• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Just got a text....

Status
Not open for further replies.
cant quite see from hear !!!!!!!!!!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mighty Shrimper @ Oct. 09 2005,23:35)]to say the Pier is up in flames. anybody confirm this?
Yes can see it from my window the end is burning !

Hi guys. First post, good to be here.

Just wanna confirm that the far end of Southend pier is well ablaze. I live just off the seafront at Westcliff, so when we heard me and my housemates went to look. Those flames are about 50 feet high. It looks like the pub and all of the train station is on fire. There's a lot of smoke bellowing over the pier and blowing in land due to the southerly wind. Also heard some explosions. When we first got down there, the police were at the arches cafe's blocking the road. We went over to one of those binocular things and put 20p in but it didn't work!

We have a theory that it was set ablaze by disgruntled Forest fans. Forest fire!

Hmm I live close to the seafront heard a bang about 30 mins ago, thought it was a firework....
suspect.gif

I'm a bit shaken up, I was on the end of the pier Friday night as my firm took us on a cruise up the thames. I was only explaining to one of my colleagues then how many disasters we've been plagued with.

From BBC Essex

A fire has destroyed the world's longest pier in what may have been an arson attack, the fire service said.
Firemen are still tackling the blaze, discovered at a pub on Southend Pier, Essex, late on Sunday night. Flames were seen to leap 30 feet into the air.

The pier's wooden floor has collapsed, taking with it the remains of the Jolly Fisherman pub, a rail station and other buildings into the sea.

The iron structure remains intact and no-one has been reported as injured.

Eyewitness Dave Watts told the BBC News website that the main entertainment area of the pier had been "devastated".

At its height, about 60 firefighters fought to control the blaze.

An Sea King helicopter was scrambled from Wattisham Airfield in Suffolk to see if anyone was in the water, and Thames Coastguard launched a search and rescue operation as a precaution.

There had been fears for some anglers who were unaccounted for, but they have all been located.

'Raging blaze'

Mr Watts, a cab driver, said he could see from the shore that the fire was "absolutely huge".

"The main entertainment area seems to have been totally destroyed. The fire was raging - it was very bad," he said.

The fire service confirmed no-one was missing from the pier.

Station Officer Dave Moore said: "It's quite a severe fire.

"At the moment we're treating it as suspicious but that's only as a cautionary action until an investigation proves otherwise."

He added the flames had looked "quite spectacular" from land, leaping 30 to 40 ft (9.14 to 12.2m) into the air.

However, Mr Moore added that the flames had now "died right back".

"Now it's just an orange glow," he said. "But it will be daylight before we can make a full attack because we are having to rely on our generators which give limited light.

"And because the floor has burned away we've got to be very careful where firefighters go - we don't want them to end up in the Thames."

Pier disasters

There are a number of buildings at the end of the pier, including the pub, fast food restaurants and a newly-built lifeboat station.

It is thought the lifeboat station has survived.

At 1.34 miles (2.16km), Southend Pier is the longest pleasure pier in the world. It opened in 1889, with extensions added in 1898, 1908 and 1929.

It has suffered a number of disasters in the past. In 1959 a major fire destroyed the Pier Pavilion at the shore end of the pier. This was replaced by a ten-pin bowling alley which opened in 1962.

The bowling alley was itself destroyed by a fire in 1995.

In 1976, the pier suffered another major fire which destroyed much of the area that had opened in 1908.

Former Southend MP Sir Teddy Taylor told BBC Five Live: ""It's sad because its one of the great assets we've got in Southend.

"It's a great place to walk down, it's a great opportunity for people to enjoy themselves. But sadly it looks as though we're in for a horrible business once again."

could be Forest Fans - lets face it bit of revenge for them , its what Southend is famous for like Forest used to be famous for football?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back