• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The latest revelation is that Corbyn attended a conference with senior Hamas figures in 2012, including one who was jailed for 17 years for a string of terrorist attacks that killed more than 100 people in Israel.

The list goes on... Presumably his worshipers will say this is just another 'smear'. How this man is still leader of the opposition I don't know. You know what they say: judge a man by the company he keeps.

I doubt ‘tin-ear Corbyn’ or his Momentum bullies will give a toss. They are so far up their own rear ends they can’t hear any other opinions

I doubt ‘tin-ear Corbyn’ or his Momentum bullies will give a toss. They are so far up their own rear ends they can’t hear any other opinions
I'm not a member of Momentum but have met many when canvassing and they seem likely lovely people who have the enthusiasm and organisational skills to make a difference. I don't know how many of the Birkenhead CLP are in Momentum but if your local party have a vote of no confidence in you as an MP then you are on your way out one way or another.
Frank has a checkered history - previously he was a Tory but left over their backing of apartheid, he has at times been a succinct critic of Tory governments but his anti immigration terminology has at times been borderline racist and his attitude to the poor borderline eugenics.
Thanks for the hard work but for various reasons not sad to see him go, and managing to prop up this awful government when they were about to tip will be his legacy. His 'reasons' for leaving are shabby and unbelievable.

I don't believe a general strike is Labour policy.

Nobody said it was but she was speaking at a Momentum (Labour) endorsed side conference. A view or opinion doesn't have to be policy to be openly encouraged. She is speaking as a Labour MP at a fringe Labour party conference forum. Dress it up and spin it any way you want but she and her views are the reason I and so many like me cannot abide the thought of a Labour government.

There was a (one day) General Strike last year in Catalonia to protest against Police violence in the "election" here .Not such a big deal really.

Spain used the Germans to arrest the president......Which was a big deal.

Still in the past they used the Gestapo to help murder a Catalonian president.

There was a (one day) General Strike last year in Catalonia to protest against Police violence in the "election" here .Not such a big deal really.

And your point is?

Comparing Catalonia's and the effects of a general strike on that region and the effects of a general strike on the UK is like comparing a Phaal and a Korma.

I assume that's what you were alluding to.

And this is just one reason I cannot countenance ever voting Labour and also why they'll not see No10 for quite some time.

Momentum calls for General Strike

Tom Watson says:

Well, it’s not particularly helpful. But she is a new MP, and she was at a big fringe event, nothing to do with the party organisation, and I’m sure she got a little bit carried away with herself. Because if you actually look at the history of the general strike, most trade unions will tell you it was an absolute failure for the working class. Even my hero Ernest Bevin got a bit of a kicking over the decision to do that. And actually the prime minister at the time, Stanley Baldwin, remained as prime minister. So it didn’t work on its own terms.
It wasn’t particularly helpful. But I’m sure she did not mean it in those terms.

So it ain't going to happen is it?

I think the issue with this kind of statement is not that there is any chance it will actually happen (it plainly won’t - whether Labour wanted it to or not). It’s more what it says about the mindset of the hard left militant unionists who believe it is acceptable to to, in effect, stage a coup against a democratically elected government just so they can get into power. It’s an approach you might justifiably use where a revolution is needed to remove a tyrant - like in Venezuela - but it is abhorrent in a democracy. This is a window into the mindset of members of Parliament in HM Opposition. If anything remotely similar had been said by the Conservatives when Labour was in government - I.e. using force to try to ‘bring down’ a government - there would, justifiably, have been a huge outcry from Labour, the Graun etc. Probably with lots of nasty sweeping accusations of nazism, racism, imperialism you name it.

Back