• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Who would you keep

• Total voters

DTS

The Business
We seem to now have three players that can pass themselves off as left backs (four with Barker but clearly he is going to be staying thank god).

I am amazed by the amount of people that seem to want Prosser to get a new deal. For me he is woeful. His only asset is his height. I think he is one of the worst technical footballers I have ever seen.

Herd is good going forward but a poor defender and I think its right he goes now. Maybe will suit him as well as it suits us.

Gilbert for me again is a poor poor defender and offers little going forward.

Personally I would like Barker to go to left back and us to bring in a commading centre back in the summer. I would let all three left backs go.

Thoughts

PLEASE NOTE THIS IS A MULTIPLE VOTE POLL IF YOU WANT IT TO BE...

Prosser wasn't actually signed as a left back to be fair, and I think he is more than adequate cover for both left and centre back. Gilbert we've been told, has been carrying an injury most of the season. More than happy for both to stay.

Prosser wasn't actually signed as a left back to be fair, and I think he is more than adequate cover for both left and centre back. Gilbert we've been told, has been carrying an injury most of the season. More than happy for both to stay.

Spot on OBL agree with that, sadly Herdy isn't up to the physical side of League Two and apart from his long throw that has worked twice in my memory doesn't bring much to the side and is certainly off in the next couple of weeks.

Gilbert is on a 2 year deal so probably going nowhere. I have been disappointed with him, but that is probably because he came with high expectations as Northampton's player of the season, but I would not go as far as calling him a "poor poor defender." He has certainly looked more solid than Herd who unfortunately has not developed on his original potential and I agree it is time for him to move on.

With regards Prosser it depends on his salary. He would not be my first choice as left or centre back but with limited resources it is important that our squad players can cover more than one position. He may not be the most technically gifted but he has not let us down in the last few games at left back.

I am a big fan of Barker and agree with the vote of him being player of the season, which he achieved as a centre back. I would be reluctant to overly tinker with the defence and move him from a position he is playing well in especially as I think he now lacks the pace for left back

I'd keep Gilbert and none of the others. He hasn't been great this season but that seems at least partly down to injuries. Sturrock rates him highly and I trust his judgement. Even if Prosser is cheap, just find him a liability, both at left back and centre back. Going forward he is so limited (can only hoof it with his left) that him at full back makes us so much worse going forward. Cover can be provided by Nesbitt and Barker.

Would have loved Herd to make it, but not going to happen. Out of interest, I think that the only time we ever scored directly from one of his long throws was the equaliser at Stamford Bridge. Anyone remember another one?

I'd probably get rid of Gilbert, keep Prosser and Herd. But Prosser needs to improve, and Herd needs more of a chance.
He's had chances and been found wanting. Now played under two managers here neither of whom seem to rate him. At his age there are progressions he should have made, but hasn't. Can't help but think, as already mentioned, that a spell on loan would have done been of benefit. Feel very sorry for him, but as things stand, he simply isn't of the standard required.

He's had chances and been found wanting. Now played under two managers here neither of whom seem to rate him. At his age there are progressions he should have made, but hasn't. Can't help but think, as already mentioned, that a spell on loan would have done been of benefit. Feel very sorry for him, but as things stand, he simply isn't of the standard required.

people have short memories dont they, what about when we was in league 1 and he put in half a dozen great performances in and everyone was saying what a find he is and how good he will be, its only the last two managers that would rather have players in defence with a bit of experience and not to much youth in one go, plenty of other managers have had a look at him in the past and he will not have a problem getting another team.

people have short memories dont they, what about when we was in league 1 and he put in half a dozen great performances in and everyone was saying what a find he is and how good he will be, its only the last two managers that would rather have players in defence with a bit of experience and not to much youth in one go, plenty of other managers have had a look at him in the past and he will not have a problem getting another team.
As far as I'm concerned, he put in a couple of good performances, which is clearly not enough. I've always been reserved in my judgement on him being a youth team product but I've never said how good he was. And as for what you're saying about age, isn't Prosser a similar age?

i said after his 2nd game for us what a good player he was is and is going to be, if he is let go this season we will lose out on some cash further down the line and i also said to mr sturrock to stick with bilel at th Q+A evening a few months back when everyone else was slagging him off and wanted him out the side, poor old bilel being out of the side for certain periods either being banned or injured has cost us a place in the play-offs to be honest. as for prosser i think he will get better with games its just a matter of being a centre back in a left back position, sure he can do it tho.

We seem to now have three players that can pass themselves off as left backs (four with Barker but clearly he is going to be staying thank god).

I am amazed by the amount of people that seem to want Prosser to get a new deal. For me he is woeful. His only asset is his height. I think he is one of the worst technical footballers I have ever seen.

Herd is good going forward but a poor defender and I think its right he goes now. Maybe will suit him as well as it suits us.

Gilbert for me again is a poor poor defender and offers little going forward.

Personally I would like Barker to go to left back and us to bring in a commading centre back in the summer. I would let all three left backs go.

Thoughts
PLEASE NOTE THIS IS A MULTIPLE VOTE POLL IF YOU WANT IT TO BE...
Interesting feed. Sometimes thats why with a club in financial problems, its better the devil you know.
Its been clear since Prosser joined you have never been his biggest fan, and with football being about opinions, we have to respect yours.
Although with some 13,000 posts i would have thought you would offer more constructive things to say rather than cheap shots.
I believe Gilbert will get the shirt next year and if Prosser does get the nod for next year, he will be back up for both Gilbert and Barker being left footed.

Interesting feed. Sometimes thats why with a club in financial problems, its better the devil you know.
Its been clear since Prosser joined you have never been his biggest fan, and with football being about opinions, we have to respect yours.
Although with some 13,000 posts i would have thought you would offer more constructive things to say rather than cheap shots.
I believe Gilbert will get the shirt next year and if Prosser does get the nod for next year, he will be back up for both Gilbert and Barker being left footed.

Not sure what you class as a cheap shot. All the comments I made I believe to be true. Prosser is a terrible passer of the ball I don't think anyone in there right mind would say otherwise. Gilbert gets skinned time and time again by anyone with pace or skill and if I could be bothered I could name a few games where he was woeful such as Morecombe home or Northampton away where his inabilty to stop crosses cost us the points.

I cannot see the point in settling for players that aren't up to scratch and all three above for my mind are bit fit for purpose. That said 60% of voters like Gilbert so what do I know.

I think Herd needs to move to further his career. Neither Tilly or Sturrock have shown immense faith in him so for his own benefit he should move. Maybe in a couple of years he'll look back and think it was the best thing he did. Moving would give him a fresh start and he'd be able to possibly focus more. Though his wages will probably be the cheapest of the three choices i still think he'll be the one to go.

I dont really rate Gilbert but as he's apparently never been 100% and he's contracted he will stay. Prosser offers cover for CB anf LB positions so will also stay. I dont think he's the best LB in the world though and needs to work hard over the summer to improve. I also do not think that he's been the worst LB in the world either.

depends on how much they are being paid I feel, if we can keep Herd and Prosser on cheap wages then I feel they are decent cover, Herd anywhere on the left, and Prosser at left and centre back.

Gilbert has looked a bit suspect at times, but last few times I have seen him live, he has had good games, I voted to keep him, but if we want to push for promotion next season maybe this is one of the positions we most need to improve.

I'd probably get rid of Gilbert, keep Prosser and Herd. But Prosser needs to improve, and Herd needs more of a chance.

Played 35 league games. How much more of a chance would do you want to give him?

Keep Prosser as cover for LB and CB depending on what happens with Coughlan getting a new deal or not.

I was disappointed with Gilbert but since finding out he's been playing with a few injuries all season I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and reserve judgement until next season.

As ,according to Tara, we have been losing up to £100,000 per month I am sure everything next season will be cut to the bone.
Players whose contracts are up and he wants to keep will probably be offered much lower wages and higher wage earners will be replaced by cheaper options.
I think we will have trouble replacing players and will end up using our youth to make up the numbers.

Back