• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Lennox Lewis

Didnt thank the British public, fans or media. He can f**k off back to Jamaica or Canada for all i care!

Kev

biggrin.gif
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (new bloke @ Feb. 06 2004,13:51)]Big lump of lard,,,,,,,, I could of tw*ted him anyday
wink.gif
And then run backwards up a hill and he'd never catch you....

One day Leeboy when we are top of Div 1 on a Sunday and have just won the treble you will look back and say,,,,,,,, good old Uncle he knew what he was doing in those training sessions
wink.gif
but if we finish bottom in the first year it's all down to* ORM*
wow.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (new bloke @ Feb. 06 2004,14:34)]One day Leeboy when we are top of Div 1 on a Sunday and have just won the treble you will look back and say,,,,,,,, good old Uncle he knew what he was doing in those training sessions
wink.gif
but if we finish bottom in the first year it's all down to* ORM*  
wow.gif
How long do you plan to live for?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The General @ Feb. 06 2004,13:08)]Didnt thank the British public, fans or media.

Kev

biggrin.gif
tounge.gif
Thats cos we never thanked him. He was a brilliant boxer and a brilliant guy,who never really won the hearts of British people. One of Britains best boxers for a while.

I was lucky enough to see a Lewis title defence in Las Vegas back in 2000 against maori David Tua, who was the number one contender at the time. Small, but powerful and slippery. chin of granite and never been down. Too awkward for Lewis thought many cynical locals.

On the night, Mandalay Bay was heaving with New Zealanders, some Americans rooting for Tua with just a handful of English waving the flag for us. the atmosphere was electric as they came out, most people genuinely believing that an upset was on.

What followed was a perfect demonstration of how to silence a baying crowd. Lennox Lewis gave the most wonderful display of pure boxing I have seen. Not instinctive fighting, not power knockout stuff, but just pure boxing. Jab, move, jab, move, jab, right to the body, jab, move, jab, left right to the head, move. It was a joy to watch.

During the 9th round, by which time Lewis had long since won the fight, he gave the durable Tua a left hook to the ribs and right uppercut to the chin.

As the maori backed off, dazed once more, and the chants of "England! England! England!" and "Leeeeeeewis!" reverberated around the venue, Lennox grinned to the small English contingent and gave us a look as if to say "What is this guy doing in here with me?"

It was an education to see one of the great heavyweight boxers (as opposed to fighters) giving such an exhibition. His trainer, the legendary Manny Steward, had a smile bigger than the Las veags Strip as he sat back and enjoyed this demonstation of boxing craft with us.

After the no-contest, Lennox gave an interview to HBO right in front of us. He said, clearly grinning at us "That's boxingology mate." It sure was, the sweet science. he sort of let his eloquence slip slightly, though, when the then said "He (Tua) needed to bring more to the ring than a right hook and a silly haircut!"
smile.gif

It should be noted that Lennox was born in Newham, grew up in London until he was a teenager when his Mum took him to Canada and then came back at the earliest opportunity after turning pro. Why did he compete for Canada at the Olympics? Because the ABA refused to select him, even though by birthright he was eligible.

Whilst backin this country, he has put a significant proportion of his money earned into a centre where some of the poorer people in East London can go in, take a free course or use the free leisure facilities on offer.

I've never once heard him swear or lose his temper, seldom bad mouthed an opponent and kept a dignified distance from the leech that is Don King. He kept his head down and believed in his ability straight after shock defeats and when the likes of Ridd**k Bowe, Evander Holyfield and Mike Tyson blatantly avoided him during his and their (bar the latter's) prime.

On top of that, he has kept his private life just that. his absence from the front pages of the tabloids has been conspicuous for such a successful and well known sportsman and his obvious love for his mother, to me, is charming.

Lennox Lewis has been a great sporting ambassador for Britain and a role model for any aspiring athlete in any sport, when either playing the sport or away from it. I wish him well in whatever he does in future and hope history looks upon him as one of the greatest sportsmen Britain has ever produced.

If only I could be God for a day!

My time-machine would go like this.........

"Ladies and Gentlemen...in the blue corner Lennox Lewis!
In the red corner Muhummad Ali!" (sp?)..you get the idea.

Just imagine those two at their peak - would Ali out-psyche Lewis? I rather think he would.

The decision?

Ali 117-114.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (RobM. @ Feb. 07 2004,21:17)]If only I could be God for a day!

"Ladies and Gentlemen...in the blue corner  Lennox Lewis!
In the red corner Muhummad Ali!"  (sp?)..you get the idea.

Just imagine those two at their peak - would Ali out-psyche Lewis? I rather think he would.

The decision?

Ali 117-114.
Ali would knock Lewis out in the fifth. Lewis was never really properly tested...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ Feb. 09 2004,12:48)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (RobM. @ Feb. 07 2004,21:17)]If only I could be God for a day!

"Ladies and Gentlemen...in the blue corner  Lennox Lewis!
In the red corner Muhummad Ali!"  (sp?)..you get the idea.

The decision?

Ali 117-114.
Ali would knock Lewis out in the fifth. Lewis was never really properly tested...
That's right.

You have never seen anyone leg it across a car park so quickly when I offered him out down my local.

Mug.

I feel somewhat sorry for Lewis.

He bows out undisputed heavyweight champion, having dominated the heavyweight arena for years, yet the reaction and praise to an outstanding career is somewhat muted.

I think the cause for this is because he's not American, he's not a Don King fighter and he's not an arrogant loud mouth. Add into that the fact that the British public never really accepted him as British and he's a boxer without the support worthy of his immense talents.

I'm too young to have seen Ali fight so although I'm fully aware of his reputation of being the greatest, I've never really had the chance to see if his boxing talents were half as good as his unbelievable talent for self-promotion.
A fantasy boxing match between the two of them in their primes would be the ideal way to weigh up their standings in history.

Ali was beatable, although I think his defeats all came after he had passed his prime. Lewis was also beatable, although his defeats seem to come about because of complacency, and were always avenged, moreover he would be fully focused v Ali. The winner would then fight Rocky Marciano and try and end his unbeaten status.

Lewis would have a massive size advantage and it would be fascinating to see if Ali was as quick as his reputation, and whether he could get past that Lewis' jab. Otherwise I could see Lewis using his reach advantage to dominate from distance. Oh well, we'll probably get Sprott v Williams IV instead.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Yorkshire Blue @ Feb. 09 2004,16:37)]I feel somewhat sorry for Lewis.
I do as well.

As he cries himself to sleep each night thinking about how hard done by he has been I hope he can find some small crumb of comfort in the fact that he has tens of millions of pounds in the bank.

The fact that Frank Bruno has gone mental also means that there would probably be a nice little gig in panto with cannon and ball/little and large/the chuckle brothers as well should he feel that way inclined.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mad Cyril @ Feb. 09 2004,17:52)]As he cries himself to sleep each night thinking about how hard done by he has been I hope he can find some small crumb of comfort in the fact that he  has tens of millions of pounds in the bank.
Money can't buy happiness.

I'm sure Lennox would happily trade £10m for being regarded as the best of all time.

Its my theory that if you are poor at least you can hope of being rich and therefore being able to buy happiness, but if you are rich you realise that money doesn't buy happiness, and that makes you miserable.

I am however willing to risk misery by putting this to the test. Any willing sponsors of this worthwhile experiment please PM me.

Back