• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

League 2 Team of The Year

OllieSteph44

Striker
The EFL and WhoScored.com have both published their teams of the year for 2020/21.

Neither team included a single player under the age of 23.

The EFL teams average age was 28.4 years old. The ages of players were as follows :-

Under 20 - 0 players
21-24 - 1 players
25-29 - 6 players
Over 30 - 4 players

The Whoescored.com teams average age was 27.8 years old. The ages of players were as follows :-

Under 20 - 0
21-24 - 2 players
25-29 - 6 players
Over 30 - 3 players

I know players generally wouldn’t expect to peak until late 20s so this proves that but it also goes to show the ignorance of fans who blame or slag off young players as not good enough or non league standard, when they are getting games under their belts as teenagers at our club.

Young players need support and nurture and they will be inconsistent and unable to endure the physical rigours of league 1/2 on a weekly basis. It’s why scouts and staff will often look at their best performances not their worst ones. Because as they age it’s the things they can do or have potential to do that begin to happen more often.

At Southend we’ve been unfortunate to have to use so many young players maybe before they were ready, but we have also been lucky to have been able to see them before they peaked or developed and been a club that’s given them opportunity.

Just needs to be considered before we crucify 18/19/20/21 year olds who are still learning and developing and hope that we can assist not hinder their progress.

Worth considering that some players had terrible abuse here even though it was widely known to be the worst time in the clubs history and they have gone on “in spite” of the environment at Southend united not because of it....

We are too quick to write off or criticise sometimes and the fact that two teams of the year were picked and not a single u23 was in either speaks volumes.

Attachments

• 98B8737B-BCAD-48D0-93C0-F7C1BEAA8E40.jpeg
    98B8737B-BCAD-48D0-93C0-F7C1BEAA8E40.jpeg
    267.2 KB · Views: 196
  • B86FE860-A5A3-4D82-863C-B059FD02AF3E.jpeg
    B86FE860-A5A3-4D82-863C-B059FD02AF3E.jpeg
    193.6 KB · Views: 194
The EFL and WhoScored.com have both published their teams of the year for 2020/21.

Neither team included a single player under the age of 23.

The EFL teams average age was 28.4 years old. The ages of players were as follows :-

Under 20 - 0 players
21-24 - 1 players
25-29 - 6 players
Over 30 - 4 players

The Whoescored.com teams average age was 27.8 years old. The ages of players were as follows :-

Under 20 - 0
21-24 - 2 players
25-29 - 6 players
Over 30 - 3 players

I know players generally wouldn’t expect to peak until late 20s so this proves that but it also goes to show the ignorance of fans who blame or slag off young players as not good enough or non league standard, when they are getting games under their belts as teenagers at our club.

Young players need support and nurture and they will be inconsistent and unable to endure the physical rigours of league 1/2 on a weekly basis. It’s why scouts and staff will often look at their best performances not their worst ones. Because as they age it’s the things they can do or have potential to do that begin to happen more often.

At Southend we’ve been unfortunate to have to use so many young players maybe before they were ready, but we have also been lucky to have been able to see them before they peaked or developed and been a club that’s given them opportunity.

Just needs to be considered before we crucify 18/19/20/21 year olds who are still learning and developing and hope that we can assist not hinder their progress.

Worth considering that some players had terrible abuse here even though it was widely known to be the worst time in the clubs history and they have gone on “in spite” of the environment at Southend united not because of it....

We are too quick to write off or criticise sometimes and the fact that two teams of the year were picked and not a single u23 was in either speaks volumes.

Alternatively you could argue that Academies are turning out footballers who are not fit for the purpose of playing League 2 football. If you’ve not made it as first team regular at the age of 20/21 you’re not going to make it. What is happening is, as the standard drops every season, those players who have managed to stay fit enough into their late 20s early or even late 30s in Hoolahan‘s case have now become the stars.

Hoolahan has only started 28 games, and James Vaughan 26 games though so the “teams of the years“ need a few extras.

Secondly football has become more physical and athletic and less skilful. Bigger, taller players on the same size pitch.

Sadly there is hardly a young player who has caught my eye for any club this season. Just look at the list of leading scorers.

Out of the top 20 in League 2 only Mendes-Gomes, Cole, Watters, Adebayo and Jay were under 25 at the start of the season and two of those were sold to Championship clubs in January.

The gulf between the top two divisions and League 1 and 2 widens every year. Sadly League 1 and 2 get closer to non league football.

Alternatively you could argue that Academies are turning out footballers who are not fit for the purpose of playing League 2 football

That makes no sense as all those players that are in the “teams of the year” were in academies at one point and in 3/5/7 years time there’ll be a bunch of 27 year old that were 19/20/21 now. I’m sure you’ll argue that premier league academies are producing tippy tappy non contact technically good players that aren’t fit for the hurly burly of league 2. I’d say that the players not making it at premier league academies are dropping into league 2 and just taking some time to adjust and learn the game. Which is why they’re 24/25 or older before “we” notice them or appreciate them as any good. My bet is pretty much all of the players standing out in league 1/2 have been at some decent academies and are technically the better players.

If you’ve not made it as first team regular at the age of 20/21 you’re not going to make it.

Rubbish. I’m sorry but that’s complete rubbish. You think it’s a one size fits all? The average age of a premier league debut is 23. Much the same as a championship debut. So for every Phil Foden there’s a debut at 26.....

Most 20 year olds are far from regulars in any of the divisions. The reason being is players at that age are inconsistent and cannot maintain levels week in and week out of 46 games.

Some players develop early and some late which is why the fa extended the u21s to being u23s. If you can’t understand the early and late development whether it’s physical or technical or maybe just down to luck or opportunity, then you can’t have any experience of youth development at elite levels. Some players who will star in league 1 teams may not even get released from a Cat 1 academy until 22, then spend 2 years trying to get league experience or even drop into non league before becoming a regular in the EFL at 24/25.

What is happening is, as the standard drops every season, those players who have managed to stay fit enough into their late 20s early or even late 30s in Hoolahan‘s case have now become the stars.

It’s nothing to do with the standard dropping so the players who stay fit stand out. It’s because the natural process of elite sport is the maturation of the skills required to perform improve with experience. The reason players ‘peak’ at 28/29 is the fine balance between becoming proficient technically and tactically and still having the peak physical condition before the natural decline begins. Of course there are player who prolong their physical condition longer and there are some who’s technical brilliance allows less physical prowess to be needed ie a player who doesn’t rely on speed will find his tech all ability prolongs his career longer than someone not technically great but was blisteringly quick at 24.

Secondly football has become more physical and athletic and less skilful. Bigger, taller players on the same size pitch.

Yes players are athletically at the best they’ve ever been now with sports science and dietary information the way it is. But they are also more skilful than ever before. If you saw the level of ability in even the worst academies you’d know that technically footballers are at a level now, never seen before. The physicality and athleticism makes the standard higher than ever not lower.

Sadly there is hardly a young player who has caught my eye for any club this season. Just look at the list of leading scorers.

Out of the top 20 in League 2 only Mendes-Gomes, Cole, Watters, Adebayo and Jay were under 25 at the start of the season and two of those were sold to Championship clubs in January.

Yes I agree that most young players with talent that have broken into EFL teams are getting picked up by championship and premier league clubs. Of course this explains a little towards why the teams of the year are older. But you’ve missed my point massively which wasn’t about there being no good young players, but about the fact that most players aren’t hitting high levels until mid twenties or older while we have wasted time writing off as not good enough and criticising teenagers!!!!

The gulf between the top two divisions and League 1 and 2 widens every year. Sadly League 1 and 2 get closer to non league football.

League 2 yes. I’ve watched a lot of league 1 football this year and the gulf from that to league 2 is huge however there are some very good sides that would not disgrace the championship.

Overall, as I say, you’ve missed my point. It wasn’t to discuss the lack of quality in young players it was to point out some fans may do well to bare in mind their age and realise these are just kids still learning and it’s clear from the stand out performers that it’s not until you’re over 24 that you can really judge where their level is.

Alternatively you could argue that Academies are turning out footballers who are not fit for the purpose of playing League 2 football. If you’ve not made it as first team regular at the age of 20/21 you’re not going to make it. What is happening is, as the standard drops every season, those players who have managed to stay fit enough into their late 20s early or even late 30s in Hoolahan‘s case have now become the stars.

Hoolahan has only started 28 games, and James Vaughan 26 games though so the “teams of the years“ need a few extras.

.......you’re asking for trouble.........

.......you’re asking for trouble.........

Worst thing that has happened to football - Academies and under 23 teams - what was wrong with tennis balls in the street, jumpers for goal posts and boots with metal toe caps and studs that you nailed in. If you could control a ball then you could play football.

Can't say I'm surprised that the team of the year is on the older side. I tend to find with these sorts of awards they often are based on reputation. This can lead to a time lag between performance and recognition whereby a player will have often peaked by the time their efforts are recognised. There's also a substantial element of confirmation bias.

The WhoScored.com one is based on a weekly ratings system. Good or bad it is at least consistent with a points system for every action undertaken during the game.

Worst thing that has happened to football - Academies and under 23 teams - what was wrong with tennis balls in the street, jumpers for goal posts and boots with metal toe caps and studs that you nailed in. If you could control a ball then you could play football.

I won’t bite on that, as it can only have been your intention ?

Can't say I'm surprised that the team of the year is on the older side. I tend to find with these sorts of awards they often are based on reputation. This can lead to a time lag between performance and recognition whereby a player will have often peaked by the time their efforts are recognised. There's also a substantial element of confirmation bias.

PFA team of the year voted by the players themselves usually is realistic.

Back