• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Floval Flyer

Licensed to ill⭐
3 games left... Who would you give a go in the 1st team?

Obvious one is Ted Smith, and maybe Jack Bridge ?

Not really seen the u21 team or other fringe / youth prospects, what do you lot think then?

what about Kyprianou or Matsuzaka?

3 games left... Who would you give a go in the 1st team?

Obvious one is Ted Smith, and maybe Jack Bridge ?

Not really seen the u21 team or other fringe / youth prospects, what do you lot think then?

what about Kyprianou or Matsuzaka?

Don't think anyone* really knows because Brown has been unwilling to even give them 5 minutes as sub. I'd love to see Jack Bridge though. He's apparently been ripping it up for Kevin Maher's Chelmsford.

*other than those who also go to Chelmsford

If Bentley says before the weekend that he isn't going to sign then play Ted for the last 3 games.

I'd like to see what Bridge is all about as well. We have a Chelmsford supporting postie at work and he's raved about him from day one. Reckons he's better than Ricky Holmes at the same age. For what it's worth he's said Bridge has been playing as a winger

I would have personally chucked in Ted Smith & Piotr "whats-his-chops" against both Fleetwood & Oldham, (knowing the play off's were out of reach prior to those games). More so, especially in hindsight.

However, for the next remaining 2 out of the 3 games against Wigan & Bradford, I think we should play our strongest side possible against tough opposition to gain a point or 2 if we are lucky, but we should definately give the other loan'ees & youth team a start or at least 30 minutes pitch time against Bury on the last game of the season.

Now the play-offs are gone there is no benefit whatsoever to playing Loza, McQueen, Kamara or Malarcyzk (what a pointless signing that was!). If I am correct, Barnett is the only one we have any potential (or, in some cases, any interest) in signing. Personally, I would love to see Bridge given a run out because I have heard so many positives about him and would like to see what he is about. My only comment would be that with Bridge (and Williams and Kyrianou), we have agreed to loan these players to other clubs until the end of the season and I feel, as a club, we should honour that commitment. If Mooney, Hunt, Wordsworth, Weston are not fit I would also give spots on the bench to Nico Cotton, Dan Matuzaka, Joe Bedford, Dan Walker, Harry Phillips, etc. Am not suggesting that these guys should be pitched into the starting line-up but the experience of being in the 1st team squad (plus, maybe, the opportunity to get 10-15 minutes at the end of a game) would benefit them massively - and next year, I am expecting much more focus to be on the U21 side.

However, for the next remaining 2 out of the 3 games against Wigan & Bradford, I think we should play our strongest side possible against tough opposition to gain a point or 2 if we are lucky, but we should definately give the other loan'ees & youth team a start or at least 30 minutes pitch time against Bury on the last game of the season.

This is the problem now. I don't think it would do any of the young players much good if they get chucked in now and we get turned over. I agree he should of gave some a chance the last 3 games. No point playing the loan players now. Even Barnett who's work rate has been terrible recently.

If Bentley says before the weekend that he isn't going to sign then play Ted for the last 3 games.

I'd like to see what Bridge is all about as well. We have a Chelmsford supporting postie at work and he's raved about him from day one. Reckons he's better than Ricky Holmes at the same age. For what it's worth he's said Bridge has been playing as a winger
Agree with this! If Dan doesn't sign we need to look to next season and give Ted a taste of what's to come!
Don't think it'll make too much difference in Dan's value,and show the club is bigger than any one player.
Never seen Bridge but heard good things.

Get bridge playing in midfield with ryan Leonard as this could be the CM pairing next season if reports from Chelmsford are to be trusted.
Also get smith in goal.....All experience is vital.

Do we really want to subject Ted to an in-form Wigan, at their place, considering we are struggling to stop teams scoring ?

No better time for Ted to gain such experience, he'll have to face up to it one day. I'd try Jack for say 60 minutes, although he's done exceptionally well at City there is a bit of gap in class (and pace of game) between the FL1 and Van South.

Jack Bridge looks the best player on the pitch every time he plays for Chelmsford, would like to see him recalled as both Southend and Chelmsford have nothing to play for now. Play him wide like he has been playing for Chelmsford, he's high on confidence at the moment.

Little snippet from Kev:

Bridge is highly rated by Southend boss Phil Brown and when asked whether the young player might now get a chance back at his parent club after his fine displays, Maher said: "I can't affect whether Jack plays at Southend, but since he's been here with me he's been brilliant. I know what he's like of course, being at Southend, and I think it'll do him the world of good coming out here to play men's football.

I'm the U21 manager there and it does players no harm to play the men's game. To get into that side of things and getting three points on a Saturday is a big thing. Hopefully he'll take that back to Southend with him."

I'd be interested to know what contracts Jack Bridge and Ted Smith on, we seriously need to learn from the Bentley and Payne fiascos, wer're good at nurturing talent, but cr@p at offering longer term contracts.

anyone watch the U21s or U18s? Who should we expect to see coming through... Regards to the 1st team I can't see why some of the young players from our talent cannot be given pitch time in the seniors, it seems to happen in the Premiership - why not league 1

I'd be interested to know what contracts Jack Bridge and Ted Smith on, we seriously need to learn from the Bentley and Payne fiascos, wer're good at nurturing talent, but cr@p at offering longer term contracts.

anyone watch the U21s or U18s? Who should we expect to see coming through... Regards to the 1st team I can't see why some of the young players from our talent cannot be given pitch time in the seniors, it seems to happen in the Premiership - why not league 1

Ted Smith signed new 3-year deal earlier this season
Jack Bridge - not sure...thought there was an article in Echo in last few weeks that he was being offered "new contract" though.

Have been to see U18 a few times this season and there is definitely some promise there. Am expecting the U21 team to get a lot more focus this season and it gives these lads 2-3 years to kick on (whereas in previous years, once they hit 18 they were either promoted to 1st team squad or released!). Will definitely be worth watching how the U21 team progresses this season!

Back