before the end. The last time before that was against Tranmere in mid-October and he only came on in injury time.

He's basically had a whole month to improve his fitness and his recovery from injury. I'd be amazed if he didn't play better than he did a month ago.

Did Jason Demetriou play in midfield for Cyprus? He just might add a bit of steel to that department for Southend.
Played wide in midfield. Found himself in acres of space a lot of the time and put in a stream of excellent crosses and one sumptuous through ball, could have had at least two assists. Showed a bit too much steel when he was booked and arguably that should have been a red!

I wonder if he will pull up with another injury as soon as he is back from Cyprus duty......I'll be watching out for you Jason.

I wonder if he will pull up with another injury as soon as he is back from Cyprus duty......I'll be watching out for you Jason.

I doubt he’ll care one iota, should he ever read that, Rigsby.

Sol Campbell has been clear that he thinks our players have been being rushed back far too quickly from injury - perhaps a bit understandable given the shocking catalogue of serious injuries last season, which in itself might be partly blamed on what appears to have been a poor fitness regime under Powell.

If Campbell is to be believed on this point, and I see no reason not to believe him, more likely is that previous breakdowns of JD and others are rooted in them playing before they were ready. They were essentially set up to fail either in performances, or remaining fit/uninjured or more likely both.

I doubt he’ll care one iota, should he ever read that, Rigsby.

Sol Campbell has been clear that he thinks our players have been being rushed back far too quickly from injury - perhaps a bit understandable given the shocking catalogue of serious injuries last season, which in itself might be partly blamed on what appears to have been a poor fitness regime under Powell.

If Campbell is to be believed on this point, and I see no reason not to believe him, more likely is that previous breakdowns of JD and others are rooted in them playing before they were ready. They were essentially set up to fail either in performances, or remaining fit/uninjured or more likely both.

From what I'm hearing your absolutely spot on there mate.

Cyprus away to Belgium Tuesday night might just prove a sterner test for him, if selected.

Depending on the system as well. If Sol carries on with 3412 then both wing backs have a lot of work to get thru and Elvis has a great engine. To play both would either JD playing in a midfield 2 (won't happen) or going to a 442. However i think Sol is clearly focused currently on the 3 at the back. So an interesting decision- may be possibility of 352 with Demi right side of midfield 3?? Anyway in Sol I trust!

An issue I don’t think we know the answer to is whether Sol favours the 352 formation or whether he feels forced into it due to a lack of width. With Macca and Demi potentially offering wide midfield maybe we could see a 442 alternatively Sol might decide to stick with 352 for consistency

I wouldn't be completely against Demetriou playing RCB in a 352 formation. Elvis has progressed nicely but is good for 1 or 2 howlers a game, and Demetriou is solid in the air and better than Elvis defensively. Especially while JW is still injured.

Squad player now and given what he's allegedly earning I reckon he's one Sol has told he's not in the plans going forward

I wouldn't be completely against Demetriou playing RCB in a 352 formation. Elvis has progressed nicely but is good for 1 or 2 howlers a game, and Demetriou is solid in the air and better than Elvis defensively. Especially while JW is still injured.
On the evidence of the Scotland game his best position is wide midfield. I don't think he is utilised to the full in any defensive position, his strength is making himself available in space on the right and bombing forward ending in a cross or throughball, something he did to perfection against Scotland. If we can't find a way to harness that it wil be our loss.

Agree with this....my post pre Tranmere game....

I’m going with a back 3 with wing backs. Largely due to lack of options with wide midfield ahead of full backs. We aren’t blessed with options in wide areas at all so why play a system that needs 4 of them when you can play one with 2!

So Demetriou right of a three with Kiernan and Shaughnessy. I’m not sure if Demetriou has played this role but for me he screams that it would suit him much in the way it suited Nacho Monreal at Arsenal

I believe that after a second tear of the meniscus (or whatever its called!) , it needs careful training management to ensure 100% fit on match days. Always a risk of further tear but fair play to him for always giving 100%.
Never one to go down and roll around for too long without it actually being serious!

Back