• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Koi Carp

Aberdeen Shrimper

The Man who sold the world
If there are any Koi owners/enthusiast out there, I have a couple of questions for you.

I'm have a raised pond and will be stocking it with various fish including half a dozen Koi measuring approx 3 to 4" The volume is approx 200 Gallons (UK)

After some reading I have not found that Koi get particularly aggressive with any other type of fish and that the ideal PH level for them is around 7.5

Does this ring true and is there any other advice that you think i should have before getting them?

Cheers in advance.

Blimey Dave, if I was talking to her I'd put you in touch with my sister who has about 25 koi averaging about 15" each and probably worth in excess of £500 a time! She's moving to Ipswich and having them shipped up there somehow. Maybe someone who is a mutual friend of us both might put in a word for you? There's very little she doesn't know about them - especially that they don't hibernate, just become a bit sleepy and go to the depths!

Well I think that is god damn selfish of you, you should go and phone her now, renew your sibling relationship and get me some advice :winking:

Its all me me me with you isn't it! :smile:

Well I think that is god damn selfish of you, you should go and phone her now, renew your sibling relationship and get me some advice :winking:

Its all me me me with you isn't it! :smile:

Oh my! If only you knew!!! Get Cricko onto her, or Readey, both are mutual friends! Or just go through their FB and message her....name pm'd

If there are any Koi owners/enthusiast out there, I have a couple of questions for you.

I'm have a raised pond and will be stocking it with various fish including half a dozen Koi measuring approx 3 to 4" The volume is approx 200 Gallons (UK)

After some reading I have not found that Koi get particularly aggressive with any other type of fish and that the ideal PH level for them is around 7.5

Does this ring true and is there any other advice that you think i should have before getting them?

Cheers in advance.

We've an aquatics concession at work. If you're still looking for info tomorrow then pm me and I'll have a word with them.

Blimey now there's a blast from the past !!!

Evening Dave, trust you and the minx are fine and dandy

Koi ARE aggressive but can usually be calmed by hanging a white piece of cloth near the pond. A red cross, words and scribbles can be added for an extra calming influence

I'm loathe to join in with any sensible information, but here goes. Koi are actually a calming influence on goldfish in the pond, but they will pull-up any pond plants you're thinking of putting in there. I am no expert in the subject but I think it sounds as though you will be overstocking your pond. There are calculations you can do to get the stocking right based on length of fish (head to beginning of tail) and the size of filtering needed to keep everything healthy. I have copied a piece from the internet for you.

Remember even small fish need plenty of room to move and to exercise ... the more room they have then the happier and healthier they will be .. do not overcrowd .. it can be fatal ...​
a). So If the total “fish length” in your pond is more than 8 inches for every 250 gallons then an extra percentage must be allowed. For example if a pond of 500 gallons was capable of containing 16 inches of fish, but if the actual stocking level was 32 inches then you would need to increase the size of your filter by another 50% – this means that both the filter and pump must be able to cope as though the pond has 750 gallons and not the 500 gallons. Another example: You have a pond with say 1000 gallons and it is 2 ft. deep, and in full sun, and you have 64 inches of fish.​
Then apply this formula: 1000 gals+ 25% for Depth =1250gallons, + 25% for Full Sun=1500, + 50% for the 64 inches of fish you have =1,877 gallons.

Remember that your fish will grow. I have a pond of 150 gallons with two Koi that have grown from 4 inches to their present 16 inches and several goldfish. I have increased the filter size twice and still have trouble keeping decent water quality. Think carefully what you want and buy the right stuff at the outset.

I dont think you should put Koi in a pond that small. They need at least a metre depth and you are looking at something like 2x1x0.5m.
Eat and **** - thats all they do. With a pond that small you will struggle to clear it and keep the nitrate levels down and they wont grow. As you live in the middle of nowhere, and presumably have some space, build a pond at least 3x2x1m before you think about adding Koi. Otherwise stick with goldfish and maybe Orf.

If you do go bigger get a chagoi or a saragoi. Friendliest koi you can buy which encourages you other fish to become tame.

Back