• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Not the only high scoring match "Mitten's marvels" were involved in that season. They beat Man United 7-3 and Everton 8-2 !

Any team details ? Ivor Allchurch perhaps ?

Friday 6th May 1960 Southend United v Newcastle United
Sam McCrory, Arthur Williamson & Sandy Anderson Testimonial Match
Line ups as per the Programme
Southend:-

Threadgold
Williamson
Anderson
Costello
Watson
Dicks
Stenhouse
Corthine
MCrory
Price
Wall

Newcastle:-
Harvey
Keith
McMichael
Scoular
Stokoe
Bell
Hughes
Allchurch
White
McGuigan
Luke

As already pointed out the we lost 3-6 and that followed a 5-1 defeat to West Ham in another Testimonial match a few days before this one.

Actually out of the three players only Sandy Anderson had been here 10 years the other two had 5 years service.

I would imagine there will be a decent crowd in for this one.

Maybe even 10k

Plenty of seats available in the West Stand. You can buy tickets on line now but they are not available for collection until the 20th according to the web site.

Friday 6th May 1960 Southend United v Newcastle United
Sam McCrory, Arthur Williamson & Sandy Anderson Testimonial Match
Line ups as per the Programme
Southend:-

Threadgold
Williamson
Anderson
Costello
Watson
Dicks
Stenhouse
Corthine
MCrory
Price
Wall

Newcastle:-
Harvey
Keith
McMichael
Scoular
Stokoe
Bell
Hughes
Allchurch
White
McGuigan
Luke

As already pointed out the we lost 3-6 and that followed a 5-1 defeat to West Ham in another Testimonial match a few days before this one.

Actually out of the three players only Sandy Anderson had been here 10 years the other two had 5 years service.
Blimey! Just how many years were we ahead of our time?With that line-up we must have played with a false number 9!

who was the ref ? :winking:

Well-known local officials,Mick.
M. Key was backed by F.Popplewell and E.Eighteen.
+ 1 change to the line-up....(young Scotsman) Laird played inside-left and Dudley Price switched to outside-left.

Well-known local officials,Mick.
M. Key was backed by F.Popplewell and E.Eighteen.
+ 1 change to the line-up....(young Scotsman) Laird played inside-left and Dudley Price switched to outside-left.

Ah .... Maurice Key one of my assessors many years decades ago, when I started to work my (short) way up the refereeing ladder. Lovely man, good advice delivered in a friendly way. In stark contrast to most of the other assessors.

New Years Day, 1992 won 4-0, that was a good day, didn`t we go top for a few hours? I think it was a 12:00 kick off.

Cracking game, i was there.....quick question.....didn't David Webb knock on the Chairman's door after the game, asking (demanding), a little reward and recognition ?

Closely followed by said Chairman declining his request, Webby walked and we tumbled down the table(s)...a true version of events ?

Cracking game, i was there.....quick question.....didn't David Webb knock on the Chairman's door after the game, asking (demanding), a little reward and recognition ?

Closely followed by said Chairman declining his request, Webby walked and we tumbled down the table(s)...a true version of events ?

Almost.

Webby wanted to negotiate the players contracts himself but Vic wouldn't let him. They had been negotiating for months on this.

After the Newcastle game Webby handed his notice in. This was meant to be a statement by Webby to say "I'm serious about this".

Sadly someone leaked it to the press and I think they stirred up a hornets nest between the two men. Too much was said and it became irreconcilable.

The following week we lost to Everton in the FA Cup and it all went downhill from there.

Any season ticket having the same problems as me trying to book their Newcastle seat online? As per usual seat unavailable so I will have to do the old fashioned way of waiting on the phone line for an age. The club really need to sort this out. Will no doubt be the same for the cup games.

Any season ticket having the same problems as me trying to book their Newcastle seat online? As per usual seat unavailable so I will have to do the old fashioned way of waiting on the phone line for an age. The club really need to sort this out. Will no doubt be the same for the cup games.

Nope. I logged in, went to home tickets and they were in my basket waiting for me

I was expecting problems as I had changed my 3 Family Stand seats for 4 in a different area. Instead I logged in, and found my seats waiting for me in my basket.

Back