• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Hazey SUFC

First XI
So another week another defeat and another 3 goals conceded. Today however I truly belive the best side lost. We started brightly enough creating chances and generally bossing wolves around. However after a mad 10 minutes and some of the worst goalkeeping i have ever seen from Flavs we find ourselves 3-0 down. At that point I thought that this was going to be a 7-0 hammering but the team responded well from the defecit. Slowly we worked our way back into the game and before half time perhaps deserved a goal for our efforts.

The 2nd half started as the 1st finished, us just shading the run of play and creating chances. Around 15 minutes into the 2nd half we were rewarded for our efforts. After a nice bit of work by Freddy he passed to Gower who delivered a pin point cross onto the head of the in form Harrold to put past the keeper.
I can't really remember much of note after our goal apart from the fact that JCR was very impressive after he came on and definatly deserves a place agains't Man Ure.

So now for the ratings.....

Flavs-6 Despite really messing up their goals he still made some important stops.

Hunt-7 Started slowly and was beaten by his man too many times, in the 2nd half however upped his game considerably.

Sodje-7 Same old Sodje really, gave it his all and got stuck in.

Spinner-8 MOM My personal MOM hardly lost out on any headers and made some important challenges, pick of the defence and team.

Hammel-6 Almost opened the scoring early on with a peach of a free kick, faded as the game went on and was beaten to many times.

Gower-7 Jeckyll and Hyde day for Gower, great cross in for Harrold but ran the ball into nowhere and out of play many times.

Maher- 8 Probably joint MOM with Spinner, some nice touches and great vision with come passes. Didn't deserve to be on the losing team.

Clarke- 6 This guy just isn't a midfielder, however a nice run towards the end. Needless booking.

Francis-6 Again he is not a midfielder, he had plenty of opportunity to run at players but just didn't. Put him back in defence.

Harrold-7 A nice display from the big guy and a well taken goal, starting to form a partnership with Freddy

Eastwood-7 Caused their defence plenty of problems and if his 2nd half shot had gone in instead of hit the post it could have been a different story

Subs

JCR- 7 Caused problems

Referee-3 One of the worst refereeing displays I have ever seen

Stewards- Not really got a rating but was a very funny moment when one fan told the steward to " Get a real job you pikey"

So not all bad and plenty of positives to take away.

Hazey

I know I wasnt at the game but we cant keep saying the better side lost. We can play fantastic and outplay teams for 3/4 of a game all season but that wont help us when we keep making fatal defensive errors for the other quarter of the games.

Your post does brighten my mood a little but still, the defensive errors are costing us bigtime.

I agree we can't keep the excuse of the better side lost, but it's the only thing keeping me optimistic
biggrin.gif

Couldn't agree more mate, especially about JCR. His trickery will keep us possession against Man Ure, which we will need to concentrate on seeing as every Wolverhampton chance was not so much created as given to them. My one worry is Francis getting skinned at RB, but I'd expect Hunt to be dropped back to fill that position.

Yeah I went and agree on most of all that.. did you know Wolves hadn't scored over three goals all season then scored three in 22 mins!

We didn't deserve that. Flavs was at fault for the first, the second comes in off the bar, and the third is probably more Flavs than the defence.

We hit the bar twice today, what if Hammell's free kick had gone in. The game would have been totally different. We are good enough to stay up, whether we are lucky enough is another matter.

I wish i could share your optimism, but i cannot anymore. How many more times can we lose? how many more times can we let in 3? We are 5 points from being safe.
sad.gif

All the best

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hazey SUFC @ Nov. 04 2006,20:21)]I agree we can't keep the excuse of the better side lost, but it's the only thing keeping me optimistic
biggrin.gif
Comment from a Wolves fan on a Spanish ex-pat forum:

... we got 3 today (admitedly against the worst team ever to grace the Championship) ...

glare.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Xàbia Shrimper @ Nov. 04 2006,22:55)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hazey SUFC @ Nov. 04 2006,20:21)]I agree we can't keep the excuse of the better side lost, but it's the only thing keeping me optimistic
biggrin.gif

... we got 3 today (admitedly against the worst team ever to grace the Championship) ...

glare.gif
but surely if they're an ex-pat they'd have only judged that from our recent results?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (swanseashrimper @ Nov. 04 2006,22:58)]
[b said:
[b said:
biggrin.gif

glare.gif
but surely if they're an ex-pat they'd have only judged that from our recent results?
That is shocking

[b said:
Quote[/b] (swanseashrimper @ Nov. 04 2006,22:58)]
[b said:
[b said:
biggrin.gif

glare.gif
Exactly.

Can't agree about Maher as joint-MOM yesterday. The pressure of carrying the entire midfield responsibility took its toll yesterday. Kev is possibly the most guilty of looking to play the killer pass this year rather than the simple ball. Most of the balls that Gower ran out of play yesterday were massive overhits from Kev that Gower will never get on the end of.

I'm thinking more and more that we should have gone back and got McCleod from Swansea. He's exactly what we need and he's doing it now for Col******r so he must have been a reasonable target for us.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (swanseashrimper @ Nov. 04 2006,23:58)]
[b said:
[b said:
biggrin.gif

glare.gif
It was a clear attempt to net me as he knows I'm a Shrimper. I replied by suggesting that Southend United are actually the 24th best team in the Championship at the moment, the sort of positive spin of which Alistair Campbell would have been very proud. No reply as yet ...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Suffolk Blue @ Nov. 05 2006,08:23)]Can't agree about Maher as joint-MOM yesterday.  The pressure of carrying the entire midfield responsibility took its toll yesterday.  Kev is possibly the most guilty of looking to play the killer pass this year rather than the simple ball.  Most of the balls that Gower ran out of play yesterday were massive overhits from Kev that Gower will never get on the end of.

I'm thinking more and more that we should have gone back and got McCleod from Swansea.  He's exactly what we need and he's doing it now for Col******r so he must have been a reasonable target for us.
McCleod is not that fit at the minute, the lad certainly has skill but still looks well off full fitness at present. He may well be only a bench player when Watson and Garcia come back from injury. He certainly has something about him though with a surprising turn of pace and a decent header of the ball as well. Young Ritchie Jones (on loan from Man U) is showing up well too, making some good runs from midfield and getting on the end of a ball in the box resulting in us getting the penalty yesterday.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (chadded @ Nov. 04 2006,21:32)]We didn't deserve that. Flavs was at fault for the first, the second comes in off the bar, and the third is probably more Flavs than the defence.
Just seen the goals, Agree with you you on the first flavs clanger, the second, nothing anyone could do about it( great goal), the third a set peice think clarkey is definatlly at fault. Its a set peice and he lets his man get a yard in front of him, cant do that at this level Im afraid.

Peronally, I think yesterday's game is the most disappointing result we've had this season; because we didn't deserve to lose, whatever the scoreline suggests.

But then, we also didn't deserve to lost at Leeds last week. But we still did!

Had Steve Hammell's first minute free kick gone in instead of hitting the bar, and had Flahavan not made an appalling error to gift Wolves the lead, I think we could have gone on to win the game.

The fact that a once-in-a-liftetime goal flew in off the bar seconds after their first goal was just the luck a side at the bottom of the table gets! It killed us and undoubtedly knocked our spirits after we'd made such a good start and bossed the opening periods, only to find ourselves 2-0 behind.

The third goal again showed our vulnerability from set-pieces and again showed that Flahavan's lack of height is even more noticeable at this level.

Darryl is undoubtedly not having the best of times at the moment. His mistake for the first goal yesterday almost certainly shook his confidence and led to his frail handling throughout the rest of the afternoon. But having conceded so many goals recently, and 'keepers confidence will be low. Maybe it's time for a change between the sticks. Steve Collis has proven to be a depenable replacement, and he has that huge advantage over Darryl because of his commanding height.

Typically, Freddy Eastwood's second half shot bounced off the angle (when Wolves are scoring in off the bar!), had it gone in, at 3-2 Wolves would have certainly been worried, however I don't think he's beyond dropping as he has been anonymous in a lot of games recently.

How about giving Matt Harrold and Gary Hooper a go up front together against Preston on Saturday? On the few occassions Freddy has been on the bench, he has come on and scored (citing Yeovil and Forest at home last season and Shrewsbury at home the season before as example off the top of my head), and it may be the kick-start he needs, knowing he has to do the business to keep his place.

What is guarenteed though, is that we need a midfielder. An attacking midfielder who will find and exploit space and who isn't scared to do the positive things. Peter Clarkes adds a bit of battling spice, that there's no doubt, but his distribution is atrocious.

After the Ipswich game, I suggested Clarke played here, and that proved to be the case, but he's only a short term answer! We need, ideally, to get a loanee in (as previously mentioned Col U have got a young fella Ritchie Jones from Manchester United) who's hungry to impress in the Championship. Not long term I know, but hopefully long enough to get some spark back into our midfield!

Perahaps Steve Hammell could slot into midfield? He's got good vision and can play an accurate ball, and I wouldn't bet against him popping up with a few goals.

Equally, Che Wilson slotting into his left back position wouldn't do any harm.

I would love to see Mitchell Cole return too. To me it seems mad that Simon Francis, a right back (albeit one we can't possibly play at back due to inability to defend) is playing on the left wing when a hugely creative player is away from the Club on loan. Can anyone honestly say Cole wouldn't have caused Wolves problems yesterday? I'm in no doubt he would have done.

Unfortunately, though, I'm not a subscriber to the Campbell-Ryce fan-club. Yes he has tricks, and he's a live-wire, but the fact he pops up in so many different positions disturbs the balance of the side. And for all his tricks and turns, in all the games he has played for us the end result has always been the same; absolutely nothing.

Yesterday was harsh on us, but we can't continue losing games we shouldn't, we need a shake-up, and if that means playing tighter football and looking to grab a goal so be it. It's results we need not performances!!

In fairness, our last four away showings have been decent, and I feel an away League win isn't far away. Just a shame our home games aren't the same!

Up the Blues.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Maldon Blues @ Nov. 05 2006,11:55)]Perahaps Steve Hammell could slot into midfield? He's got good vision and can play an accurate ball, and I wouldn't bet against him popping up with a few goals.

I would love to see Mitchell Cole return too. To me it seems mad that Simon Francis, a right back (albeit one we can't possibly play at back due to inability to defend) is playing on the left wing when a hugely creative player is away from the Club on loan. Can anyone honestly say Cole wouldn't have caused Wolves problems yesterday? I'm in no doubt he would have done.
Great shout about hammell, I would go as far as this

flavs

che wilson     efe    spinner     barrett

maher

gower            hamell          cole

Eastwood    harrold

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Winkle @ Nov. 05 2006,12:17)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Maldon Blues @ Nov. 05 2006,11:55)]Perahaps Steve Hammell could slot into midfield? He's got good vision and can play an accurate ball, and I wouldn't bet against him popping up with a few goals.

Great shout about hammell, I would go as far as this

flavs

che wilson efe spinner barrett

maher

gower hamell cole

Eastwood harrold
*pictures opposition right-winger rubbing his hands with glee*
rock.gif

I've just got back after staying with a mate from uni in Stourbridge last night.

I played poker with a load of Wolves fans last night that were at the game who would agree with most of the sentiment on here, i.e. that they were very fortunate to be three goals up after the first 22 minutes!!

After 6 minutes yesterday there would only be one winner. We had started so brightly, hit the bar, caused some panic at the Wolves end on a few occasions, while they genuinely had difficulty getting out of their own half.

One cast iron clanger from Flavs, a "freak" goal from a centre half (volley over his own shoulder from the edge of the box) and a piece of **** poor defending and it's 3-0. I think at that point, Wolves had taken 4 efforts at goal, it was surreal.

An improved, battling performance in the second half was the least we could have expected. Had Eastwood's shot not come back from the inside of the post, we might have even been able to snatch a draw.

Ok, a 3-1 defeat looks bad, but at times the performance didn't warrant it. An insane 15 minute spell cost us massively, but even then, only the third goal was due to poor defending.

I still think we need to get bodies in or change the formation we play if we're gonna stick with what we have available. Clarke is never a central midfielder and both Hammell and Francis look far more comfortable going forward than defending. Perhaps a 3-5-2 would be better with what we have available, with Gower or Hooper providing that extra, more advanced player in midfield?

As long as the lads battle and try as hard as they can then I'll not moan too much. I saw enough battling spirit there yesterday to hope that better things are around the corner!!

Roll on tuesday!!

UTB and UTZ!

Back