• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Karl Lansley's 'Poignant Pilgrimage'

This post has been put up here with the kind permission of the Mods.

A number of you will be aware of Karl's story. Just over seven years ago, he tragically lost his wife Carli to a sudden cardiac arrest. It was all so instant, and Karl was left to bring up his two young children without her, which he does with loving care.

With the support of his family, Karl has set up a charity in his wife's name, the 'Carli Lansley Foundation - keeping young hearts healthy', which is devoted to raising funds to provide heart screening programmes for the young.

Karl and his two children are season ticket holders at Roots Hall, and the club has supported his endeavours - JD is one of the patrons.

Karl's 1,000 mile pilgrimage in many ways is part of his healing process, but he is also raising money to support his charity's aims.

Yesterday my wife and I joined Karl at Portsmouth for just 1% of his overall pilgrimage - we were quite knackered at the end of it and it made us appreciate Karl's efforts even more. A theme of his journey so far has been the kindness shown by people along the way, many until now just strangers, who have helped with accommodation as well as donations, or just given him some walking company (yesterday for part of the walk we were joined by someone from a local rambling group).

His walk is due to end on 24 July at our beloved Roots Hall. Lets of course all hope that by then we all still have a club to welcome him back to.

If you would like to help Karl get to his fundraising target please just click HERE to get to the Just Giving page. He is aware that I am posting up here on his behalf, and I know he would really appreciate any help that can be given.

Thank you. 💙

447713615_10162425416711015_5552026394291191905_n.jpg

Karl has heavily promoted this on Facebook, there are some stretches that he's walking on his own, and the odd one or two are ok, but he has found these hard if there's a few solitary days in a row. If you're an Exile who is able to join in, and would like to, then do get in touch with him and I'm sure he would welcome the support.

Just wanted to bump this along as today marks the end of of Karl's Poignant Pilgrimage walking over 1,000 miles with it ending at Roots Hall today with the aim of him arriving at 3pm. If your in the area or queuing for a season ticket I'm sure he would appreciate a little clap as he finishes his mammoth trek.

It's ending today in which would have been his 20th wedding anniversary to Carli whom the foundation is named after.

My wife in a couple of weeks is doing a skydive (must need her head testing) and has decided to raise money for the Carli Lansley Foundation to help to cover some of the costs of allowing the foundation to host ECG screenings for young people (aged 14-35) in the Southend area.

If anyone wishes to sponsor her to help raise money for the foundation the link can be found below. Remember to gift aid too!

From Karl's FB - Truly amazing achievement:
** A POIGNANT PILGRIMAGE – THE FINAL DAY **
** WEDNESDAY 24 JULY – WICKFORD TO SOUTHEND **
74 days after starting...
60 days of walking...
1005 miles...
2,141,092 steps...
nearly 150 walking companions...
It all culminated on the final day of the pilgrimage, and what a fantastic (but VERY emotional) way to end it
It all began at 8am at Wickford Train Station, where I was joined by Simon Brown, Grace Gunn and Sam Booth and we walked together to Rayleigh Train Station. As much as we sough to seek out offroad paths, the final stretch into Rayleigh saw us walking along London Road. It was an absolute pleasure to walk with these 3 people, none of who knew each other before yesterday and yet all 4 of us bonded, laughed, chatted and seeing this camaraderie was just lovely to see. And this idea that “strangers” can connect over a common cause (such as walking, or supporting a charity) will stay with me long after this walk finishes
Once at Rayleigh ,we were joined by Joanne Joseph, Helen Skinner and Lisa Whittington Durham.
The “Magnificent Seven” then set off through Cherry Orchard to arrive at Eastwood Community Centre just after 12.
As we were not due to resume walk until 1pm, this gave people a chance to rest some weary legs.
By 1pm, the walking group had increased significantly as we were joined by lots more friends and family.
We set off for Priory Park and it was at this stage of the walk that I officially passed the 1000-mile mark.
At Priory Park, the main walking group made their way to Roots Hall. Carli's family detoured to Sutton Road Cemetery to place flowers on her headstone and we passed by St Mary's Church where we were married on 24 July 2004
It was at both these locations, that all the emotions built up over the past few weeks just came pouring out and I will admit to completely breaking down
One of the aims of this walk was to honour the memory of Carli in the most unforgettable way and I think I achieved. I know I can move forward “with” Carli but create a new future that will bring me happiness....and I know that this is what she would want for me
The family arrived at Roots Hall at 3.10pm and the very final leg of the walk was to sit in the seats where Carli would sit with Jess, Ethan and myself
Carli's ashes were only spread at two locations today....St Mary's Church and the area in front of the stand where we sit at Roots Hall
Carli will be forever with us
There are so many thank you's I will want to make over next few days and I will try to remember every single person who contributed....it is a LOT of people
This morning, I am emotionally drained and physically shattered. The next few days will definitely bring a period of reflection....on where I've been, who I've met, what I've achieved and where I go from here
The third photo I've shared is a screenshot from Strava, where every day's walk has been recorded.
** donations **
I have now raised £9,220 (plus £4,500 offline) during this journey. If you'd like to donate to my walk, this is the link to my just giving page:-
https://www.justgiving.com/page/karl-lansley-1696527118858
** heart screenings **
Part of this pilgrimage is to raise awareness of the free heart screenings available to young people (aged 14-35). All the checks are administered by Cardiac Risk In The Young. If you would like to attend one of the screenings funded by our Foundation – currently all screenings are in Southend – please message me via Facebook. If you live in another part of the country, or are unable to get to Essex, please register your interest with CRY at the following link and they will notify you when a screening day is available in your area:-
https://www.testmyheart.org.uk/

+2

All reactions:
19You, Andrew Leeder, Jim Harrington and 16 others
** A POIGNANT PILGRIMAGE – THE FINAL DAY **
** WEDNESDAY 24 JULY – WICKFORD TO SOUTHEND **
74 days after starting...
60 days of walking...
1005 miles...
2,141,092 steps...
nearly 150 walking companions...
It all culminated on the final day of the pilgrimage, and what a fantastic (but VERY emotional) way to end it
It all began at 8am at Wickford Train Station, where I was joined by Simon Brown, Grace Gunn and Sam Booth and we walked together to Rayleigh Train Station. As much as we sough to seek out offroad paths, the final stretch into Rayleigh saw us walking along London Road. It was an absolute pleasure to walk with these 3 people, none of who knew each other before yesterday and yet all 4 of us bonded, laughed, chatted and seeing this camaraderie was just lovely to see. And this idea that “strangers” can connect over a common cause (such as walking, or supporting a charity) will stay with me long after this walk finishes
Once at Rayleigh ,we were joined by Joanne Joseph, Helen Skinner and Lisa Whittington Durham.
The “Magnificent Seven” then set off through Cherry Orchard to arrive at Eastwood Community Centre just after 12.
As we were not due to resume walk until 1pm, this gave people a chance to rest some weary legs.
By 1pm, the walking group had increased significantly as we were joined by lots more friends and family.
We set off for Priory Park and it was at this stage of the walk that I officially passed the 1000-mile mark.
At Priory Park, the main walking group made their way to Roots Hall. Carli's family detoured to Sutton Road Cemetery to place flowers on her headstone and we passed by St Mary's Church where we were married on 24 July 2004
It was at both these locations, that all the emotions built up over the past few weeks just came pouring out and I will admit to completely breaking down
One of the aims of this walk was to honour the memory of Carli in the most unforgettable way and I think I achieved. I know I can move forward “with” Carli but create a new future that will bring me happiness....and I know that this is what she would want for me
The family arrived at Roots Hall at 3.10pm and the very final leg of the walk was to sit in the seats where Carli would sit with Jess, Ethan and myself
Carli's ashes were only spread at two locations today....St Mary's Church and the area in front of the stand where we sit at Roots Hall
Carli will be forever with us
There are so many thank you's I will want to make over next few days and I will try to remember every single person who contributed....it is a LOT of people
This morning, I am emotionally drained and physically shattered. The next few days will definitely bring a period of reflection....on where I've been, who I've met, what I've achieved and where I go from here
The third photo I've shared is a screenshot from Strava, where every day's walk has been recorded.
** donations **
I have now raised £9,220 (plus £4,500 offline) during this journey. If you'd like to donate to my walk, this is the link to my just giving page:-
https://www.justgiving.com/page/karl-lansley-1696527118858
** heart screenings **
Part of this pilgrimage is to raise awareness of the free heart screenings available to young people (aged 14-35). All the checks are administered by Cardiac Risk In The Young. If you would like to attend one of the screenings funded by our Foundation – currently all screenings are in Southend – please message me via Facebook. If you live in another part of the country, or are unable to get to Essex, please register your interest with CRY at the following link and they will notify you when a screening day is available in your area:-
https://www.testmyheart.org.uk/

Back