• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Kids at home - keep?

RobM

55 years as a supporter!⭐
OK here's today's question.

If you have/had an adult child (say, 20 years old) living with you and working full time, how much 'keep' should they pay you? Just include 'rent', food. utilities. Personal things (clothes, car etc.) would be their own expense.

Well I'm 17 and pay £20 a week. And my cousin who is 21 pays his mum and dad I think it was around the £25 mark, but don't know now as he has no job and wouldn't surprise if he has any money!!

Depends how much they earn. If they only earn minimum wage etc £20-£25 pw. If they have a good job earning much more, nearer £50 a week would be reasonable. They probably eat more than that in food alone

My old man used to take every single penny I earned. In return I was allowed half an hour of electric per day and a cold shower once a week. It was really charecter building and I thank him for it.

In realty I used to pay Dad £100 all in I think. If you feel uneasy taking the money you could have always take it from them, then put it into an account for them without there knowledge and give it back to them when they move out? Just an idea.

You need to charge something so they start getting used to the fact that living somewhere actually costs money. I charge my two 60 quid a month although the older one is due to go up to 120 and the younger one has got a year free for some reason which I can't remember.

my dad sent me up the chimneys to earn my keep - at the age of 13 when i coudnt fit up the chimneys anymore my mother sent me to live in hockley woods where i was raised by alf -
alf-po3.jpg

untill i was 16 when i got a job at spud u like. damn, i was in charge of tuna and sweetcorn. good times indeed.

hope this helps

Bobby x

My dad used the same rule of thumb as had been applied to him, and it always seemed fair, even if it was more than most of my friends - one third of your net wages, increases included.

going back bout 20 years a mate of mine was charged 50% of whatever he earned that month, be it a tenner or a grand. When at aged 21 he bought his first house they gave him back every penny he had given them plus the intrest it had earnt in the bank account they had been putting it in. To say he considered this to be one of the better days in his life would be an understatement.

Thanks for your answers. The 'child' in question is on about 20K so I reckon £60 a week is fair - it costs about that just to rent a room.

Oddly enough, a chum at work suggested 20% of take-home which coincidentally worked out to £59.61 - 39p shy of my suggestion!

i think 20% of his take home is fair enough, and tell him if he thinks its too much, he should try 'flying solo' and see how good a deal £60 a week is!

I pay £50 a month which is a touch although until I start my new job next month I am rent free! Personally I think it had t be relative to what they earn.

Thanks for your answers. The 'child' in question is on about 20K so I reckon £60 a week is fair - it costs about that just to rent a room.

Oddly enough, a chum at work suggested 20% of take-home which coincidentally worked out to £59.61 - 39p shy of my suggestion!

That's just about spot on I think.

Yeah my mum and dad did 20%, I think that's a fair amount really.

Back