• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Laptops: Dell v ASUS

Grayson

Life President⭐
I'm in the market for a new laptop before I go off to uni in a fortnight. My budget is £500, and for that I have found:

ASUS K50AB: http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/ASUS_K50AB_SX029C_Laptop_K50AB-SX029C/version.asp

And:

Dell Studio 15 (second one from left): http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/laptop-studio-1555?c=uk&l=en&s=dhs&cs=ukdhs1&ref=lthp

Both have the same video card and RAM. But the Dell uses an Intel processor, and ASUS uses AMD, plus the Dell has 70gb more hard drive space (although not too relevant for me, as I've an external at 250gb anyway). So really, what it boils down to, is which company has the better build and service?

Thanks.

If I'm right I believe Dell are an absolute bugger to get repaired or find spares for as it doesn't use generic parts rather all internals are made and supplied by Dell. I'm not 100% sure on this though. Someone else may be better informed.

As for the build quality. I would have thought the Dell would gain the most points in this department as they are primarily, or at least used to be, directed mainly at the business end of the market. Although this has changed significantly these last few years.

On the Dell Outlet store, the Dell Studios can be picked up cheaper on there, which may swing it. I had a Dell for 2 years a while ago and had issues with the battery port buggering up (meant it could only be powered on the mains, rubbish), so it's only better value for money (or ASUS being crap) that'd make me use a Dell again.

my dell battery died after about 8 months, and a message came on the screen saying it needed replacing and was specifically excluded from the warranty... never had that before!!

Also went through two batteries.

I think they used to be considered premium, but now are a consumable like any other laptop, and use their own components where possible (only example I've personally come across was printer cartridges which were identical to the samsung it was based on, except for a corner being cut off, and twice the price)!!

You need to balance off likelihood of upgrades being needed against Dell's (usually) competetive pricing.

Back