• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

local MP does a runner after being quizzed on £19k expenses claim for food

Smiffy gets through that amount of food in a month and Ldnfatso eats more than that at a weekend.:dim:

I'm no fan of Amess (apart from his Brass Eye appearance), but does this look a bit of a non-story to anyone else?

The headline makes it sound like an MP has fraudulently made a massive claim (like the duck island, non-existant mortgage and fridge magnet scandals), and then gone on the run from a police investigation.

What has actually happened is that an MP has claimed an allowance to which he is entitled (one of his job perks), and then not wanted to answer unsolicited questions from a wannabe hack.

The £400 a month food bill certainly doesn't seem overly excessive to me, and much as the man might be a bit of a t*sser I can't blame him for not wanting to answer questions from a 'journalist' that could pen a line like this:

"When the Echo tried to quiz him on the claim, while he was out canvassing in Westcliff, he run away from us and hid in a hairdressers."

I'm no fan of Amess (apart from his Brass Eye appearance), but does this look a bit of a non-story to anyone else?

The headline makes it sound like an MP has fraudulently made a massive claim (like the duck island, non-existant mortgage and fridge magnet scandals), and then gone on the run from a police investigation.

What has actually happened is that an MP has claimed an allowance to which he is entitled (one of his job perks), and then not wanted to answer unsolicited questions from a wannabe hack.

The £400 a month food bill certainly doesn't seem overly excessive to me, and much as the man might be a bit of a t*sser I can't blame him for not wanting to answer questions from a 'journalist' that could pen a line like this:

"When the Echo tried to quiz him on the claim, while he was out canvassing in Westcliff, he run away from us and hid in a hairdressers."

Some of the examples they have been giving are a little weak (yes i dont like the tories but the ones for having secutary employing your sister for example and claiming its odd their hundred miles away , obviously shows these people have neither heard of a fax, email or even post (i know of plenty of secutiries that live at differnet ends of teh country and tyope up audio transcripts and emailed documents ).

Its good they went for the ridiculious ones , but can we drop this now an concentrate on imoprtant things like North Korea possibly reigniting their conflict ?

But while im here you might want to vote Lib Dem next week :D
http://www.facebook.com/ext/share.php?sid=85560843642&h=ZISwQ&u=Z5CEM&ref=nf

I think Amess saw an Echo reporter approaching him and ran home because he assumed someone had stolen a lawnmower from his shed or vandals had caused £150 worth of damage to his car.

The £400 a month food bill certainly doesn't seem overly excessive to me,

obviously shows these people have neither heard of a fax, email or even post

...but can we drop this now an concentrate on imoprtant things like North Korea possibly reigniting their conflict ?

Woah there! A couple have strayed from the herd, where are the sheepdogs when you need them?

We can't have that kind of stating-the-bleeding-obvious-independant-thought around here.

;)

We get through that at our household but to be fair we have a lot more mouths to feed.

I take it the problem is that he shouldnt be claiming food allowances, considering he has a wage to feed himself?

We get through that at our household but to be fair we have a lot more mouths to feed.

I take it the problem is that he shouldnt be claiming food allowances, considering he has a wage to feed himself?

That's the system's fault though not his surely?

I'm sure if our respective employer's offered to pay for all our food on expenses every single one of us would take them up on the offer.

my understanding is that this food allowance is only for the second home too. not sure if that makes any differance

I'm sure if our respective employer's offered to pay for all our food on expenses every single one of us would take them up on the offer.

true, doesn't stop A-mess being a ******* ****er though. Plus with his son banged up that's one less mouth to feed (still paid by the taxpayer though)

As taxpayers, that makes you and me his employers and I don't remember giving the green light for him or any other MP to use my money for his/her own gain. I would have thought that £64,000 a year would be ample to provide food for his own table without having to claim it back as expenses. Granted, he isn't one of the worse but it still sticks in the throat that my hard earned is not being used on what I would expect.

I would have thought that the real issue that is making these guardians of ours really get worried is that they are facing a bloody nose in the European and County Council elections and the very real threat of losing their seats at the next election because this time the voters might not forget so quickly.

Anyone fancy standing and in need of a campaign manager then let me know, we didn't do bad back in 1997.

Back