• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Could either of the two new loanees play out wide, they certainly have the pace?

Let's not play people out of position. We did that with Timlin who struggled but never stopped trying - many fans got on his back and those same fans are now expressing astonishment that he's playing well in midfield - strange that!

Put McGlashan in or put a kid in.

Definitely wouldn't move Timlin. Him and Dru have been a revelation in that central role.

Also, SCP prefers players wide who can cut in and deliver crosses curling in towards the goal, so if anything, McG would be better playing on the left, although I know he was predominantly on the right last night.

I'd be tempted to try Theo there, in truth. McG is a 30 minutes max player, for me.
Playing Theo out wide would be disastrous, terrible first touch and crosses going over the stand.

McGlashan is our only other out and out wide player and should get a start on Saturday, personally I don't rate him, but think he is the best option.

Kightly is a bit like Wordy, frustratingly injury prone and up until Powell arrived I wouldn't have been fussed about him not playing, but last few games has been a revelation, so now is a real loss.

Whatever we do, we should not change the midfield 2 dynamic!

Playing Theo out wide would be disastrous, terrible first touch and crosses going over the stand.

McGlashan is our only other out and out wide player and should get a start on Saturday, personally I don't rate him, but think he is the best option.

Fair point on Theo. Just feel as a player cutting in with a bit of strength, he has more to offer and though a few crosses will go astray, some will hit their target.

I recall a goal away at Coventry last season, where he showed a lot of strength and pace out wide and crossed for Nile to score.

It might not be great, but I think it would be far from disastrous.

Let's not play people out of position. We did that with Timlin who struggled but never stopped trying - many fans got on his back and those same fans are now expressing astonishment that he's playing well in midfield - strange that!

Put McGlashan in or put a kid in.

Timlin got criticised because he was diving in, giving away stupid fouls and constantly giving the ball away. That had nothing to do with playing out of position.

Obviously he's more comfortable in his normal position, and he's stopped doing the stupid things (maybe with a new manager he needs to step up, as he has no incriminating photos to blackmail him with!!!)

Anyway back to wingers - don't rate McG though maybe he deserves a chance under CP if not, maybe one of the newbies or Theo.

Apologies if I’ve missed this somewhere, but has there been any more definitive news on Kights’ injury? It might only have been a twinge without much actual damage - hopefully. Clearly he won’t play on Saturday but it would be great to know roughly how long he might be out based on actual medical assessment rather than just the post-match general update I’ve seen so far.

Timlin got criticised because he was diving in, giving away stupid fouls and constantly giving the ball away. That had nothing to do with playing out of position.

Obviously he's more comfortable in his normal position, and he's stopped doing the stupid things (maybe with a new manager he needs to step up, as he has no incriminating photos to blackmail him with!!!)

Anyway back to wingers - don't rate McG though maybe he deserves a chance under CP if not, maybe one of the newbies or Theo.

I tend to disagree. He is comfortable in CM and knows what's expected. He knows if he doesn't make a tackle, he has support

Playing at LB, a position he isn't used to playing, he was quite often alienated, as LB/RB's quite often are. Rather than jockey the player, force him onto his other foot etc etc etc, Timlin did tend to dive in. Maybe he thought he had to stop the player at all costs and diving in to make the challenge was his way of doing it

Agree with this. McGlashan has shown spurts of really being able to hurt teams - now's his chance to get on and do it.

Do we have a playing surface at the moment that really gives wingers a proper chance of dribbling and crossing I wonder?

We have played with 1 winger and 1 holding midfielder in the past but I'm not sure we have the players for that option either - unless Elvis comes in and Demi gets pushed into midfield (not really a good solution to be honest).

another so;ution would be to play 5-3-2 team off
Oxley
ferdy turner kyps
demetriou coker
Dru Timlin Mclaughlin
cox maf
subs bishop, lapado harrison,,klass McG, youth cd and another either cd or midfielder depending on who is available

I'd be amazed if SCP changes the system. He seems to be of the same view as Webby and Tilly and is set up the same way as they were. Two central midfielders and two wide ones who can cross and get their fair share of goals. Ansah/Tilly spring to mind immediately. Two full backs who are comfortable getting forward. Austin/Powell.

I think he'll throw McG in, personally.

I also think McG will and should start, use pace against pace from the onset and change accordingly after 60+ minutes if needed against defensive tired legs.

I'd be amazed if SCP changes the system. He seems to be of the same view as Webby and Tilly and is set up the same way as they were. Two central midfielders and two wide ones who can cross and get their fair share of goals. Ansah/Tilly spring to mind immediately. Two full backs who are comfortable getting forward. Austin/Powell.

I think he'll throw McG in, personally.

McG has shown, on too many occasions, that he huffs and puffs without producing an end product. Theo, despite the reservations from many, could do a job but it looks unlikely he will be asked to do so. You are right that Tilly liked wide players but not necessarily wingers. He used, very successfully, Carl Pettefer as a wide right. He was a busy, industrious player, not a speed merchant and did more to protect the right flank and allow the full back to overlap, than he did in forward play. I wonder if we have another gem like Dru, say Batlokwa in the U-23's, that could do a similar job?

Oddly Pett's started at Portsmouth so that might be an omen! Can you believe he is only 36 and still playing for Poole Town? It feels like a lifetime ago he was with us.

You've basically picked out all the weaknesses that I was thinking. On the plus side, We've seen him roast some full backs over and over. He is the quickest player in our squad, but it's going to waste. Even if the coaches work on his crossing when he's gone past the full back, that would make him a much more productive player.

Mc Glashen was released by Gillingham for all the reasons highlighted in this thread. They tried to work on all the issues with limited success and so called it a day, and his opportunities similarly became less, although the Gills were less inclined towards two outright wingers. Certainly the Gills fans also became frustrated as they came to terms with the weaknesses masked by the pace and the very occasional ability to strongly influence a game. With all that pace you would be forgiven for thinking MC G was a mere youngster, but as he heads towards 30, you do start to wonder when he will learn those additional skills that would make him a much more formidable player. Some players I guess do take longer to mature, but time is running out at this level. I hoped when he moved to us we would benefit from the change, but so far the pattern seems to be on repeat.
So I hope under Sir CP mr. MC G will really start to step up to the plate and demonstrate a genuine improvement on those areas seen to be lacking over the past 4 years ?

McG has shown, on too many occasions, that he huffs and puffs without producing an end product. Theo, despite the reservations from many, could do a job but it looks unlikely he will be asked to do so. You are right that Tilly liked wide players but not necessarily wingers. He used, very successfully, Carl Pettefer as a wide right. He was a busy, industrious player, not a speed merchant and did more to protect the right flank and allow the full back to overlap, than he did in forward play. I wonder if we have another gem like Dru, say Batlokwa in the U-23's, that could do a similar job?

Oddly Pett's started at Portsmouth so that might be an omen! Can you believe he is only 36 and still playing for Poole Town? It feels like a lifetime ago he was with us.

I make you spot on 'rab'.

I'd like to see Theo given a chance. McG just doesn't have the concentration and work rate levels for 90 minutes, for me. Felt the same about Zavon Hines when I saw him. Likes to have the ball, but limited without it. Theo just gives you a bit more, I think.

I was thinking about Tilly and Webby after your post and you're right. The wide players weren't out and out wingers, often. They were players like Tilly himself, who cut inside and scored a fair number of goals. The width was often from the overlapping full-backs, who got the space, precisely because players like Tilly drifted infield to create it.

I see SCP utilizing Cokes and Demi in these roles. As PB did. But with SCP, the focus on the full-backs is more on defence and then to join the attack at the right moments. I've noticed that neither are quite so adventurous as before, which is allowing us to keep a better shape at the back.

But with SCP, the focus on the full-backs is more on defence and then to join the attack at the right moments. I've noticed that neither are quite so adventurous as before, which is allowing us to keep a better shape at the back.

Funnily enough I mentioned exactly the same thing to my son the other day - maybe this is because of the lack of pace with our Central Defenders? Whatever the reason, it's working well so far - we've only let in one goal in the last 3 games!

Someone suggested moving Demi forward and bringing in Elvis at RB? Would be my favoured change. Keeps it tighter down that side, and Elvis does like to get forward too.

I'd consider moving Yearwood out wide. He deserves to continue in the team and think we'd be even stronger with him on the flank and Wright/Mantom/Wordsworth in the middle alongside Timlin.

Last edited:
I'd consider moving Yearwood out wide. He deserves to continue in the team and think we'd be even stronger with him on the flank and Wright/Motsom/Wordsworth in the middle alongside Timlin.

Keep the centre of midfield the same and give glash a game. SCP has shown that for best results play players in their positions. Why change that policy now? It’s not as if glash is so bad that he can’t keep a full back occupied?

Back