• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ken Buchanan

Very sad, but then even sadder those they pay to watch him again, boxing is fast becoming a freak show, when the likes of Foreman, Tyson all come out for one last shot, full credit to Lennox Lewis retired whilst at the top

I think someone is making something out of nothing here.

What Ken has said, which was on the radio yesterday afternoon, is that he still goes down the gym to keep in shape, but that he is down on his luck, so if he was offered a lot of money to do a 3 round exhibition at 'white collar' sportsman evening he would have to consider doing it as a one-off. None of what has been printed in the media, he insists, came from him but a disingenuous agent (quelle surprise).

Reading between the lines, what he's saying is 'someone please arrange me a benefit evening' without being forced to beg for one in public.

Have to say, pound-for-pound, he was the best British fighter I've ever seen. Incredibly, due to a dispute between the WBC and BBBC, Ken was barred from fighting for world titles in the UK. He therefore had to go into the champion's back yard in Puerto Rico (can't remember his name) and won the world lightweight title on points, in the days when you had to knock the guy out to get a draw.

He was also involved in a classic confrontation with Roberto Duran. Duran resorted to consistenly punching Buchanan way after the bell had gone to get a late stoppage. Duran absolutely refused to give him a re-match afterwards, which many Panamanians still think was worse behaviour than his 'No mas' humiliation against Leonard. Unlike here in Britain, Ken Buchanan is still remembered and even revered in Central America.

He was that good, that tough. For the sake of sporting heritage I hope he gets the benefit night and recognition he richly deserves.

I think someone is making something out of nothing here.

What Ken has said, which was on the radio yesterday afternoon, is that he still goes down the gym to keep in shape, but that he is down on his luck, so if he was offered a lot of money to do a 3 round exhibition at 'white collar' sportsman evening he would have to consider doing it as a one-off. None of what has been printed in the media, he insists, came from him but a disingenuous agent (quelle surprise).

Reading between the lines, what he's saying is 'someone please arrange me a benefit evening' without being forced to beg for one in public.

Have to say, pound-for-pound, he was the best British fighter I've ever seen. Incredibly, due to a dispute between the WBC and BBBC, Ken was barred from fighting for world titles in the UK. He therefore had to go into the champion's back yard in Puerto Rico (can't remember his name) and won the world lightweight title on points, in the days when you had to knock the guy out to get a draw.

He was also involved in a classic confrontation with Roberto Duran. Duran resorted to consistenly punching Buchanan way after the bell had gone to get a late stoppage. Duran absolutely refused to give him a re-match afterwards, which many Panamanians still think was worse behaviour than his 'No mas' humiliation against Leonard. Unlike here in Britain, Ken Buchanan is still remembered and even revered in Central America.

He was that good, that tough. For the sake of sporting heritage I hope he gets the benefit night and recognition he richly deserves.

Great post SG

BTW it was Ismael laguna according to wiki

Back