• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Laptop advice

OldBlueLady

Junior Blues Coordinator⭐⭐
Guys, as a complete technophobe I am looking to the great and the good on the Zone for some advice please, as I need to catch up with the times and purchase a laptop.

It needs to have compatibility for doing work from home, ability to access the internet and word, and to do zoom and that kind of stuff.

Don't want to spend the earth but also don't want something too cheap and basic.

Any advice welcome please :Thumbs up:

Guys, as a complete technophobe I am looking to the great and the good on the Zone for some advice please, as I need to catch up with the times and purchase a laptop.

It needs to have compatibility for doing work from home, ability to access the internet and word, and to do zoom and that kind of stuff.

Don't want to spend the earth but also don't want something too cheap and basic.

Google "build you own laptop". Then give one or two of them a call. You'll get a much better deal, because you won't be paying for a brand.

Google "build you own laptop". Then give one or two of them a call. You'll get a much better deal, because you won't be paying for a brand.

Probably easy for you, but I'm not sure that's something that would be within my very limited capabilities!

I'm no techie but absolute bottom of the range laptops should (if they have a camera and microphone) be able to do all that in their sleep. Don't worry about it not having enough processing power/state of the art video graphic cards etc. The most important thing for you will be reliability.

ps If you're using it for work, shouldn't work pay/help source one?

Could your work not provide this through their business if it's predominantly for WFH?

If you're getting a laptop predominantly for work, then it's worth getting a business laptop rather than a personal laptop. You'll find that they're more geared to work use, so they're robust, not bloated with stuff, got lots of ports, good battery, and a better screen for work use etc. They might not be as light and good for Netflix and chill.

My previous company was Dell, and my current company is Lenovo, which I like a lot. Their entry level business laptops with SSD and 13" screen are around £500-600 and will easily do what you're after.

Go back to my earlier post though, you should definitely see if your work can sort this out for you. Otherwise you'll also need to have your own Office 365 license.

It's not going to be predominantly for work, it'll mainly be for personal use, I still have the log in link to access our whole work system on my pc, which I'm not replacing, but just want it to have the capability if needed.

We might use it for ifollow and stuff like that if (fingers crossed!) we're away.

My daughter seems to think that you can still purchase office as a one off payment, which isn't a problem.

It's not going to be predominantly for work, it'll mainly be for personal use, I still have the log in link to access our whole work system on my pc, which I'm not replacing, but just want it to have the capability if needed.

We might use it for ifollow and stuff like that if (fingers crossed!) we're away.

My daughter seems to think that you can still purchase office as a one off payment, which isn't a problem.
For my repairs and maintenance I use a company called Computopia, run by a very nice, helpful chap named Iain, sure he'd be willing to advise and may even have a reconditioned one available for you to purchase. The telephone number is 01702 382380, also has his own website.

Get a chrome book. You can install all the apps an android phone can, you can use Zoom etc and you can use open source office apps. They are Linux based so not open to viruses, power up quickly and have a good battery life

Get a chrome book. You can install all the apps an android phone can, you can use Zoom etc and you can use open source office apps. They are Linux based so not open to viruses, power up quickly and have a good battery life

Not true. They are indeed open to viruses in the same way any other connected device is. The difference is that people that create viruses tend to go for maximum effect, and since Windows is so dominant it makes sense for them to concentrate on that.

If, however, someone creates a virus that affects Linux (as well) then your Chromebook is just as likely to be infected.

At least, that is my understanding anyway.

Not true. They are indeed open to viruses in the same way any other connected device is. The difference is that people that create viruses tend to go for maximum effect, and since Windows is so dominant it makes sense for them to concentrate on that.

If, however, someone creates a virus that affects Linux (as well) then your Chromebook is just as likely to be infected.

At least, that is my understanding anyway.

Google really likes to talk about how secure its Chromebooks are, and that’s because they are secure. Chrome OS executes every application in its own sandbox, which keeps programs from making any changes to the rest of your system. Chrome OS is also unable to run .exe files, so most malware can’t be installed on Chromebooks. Because of these security protections, it’s almost impossible to get viruses onto your Chromebook.

That said, it can still be targeted for Phishing etc but Chrome books have their own anti virus and its auto updated

Google really likes to talk about how secure its Chromebooks are, and that’s because they are secure. Chrome OS executes every application in its own sandbox, which keeps programs from making any changes to the rest of your system. Chrome OS is also unable to run .exe files, so most malware can’t be installed on Chromebooks. Because of these security protections, it’s almost impossible to get viruses onto your Chromebook.

That said, it can still be targeted for Phishing etc but Chrome books have their own anti virus and its auto updated

I guess that's my point. If Chromebooks were more prevalent people would spend time looking for loopholes. (If they can hack NASA, and various intelligence agencies then they can find a way round a Chromebook.) Most OS's best security seems to be that they aren't Windows!

Guys, you're all talking about things which mean nothing to me - couldn't even tell you the difference between a chrome book and a laptop!

Do you want a CD drive and headphones/external mic/ sockets?

No idea - do you need any of that for Zoom - everything I've used before (phones and ipads/tablets) seems to have had sufficient stuff inbuilt.

Kay, no-one is thicker than me when it comes to techno stuff (as you know).
I purchased a new laptop late last year and had some real trouble getting one (due to lockdown they had sold out everywhere|).
I went directly to DELL and got mine and have to say am really pleased with it and its soooooo simple to use. I also got a bigger screen which is handy for me
Will send you a message.
Has hubby got a Blue Light Card? - handy if he has because if you order direct from either Dell or Leveno they will give you a good discount. I got mine in the sale and then got another £64 off.

Have a think if you really need Microsoft Office as well. There are many free applications that do everything the MS Office programmes do - and can also open and save in Word format if needed. I use the Google suite, Sheets and Docs instead of Excel and Word. Find them excellent.

Have a think if you really need Microsoft Office as well. There are many free applications that do everything the MS Office programmes do - and can also open and save in Word format if needed. I use the Google suite, Sheets and Docs instead of Excel and Word. Find them excellent.

I guess it's what you're used to - all my paperwork related to the Shrimpers Trust and Junior Blues is in word or excel. I definitely need word if I am going to be doing anything for work.

Libre Office is also pretty good, although I had trouble getting their pivot tables work...

No idea - do you need any of that for Zoom - everything I've used before (phones and ipads/tablets) seems to have had sufficient stuff inbuilt.
An external mic, I think, can be convenient, they're not expensive.
A CD player will [lay and burn CDs - not needed for you, it seems.

Back