• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

JAY SMITH RETURNS!

Tilly stated at the SUFC Q & A that Smith isn't a winger and would only be played in the middle of the park but with Bentley and Maher's form at the minute I wouldn't dop either of them. Smith would have to settle for a place on the bench if I were in charge but a lot can happen between now and when Smith is avaliable for selection.

It's certainly a nice problem for Tilly to have but I think it will be at least a couple of months before he has to address it.

I can't wait to see Jay Smith back in action again but I think it's imperative we ease him back in gradually, i.e. a few appearances on the subs bench coupled with 90 minutes each week for the reserves to build up his fitness and strength.

When he is fully fit, I'd like to see Jay in the centre of midfield alongside Maher, with Bentley moving to the right. I know Bents has been exceptional in the centre so far this season but I think he could still be an asset on the right flank too. It's not as if we're currently playing a natural right-sided player out there at the moment anyway so the balance of the side wouldn't be affected. And as much as I like Petticoat for his tenacious tackling and workrate, surely Bentley would give us a more dynamic option on the right, especially at The Hall.

Great news that Jay is on the way back!!!

I wouldnt want to be Tilly when Jay is fully fit though, he has a huge selection headache with who to play in the middle, with Bentley, Maher and Smith avaliable.

A possible solution could be playing a 5 man midfield, in effect, looking something like this:

Gower.....Maher.....Bentley.....Pettefer
..................Smith
.............................*Striker*

??

This obviously takes out an attacker playing up front, leaving a lone forward, but if that player (be it Bramble, Dudfield, whoever) could well work with Jay dropping off doing a role that Paul Scholes has done for Man Ure.

Either way, Tilly has a huge problem, but one I'm fairly sure he would be happy with, in a sence.

Back