• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Played left back with Lou Costello on the right, who in turn was replaced by Tony Bentley.
I seem to remember it was a reasonably solid defence then as far as the third tier went. Spoke to Neal a couple of times: very likeable man. RIP

John joined us from Aston Villa and his debut was at Barnsley in a 2-2 draw on December 1st.1962 when he replaced the legendary full back Sandy Anderson. His home debut was the following week when we thrashed Northampton Town by 5-1 a great result as the Cobblers were promoted as Champions at the end of that season. John went on to play over 100 games for our club scoring just once in the 1-0 win against Carlisle in November 1964. His final year with us was the relegation season of 1965-66 when he retired from playing at the age of 33, his last appearance for the Blues was a F.A.Cup match at Rotherham United(lost 3-2) in January 1966, however his last league appearance was in our record 9-1 defeat at Brighton in November 1965. John Neal was a quiet and unassuming man and extremely well liked. RIP JOHN.

Sad Sad news.
John Neal came to my junior school, Crowstone, as football coach with Malcolm Slater our winger at the time in the early sixties. I was only young, 9 I think, but can remember watching him playing for the first team sat on the wall in front of the South Bank. Then going to the sports field at school one day, these two hero's of mine are there and actually shooting the ball at me, I was the goalie for the team. They took us for sports including boxing till I left in 66.
R.I.P. Sir

Back