• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Kevin Maher

After speaking to somebody who went on Saturday,who said the two bookings were harsh, I have come to the opinion that Kevin opens his mouth too much.
If you were a ref and you had Kev mouthing off to you all match you are not going to favor him in many decisions, in fact you would be watching him like a hawk just in case he slips up. To overcome this, Kevin must learn to not wind up the officials or learn how get his point across without causing offence. Unless this happens I feel that we will carry on losing our captain through silly bookings.
If he doesn't curb his tounge perhaps subbing him after his first yellow would be the answer or taking away the captains armband .... it might shut him up !

Its not always easy to keep your mouth shut during a game though. During a football match emotions are running high and you do get upset when decisions go against you, and well and truly ****ed off if the decision seem to go one way all game. You can't just go and tell Maher to keep his mouth shut, I bet when we all play/watch football we tend to argue with decisions against us.

Also, Maher should be allowed to talk to the ref seeing as his the captain. The reason Maher got sent off was because he was in the refs ear all game. I've only seen the second challenge and it wasn't a yellow card offence but the ref was obviously fed up with him.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ Nov. 24 2004,19:58)]After speaking to somebody who went on Saturday,who said the two bookings were harsh, I have come to the opinion that Kevin opens his mouth too much.
I don't want to be rude, but surely it hasn't taken you this long to reach that conclusion?!

Wasn't it a couple of years ago that Kev picked up 10 bookings, 9 of which had been for dissent...?!

rock.gif
wink.gif

thats like telling vieira or keane or gerrard to lose their passion and chill. they will lose the edge that they have if they do so.

Exactly... Maher's Captain and will appeal a decision he considers to be wrong. What he needs to learn is when to stop flapping his gums... If the referee waves him away 'twice', it is no good spitting your dummy out a third time... Ā 
rock.gif

I don't understand the disparity in attitudes to referees in other sports. For example we know that there is zero tolerance to players answering back to referees in rugby. I personally think that this stance should be adopted in football.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ Nov. 24 2004,19:58)]If he doesn't curb his tounge
I think you'll find he has done quite a lot recently. Before Saturday I believe he went 10 games without a booking... Thats not bad for record for him in my opinion!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BoyWonder2 @ Nov. 24 2004,20:04)]Its not always easy to keep your mouth shut during a game though. During a football match emotions are running high and you do get upset when decisions go against you, and well and truly ****ed off if the decision seem to go one way all game. You can't just go and tell Maher to keep his mouth shut, I bet when we all play/watch football we tend to argue with decisions against us.

Also, Maher should be allowed to talk to the ref seeing as his the captain. The reason Maher got sent off was because he was in the refs ear all game. I've only seen the second challenge and it wasn't a yellow card offence but the ref was obviously fed up with him.
"Maher should be allowed to talk to the referee seeing as he's captain"

Why? The referee won't change his mind!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Nov. 24 2004,20:10)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ Nov. 24 2004,19:58)]After speaking to I have come to the opinion that Kevin opens his mouth too much.
I don't want to be rude, but surely it hasn't taken you this long to reach that conclusion?!

Wasn't it a couple of years ago that Kev picked up 10 bookings, 9 of which had been for dissent...?!
Absolutely!

It was for this reason that I predicted, with some degree of confidence that Maher would pick up a total of 22 disciplinary points this season. He was doing pretty well early on too... getting almost a card a match for dissent.

It's not that I want him to trapp off & get booked you understand. It's just that he's done it for years and shows no sign of changing, so when you're asked "who's going to get the most disciplinary points this season?" Super-Kev is the obvious candidate.

Can no-one look at Kevin Maher's positive points. I'm not saying that Maher is right for mouthing off at refs and officials, I'm a ref myself but he has 10 assists to his name this season and therefore he must be doing something right. IMHO we will miss King Kev greatly tonight through suspension tonight. He holds the ball in the midfield and gets the passing movement going for all of our best attacks. I also think we will miss his set pieces as they are so flat and therefore Barrett and other can attack the football to great effect.
Maher has had problems with discipline but these are not to go without his great influence he has on the team.

Games without Maher -Played 1 Lost 1

Maher definitely does himself no favour with his whinging. I'm all for passion in football, and I've nothing against pressurising the referees, but you've got to be smart about it.

If you concede a free-kick by all means make your displeasure known to the referee by feigning shock and/or innocence (Phil Gridelet was a master at this), as it'll plant the doubt in the referee's mind for when you do exactly the same thing 60 seconds later. But he's not going to change his mind on that decision, so make your point and then get back and defend. No-one likes a whinger.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ Nov. 26 2004,14:12)]No-one likes a whinger.
That's true. Stop moaning about Maher then......

I for one am looking forward to this game with slightly less optimism with King Kev on the sidelines - unfortunately Maher does whinge but he adds so much more to the team than others realise.

So I predict 24-0.

I was at Yeovil saturday and thought both bookings were harsh!! Maher does open his mouth too often but I felt he was hard done by on saturday - to the point that on receiving his second yellow he shook the refs hand to congratulate him on what was an all round awful performance!!

I ont think we shud complain, it shows he cares about the club. I agree that he could show it in a slightly more constructive monor than he does, but thats life i spose. I know that if i was on the turf in a blues shirt then i would feel the need to contest decisions, because its in my blood. One could say that Kev wasnt born with it in his blood, but i think he has the right to call himself a Ture Blue, so i can see both sides of the arguement. He gets booked for disent too much, unfortunetely in football you obtain a reputation for things, and they stick, but id rather have that, than a captain who said nothing all game.

Back