• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Tv or not TV?

• Total voters

MK Shrimper

Striker
Curious to know what peoples thoughts are.... If every match could be beamed into your home, would you rather sit on your sofa on a Saturday afternoon, or would you still make the trip to the home of football that is Roots Hall? I know I attend sporadically but I'd much prefer to sit amongst the crowds and watch it in person.

Thoughts?

I'll be honest - if we are on telly, it does decrease the likelihood of me going to a game. Getting to Southend and back for an evening game is a bit of a pain and also means an evening of not seeing the children. So on those rare occasions when we are on the box, I'll get a pizza in, pour a nice glass of red, and watch it at home

But...nothing beats actually being at the game. I still try and get to as many weekend games as I can but in the new 'iFollow' world from 2019/20 I imagine my midweek trips will be even less frequent than they are now. Seeing as the club doesn't get much 'midweek money' from me anyway, being able to pay to watch midweek games mean they might actually get more of my dough overall.

I'll be honest - if we are on telly, it does decrease the likelihood of me going to a game. Getting to Southend and back for an evening game is a bit of a pain and also means an evening of not seeing the children. So on those rare occasions when we are on the box, I'll get a pizza in, pour a nice glass of red, and watch it at home

But...nothing beats actually being at the game. I still try and get to as many weekend games as I can but in the new 'iFollow' world from 2019/20 I imagine my midweek trips will be even less frequent than they are now. Seeing as the club doesn't get much 'midweek money' from me anyway, being able to pay to watch midweek games mean they might actually get more of my dough overall.

Bit different for those who don't live in the Southend area though. It's a 2hr drive for me (in good traffic) and to get to an evening game I'd have to leave about 2pm!

Nothing beats being at the game but sometimes circumstances dictate whether or not you can be there, so it would be a nice alternative. Would see crowds decrease though I have no doubt.

Bit different for those who don't live in the Southend area though. It's a 2hr drive for me (in good traffic) and to get to an evening game I'd have to leave about 2pm!

???

That's pretty much what I was saying!

Weekend games are fine as we have plenty of time to get down, but driving on a midweek evening means leaving stupidly early. And, in the case of my last midweek drive to Roots Hall, getting shunted from behind while in stationary traffic by some ****.

Sometimes when I'm freezing my gonads off in the West on a dark winter afternoon or evening I will admit the thought has crossed my mind. But at the end of the day there is nothing to beat watching the Blues live. After going away to Charlton (first league away for 6 years) I realised how much I had missed the fun of doing that and standing with the away faithful. Totally different atmosphere from the Hall.

As a Dad of 2 , I fail to see that as a negative ......... !

I just can't get to as many games as I used to due to other commitments. I'm only in Chelmsford but it still takes time getting to and from Roots Hall, if there is an option to watch on TV I lap it up, just for convenience. I do love coming to Roots hall when I have the time. The club don't miss out on any income with me not attending as when I do come it's a freebie with sponsors.

How about a combination of both? As a ST holder I also subscribe to iFollow (and via VPN can watch games live), this provides me with the opportunity to watch away games which I wouldn't have had previously, so in my view it's a win-win scenario. Of course if I can get to a local away game then I'll certainly try however surely football should be promoting choice to attract the maximum level of fan interest across all platforms?

How about a combination of both? As a ST holder I also subscribe to iFollow (and via VPN can watch games live), this provides me with the opportunity to watch away games which I wouldn't have had previously, so in my view it's a win-win scenario. Of course if I can get to a local away game then I'll certainly try however surely football should be promoting choice to attract the maximum level of fan interest across all platforms?

Bear in mind that when Chinese negotiators talk about a win-win scenario they mean they win twice.:winking:

Otherwise I agree with what you say.I'm happy to watch SUFC home ansd away, mostly on ifollow -apart from 2/3 live games per season.I get my live fix of games,these days,from being an Espanyol ST holder.

Can't beat being there, but life dictates that isn't possible for me nearly as often as I would like.

TV wouldn't mean I attend less games, but would mean I could watch them all - so I need a 3rd option really.

Interesting timing of thread for me personally as I've just got back from holiday today and watched the Charlton match on IFollow by the pool. It was a bit annoying not having commentary but overall I thought it was a pretty good experience. Decent quality stream and worth the cash. But had I been in the country Charlton away would have been a must attend game for me, especially living in SE London.

You can't beat being at the game, especially that moment when we score or walking out of the ground after a win with everyone still singing.

But for midweek games where the distances involve make attendance impossible for some fans, the streaming is a great offer. I think it's great news.

Interesting timing of thread for me personally as I've just got back from holiday today and watched the Charlton match on IFollow by the pool. It was a bit annoying not having commentary but overall I thought it was a pretty good experience. Decent quality stream and worth the cash. But had I been in the country Charlton away would have been a must attend game for me, especially living in SE London.

You can't beat being at the game, especially that moment when we score or walking out of the ground after a win with everyone still singing.

But for midweek games where the distances involve make attendance impossible for some fans, the streaming is a great offer. I think it's great news.

You can get audio commentary (from BBC Esex) at the same time, simply by opening up another tab.

You can get audio commentary (from BBC Esex) at the same time, simply by opening up another tab.

Yeah thanks for that although I was on my iPad and it wouldn't work in the browser so I had to use the app. With the app you can only choose video or audio not both.

I could have maybe done the audio in browser and video on the app but I've only just thought of that - D'oh!

Might try it tonight for the Shrewsbury game.

Back