• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Entertaining amount of half-truths on this thread.

I've not heard that we're after Timlin. Doubt it's true, as we're well-stocked in central midfield unless someone else is leaving (which again, I haven't heard).

Last season we paid some insane wages - over 10k to Henderson, Plasmati and Dossena; 7.5k to McAnuff and Simpson. Henderson, McAnuff and Simpson's wages have been halved upon relegation, the two Italians released. Still a horrendous amount of course, but it's all been covered by Becchetti. We've not broken the wage cap because FB hasn't given the money in the form of loans (I.e. like when Demim at Bournemouth bought a brick for a million large). The transfer embargo was because we failed to file our accounts on time (now sorted).

That's not to say that our wage bill wasn't insane, nor our administration incompetent. The guy is an absolute idiot, as is the CEO. But we're not actually in any financial trouble as long as he stays, and - contrary to what Murky has said - there are no debts to service. We are cutting our wage bill back dramatically, though, as the signings we've made so far demonstrate. Bearing that in mind, I doubt Timlin would have been offered a 'double your money' deal, should he have been offered a deal (which I don't believe he has).

Entertaining amount of half-truths on this thread.

I've not heard that we're after Timlin. Doubt it's true, as we're well-stocked in central midfield unless someone else is leaving (which again, I haven't heard).

Last season we paid some insane wages - over 10k to Henderson, Plasmati and Dossena; 7.5k to McAnuff and Simpson. Henderson, McAnuff and Simpson's wages have been halved upon relegation, the two Italians released. Still a horrendous amount of course, but it's all been covered by Becchetti. We've not broken the wage cap because FB hasn't given the money in the form of loans (I.e. like when Demim at Bournemouth bought a brick for a million large). The transfer embargo was because we failed to file our accounts on time (now sorted).

That's not to say that our wage bill wasn't insane, nor our administration incompetent. The guy is an absolute idiot, as is the CEO. But we're not actually in any financial trouble as long as he stays, and - contrary to what Murky has said - there are no debts to service. We are cutting our wage bill back dramatically, though, as the signings we've made so far demonstrate. Bearing that in mind, I doubt Timlin would have been offered a 'double your money' deal, should he have been offered a deal (which I don't believe he has).

Mr Stokes -- what are your feelings about Mooney ? do you rate him ??? If we had to sign an Orient striker from last season i would have been very happy to take Dagnall , but he chased the Indian Rupiah. Mooney i just have never thought was good enough.... but ive only seen him 6 or 7 times ... what do you reckon about him ?

Mr Stokes -- what are your feelings about Mooney ? do you rate him ??? If we had to sign an Orient striker from last season i would have been very happy to take Dagnall , but he chased the Indian Rupiah. Mooney i just have never thought was good enough.... but ive only seen him 6 or 7 times ... what do you reckon about him ?

Can't stand him. Lazy, weak, slow, appalling in the air and needs twelve chances to score a goal if his confidence is low. His 'outstanding' form of a couple of years ago was built entirely on the shoulders of Super Kev, who did all his running for him, won every hoof for him, did all the hold up play for him and then laid it off for him to wander into the box and tap home from three yards.

Look, I'm not one of these idiots who thinks EFFORT and PASSION are the be-all and end-all of a footballer (I loved Adam Boyd for a start) and I thought Chris Dagnall - who had both of those qualities in abundance - was a headless chicken. Mooney has his attributes: he's great if you play the ball into his feet in a bit of space where he can bring the midfield into play. He'll also score some great goals if his confidence is up. But if he's low on confidence, he doesn't have a decent strike partner who'll do everything for him, or there isn't much pace in the team to create the space he needs, he's an absolute passenger. When he pretends to be fouled rather than bothering to challenge for an aerial duel for the 50th time in a match, you'll know what I mean.

We didn't offer him a new contract until Dagnall went to India, but I believe we have done so now. Think it's only a year at a reduced salary, so both you and the Ewes should be in pole position to sign him as you're both offering two years.

Can't stand him. Lazy, weak, slow, appalling in the air and needs twelve chances to score a goal if his confidence is low. His 'outstanding' form of a couple of years ago was built entirely on the shoulders of Super Kev, who did all his running for him, won every hoof for him, did all the hold up play for him and then laid it off for him to wander into the box and tap home from three yards.

Look, I'm not one of these idiots who thinks EFFORT and PASSION are the be-all and end-all of a footballer (I loved Adam Boyd for a start) and I thought Chris Dagnall - who had both of those qualities in abundance - was a headless chicken. Mooney has his attributes: he's great if you play the ball into his feet in a bit of space where he can bring the midfield into play. He'll also score some great goals if his confidence is up. But if he's low on confidence, he doesn't have a decent strike partner who'll do everything for him, or there isn't much pace in the team to create the space he needs, he's an absolute passenger. When he pretends to be fouled rather than bothering to challenge for an aerial duel for the 50th time in a match, you'll know what I mean.

We didn't offer him a new contract until Dagnall went to India, but I believe we have done so now. Think it's only a year at a reduced salary, so both you and the Ewes should be in pole position to sign him as you're both offering two years.

Thanks JS, an honest appraisal. I'm wondering what Phil has in mind given your description. Hopefully he will also bring in another forward to compliment his style. Love your signature by the way, hope you have more success than we did playing Morecambe, the joys of Div 2 eh?

You wouldn't suggest playing him on his own in a 4-5-1, then ? :blush: (Mrs Blue will have a field day, here)

Sounds like BBBC.He should fit in with us.:winking:

You wouldn't suggest playing him on his own in a 4-5-1, then ? :blush: (Mrs Blue will have a field day, here)

Heh. I actually can't think of a forward I'd less like to see play up front on his own. Honestly, I'm trying to think of one.

He needs a partner who is fast and good in the air to play on the shoulders of the defence and run the channels, so he can mince about in the #10 position and play pretty passes out to fast wingers.

Heh. I actually can't think of a forward I'd less like to see play up front on his own. Honestly, I'm trying to think of one.

He needs a partner who is fast and good in the air to play on the shoulders of the defence and run the channels, so he can mince about in the #10 position and play pretty passes out to fast wingers.

Yup , exactly what i thought --- Mooney really isnt the type of striker Brown should be going for. He just wouldnt fit into his style of play ... I 'd much prefer we go for a striker in the mould of Matt Fryatt or Will Hoskins -- pacey skillful strong strikers who always look likely to score in whatever role they are playing.

Yup , exactly what i thought --- Mooney really isnt the type of striker Brown should be going for. He just wouldnt fit into his style of play ... I 'd much prefer we go for a striker in the mould of Matt Fryatt or Will Hoskins -- pacey skillful strong strikers who always look likely to score in whatever role they are playing.

Doubt we would ever be able to afford this type of player, and doubt they would drop down to League 1 anyway

Doubt we would ever be able to afford this type of player, and doubt they would drop down to League 1 anyway

Matty Fryatt is dreamland. Hoskins did go to Oxford on loan at the start of last season but got injured very early so returned to Brighton so I'd think Hoskins is doable.

Back