• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

tommy tucker

Manager
New bid for Ryan Leonard

I see Chris Philips has sais a new bid has come in from Sheffield united .He is chasing this story up .Should he go or should he stay and go for free in the summer ???

You’ve got it all wrong Sheffield he does nothing in the midfield he’s rubbish, he’s injured, he’s overrated, now on your way, bye bye, leave us alone nothing to see here

That's out of the blue. Must be keen if they're making a bid before the window's even opened.

Not really , proactive really .. get a deal agreed, then on the 1st it happens and he's available straight away ..

A real tough one for Ron, regardless what people think ( please let's not make this a PB thread ) we are still in the hunt for a play off place ... we have full squad returning ... so, do you keep and gamble ...

The next few games I think will shape this .. we win and we stay in the hunt .. he stays.., wenlose / draw and fall away, then surely you sell and cash in ...

I see Chris Philips has sais a new bid has come in from Sheffield united .He is chasing this story up .Should he go or should he stay and go for free in the summer ???

Yes, I'd let Chris Phillips go in the summer! :winking:

Even if we did get promoted he would go in the summer. So if were up to me I would cash in now.

The fact that nothing was certain until the end of August meant PB couldn't be sure who to sign even after the season had started. Perhaps £800,000 in July would have been the better option.

It is a tricky one. where's the old crystal ball when you need it. If we knew we weren't at least going to make the playoffs it would be silly not to take the (I'm guessing) £500k / £750k to put towards next years squad. If we made the play-off final but didn't go up, he'd leave on a free but we'd probably still make most of that money in P/O gate receipts & TV money. If we won via the playoffs, he'd probably still leave but we'd still have made the money, plus we'd be in the richer league above.

In other words, I havent got a clue what we should do.

The fact Coutts got injured is probably a big factor of them coming back in. I wonder how much they bid as I can't really see the point in bidding now when he's a free agent in 6 months time

The fact Coutts got injured is probably a big factor of them coming back in. I wonder how much they bid as I can't really see the point in bidding now when he's a free agent in 6 months time

1. You ensure you get him. He won't be short of offers over the summer.
2. It gives him 7 months to settle in before next season so you can hit the ground running in August.

It is a tricky one. where's the old crystal ball when you need it. If we knew we weren't at least going to make the playoffs it would be silly not to take the (I'm guessing) £500k / £750k to put towards next years squad. If we made the play-off final but didn't go up, he'd leave on a free but we'd probably still make most of that money in P/O gate receipts & TV money. If we won via the playoffs, he'd probably still leave but we'd still have made the money, plus we'd be in the richer league above.

In other words, I havent got a clue what we should do.

It really depends on the amount, and who we could get in as a replacement...

Even if we did get promoted he would go in the summer. So if were up to me I would cash in now.

The fact that nothing was certain until the end of August meant PB couldn't be sure who to sign even after the season had started. Perhaps £800,000 in July would have been the better option.

But the point surely is, we ONLY have a chance with him in the team of promotion. That's why he's worth keeping hold of. The return for promotion would outweigh the money we would get from selling him. I've already accepted deep down that he is off at the end of the season regardless and good luck to him .. but I do understand the dilemma for the Club.

Yep, their season is starting to tail a bit, so he's someone they need now.

Think we might be able to name our price a bit, on this one.

Personally, I'd take the money now.

But the point surely is, we ONLY have a chance with him in the team of promotion. That's why he's worth keeping hold of. The return for promotion would outweigh the money we would get from selling him. I've already accepted deep down that he is off at the end of the season regardless and good luck to him .. but I do understand the dilemma for the Club.

We won't get promoted now this year, with or without Lenny. I'd cash in on him in January and start looking for a replacement early, rather than Mid July

1. You ensure you get him. He won't be short of offers over the summer.
2. It gives him 7 months to settle in before next season so you can hit the ground running in August.

Plus, if a club isn't paying a fee for a player they tend to end up paying a far more significant signing-on fee (again, to ensure they get him over rival bidders). Sheffield United probably wouldn't up paying that much more net by landing him this January.

Whether or not we entertain bids for Leonard this January hinges entirely on what kind of position we find ourselves in by then. If we have a difficult December and our play-off tilt is on the rocks then it may be best for us to cash in and identify a potential replacement now rather than in the summer.

What DWB & ESB said.

Assuming it's a half decent amount, I also think we should take the money and run. Even without him in January, we still have a strong enough side to avoid relegation, and depending on who and if we bring in anyone else in the January transfer window as a replacement, we could still push for a play off place. I guess December's pre-christmas results will make Ron's mind up.

Sheffield U aren't thinking about next season. They want him now to try and make the PL. It won't matter to them if he ends up on loan like JP next season. They want that £200m secured by May.

Back