• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Liverpool Red Sox sold

Yorkshire Blue

Super Moderator⭐
Staff member
Apparently the owners of the Boston Red Sox have agreed to buy the Liverpool EPL franchise.

Got to say this looks a good match up. Both franchises are notable for the annoyingness of their fans and for long droughts without winning the title.

Neither franchise managed to make it to the play-offs last season, with Boston missing out on the Play-Offs and Liverpool missing out on the Champions (sic) League.

With Manchester United plc already aligned with the obnoxious Yankees, this was a natural match.

Bugger... I was quite enjoying the turmoil of it all to be honest. Hicks and Gillett attempting a gutting of the boardroom to alleviate the coup is, quite possibly, one of the most brilliantly ballsy desperation moves in boardroom football I've heard of.

Which begs the ovious question - which US sports franchise would best match SUFC?

They need to be a historically a bit rubbish, with occasional bouts of brilliance. They should be based on the coast and better than whatever team we match Col Ewe with.

Which begs the ovious question - which US sports franchise would best match SUFC?

They need to be a historically a bit rubbish, with occasional bouts of brilliance. They should be based on the coast and better than whatever team we match Col Ewe with.

Anything from Cleveland, probably... Although possibly the Bobcats?

In baseball terms we're probably more of a minor league franchise, probably somewhere around AA.

I couldn't tell you who Col Ewe were as I don't follow College baseball.

Anything from Cleveland, probably... Although possibly the Bobcats?

I wondered about Cleveland teams, but they are unbelivably tortured. We have had some good times recently, whilst no Cleveland team has won a championship since the 1960s. Maybe a team who has had a brief bit of success, then gone quickly back down to earth, like the Seattle Seahawks (NFC Champions in 2005 but rapidly deteriorated thereafter).

Open to suggestions from the NHL and MLB, two leagues I don't know much about.

Bugger... I was quite enjoying the turmoil of it all to be honest. Hicks and Gillett attempting a gutting of the boardroom to alleviate the coup is, quite possibly, one of the most brilliantly ballsy desperation moves in boardroom football I've heard of.

Are you kidding - this move has only turned the turmoil up a notch! The board have accepted the bid but the owners haven't. If RBS step in in the next couple of weeks then it's likely that they'll approve the sale so expect Gillet & Hicks to be desperately trying to raise cash and stave off the bank.

Are you kidding - this move has only turned the turmoil up a notch! The board have accepted the bid but the owners haven't. If RBS step in in the next couple of weeks then it's likely that they'll approve the sale so expect Gillet & Hicks to be desperately trying to raise cash and stave off the bank.

The difference being that, now, there appears to be something promising on the horizon and both Hicks and Gillett have allegedly been blacklisted by the only financiers who'd touch the investment with a bargepole. Although, I'm slightly baffled as to why they haven't tried to oust the board members sooner, or is it a case of this debacle finally giving them the right ammunition/reasoning?

Apparently the owners of the Boston Red Sox have agreed to buy the Liverpool EPL franchise.

Got to say this looks a good match up. Both franchises are notable for the annoyingness of their fans and for long droughts without winning the title.

Neither franchise managed to make it to the play-offs last season, with Boston missing out on the Play-Offs and Liverpool missing out on the Champions (sic) League.

With Manchester United plc already aligned with the obnoxious Yankees, this was a natural match.

It is excellent timing, new owners to change Liverpool's name to Liverpool Red Sux?

The Chicago Bears.
Er, 17-3 cough, cough, cough :winking:

Well they crossed my mind (good in 2006, not very good now), but the 3-1 start prevented me from suggesting it as that's a bit better than Southend the moment :smile:

Chicago's schedule (Carolina, Seattle, Washington and Buffalo) over the next few weeks looks promising, but if you've got a papier-maché thin offensive lines like ours, it's never going to be easy.

Martin Broughton seems to think that Hicks/Gillett don't have a leg to stand on in regards to their attempt boardroom antics, given that they signed written undertakings that only Broughton himself could change the boardroom structure and personnel.

Well, that's a bit foolish really, isn't it...

Martin Broughton seems to think that Hicks/Gillett don't have a leg to stand on in regards to their attempt boardroom antics, given that they signed written undertakings that only Broughton himself could change the boardroom structure and personnel.

Well, that's a bit foolish really, isn't it...

Foolish,yes,but also highly amusing!

Back