• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

JCR - Am I Missing Something?

General Easterly

From official site:

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Jamal Campbell-Ryce's three month loan from Rotherham United has ended with the opening of January's transfer window perhaps seeing the move become permanent.

Perhaps? - I thought we'd agreed a deal, or am I wrong?

Was a pre-agreed deal i think, we can have him for the agreed sum if we want him...

I think the impression given at the start of his "loan" was that it was all cut and dried and he would sign on the dotted line on jan 1st. According to quotes in the Echo this may appear otherwise.

Interesting, according to the information we got at the time it was supposed to be cut-and-dried....

I reckon opinion will be mixed about whether he should stay or not....

I hope he does stay. he does provide a bit of sparkle on the wing. Even though he is very frustrating!

Doesn't look like he's staying.

BBC

Mind you, he wouldn't have been able to play in this game anyway.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (londonblue @ Dec. 30 2005,12:49)]Doesn't look like he's staying.

BBC

I think that is a technical thing, as he reverts to being a Rotherham player again as the 93 days of his loan has now expired.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CI-City Blue @ Dec. 30 2005,13:03)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (londonblue @ Dec. 30 2005,12:49)]Doesn't look like he's staying.

BBC

I think that is a technical thing, as he reverts to being a Rotherham player again as the 93 days of his loan has now expired.
It's the wording. It's very ambiguous. As is the OS, which talks about the deal possibly becoming permanent.

The Rotherham site hasn't even got him listed in their squad numbers (despite the lad on loan to Barnet being on there)
Also they are looking to allow Deon Burton to go during the window

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimp_on_the_wing2003 @ Dec. 30 2005,12:11)]I hope he does stay. he does provide a bit of sparkle on the wing. Even though he is very frustrating!
He is frustrating but interestingly not as much as when he first came. It seems to me Tilly/Brush have been trying to knock what I call "Cristiano Ronaldo Syndrome" out of him as in the last few games his need to beat a full-back twice over has been less and less apparent. His tracking back and work ethic is probably the best I've seen from a wide-man since Tilly was on the wing himself helping out Chrissy Powell. IMHO with the right coaching JCR can be worth a pretty penny to Southend United both on the pitch AND when it comes to selling him on. Yes its a lot of money for a club in L1 but lets not forget that we're (hopefully) buying a player who's young and will improve (plus one with Championship experience) and with any luck will have a decent sale-on value - its less than we'd have paid for Luke Beckett and at his age and with his injury record we were never going to be able to say that about him.

Rotherham are in financial difficulty though and won't want to keep an unhappy player I'm sure so if I was Uncle Ron I'd try and call their bluff and knock the offer down to £100k and see what happens, personally I still think we'd get our man.

I also have to say that his play in setting up the cross which led to the penalty at Hartlepool was superb. Trickery, quick feet, beat the man AND then a decent cross.

I also think a large portion of his fee is the result of having to pay off his existing contract. Agreeing personal terms with him I don't think will be the issue. Getting Rotherham to take less than the £140K apparently agreed will be. So is he worth us paying out that much to get him?

It's a gamble. He certainly has the potential to be a huge crowd pleaser, provided the crowd don't knock his confidence too much before he gets to that stage.

£40,000 of the fee is going to Charlton, which is why it's a bit higher than perhaps some would think we should pay.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Angell Delight @ Dec. 30 2005,13:18)]It seems to me Tilly/Brush have been trying to knock what I call "Cristiano Ronaldo Syndrome" out of him
Maybe next season, he'll be just as good as mr ronaldo.
laugh.gif

Personally i dont think he is worth £140,000

When he first made his entrance agaisnst Yeovil at home, he looked red hot and quite a talent.

What i've seen in past games is not of a player worth £140k.

I'm sure Tilly knows what he's doing and i trust his judgement either way.

ron martin seems quite a shrewd buisnessman to me. i cant see him paying £140,000 + for a player who seems to be used mostly as a sub

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CI-City Blue @ Dec. 30 2005,10:37)]All depends on agreeing personal terms,
don't think this will be a problem, he has already said he wants to make the deal permanent

Back